BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Garage List
it is a convertible, manual, 40K miles, non-sport, and the suspension is already feeling mushy.

I daily drive the car and plan to do a few autocrosses a year. looking for a firmer ride and small drop in height.

BMW m performance suspension parts apparently don't work for the e88 according to BMW and Tischer.

suspension will have to work reasonably well with run flats.I will use run flats for dd due to my 70 mile each way commute to work 3 times a week in the winter.
I am open to using different set of tires for autox but would like to avoid comfort issues when I dd the run flats in Michigan.

the car is on 17" staggered OEM set of wheels

anyhow looking forward to any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoe Ulbeht View Post
it is a convertible, manual, 40K miles, non-sport, and the suspension is already feeling mushy.

I daily drive the car and plan to do a few autocrosses a year. looking for a firmer ride and small drop in height.

BMW m performance suspension parts apparently don't work for the e88 according to BMW and Tischer.

suspension will have to work reasonably well with run flats.I will use run flats for dd due to my 70 mile each way commute to work 3 times a week in the winter.
I am open to using different set of tires for autox but would like to avoid comfort issues when I dd the run flats in Michigan.

I'd install some Koni FSD's (better DD shock than the Yellow) with the stock springs (monster truck ride height is better for potholes) and remove the alignment pin, and then go from there.
      06-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Quote:

I'd install some Koni FSD's (better DD shock than the Yellow) with the stock springs (monster truck ride height is better for potholes) and remove the alignment pin, and then go from there.
unfortunately it looks like the FSD are not available for the e88 according to the KONI website. bummer
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
unfortunately it looks like the FSD are not available for the e88 according to the KONI website. bummer
They should be the same thing...

EDIT: The shocks share the same part numbers, also checked with other brands, and it's the same situation (when not including springs)
      06-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
reading more through the many posts and technical advices online, I gravitate towards
the Bilstein b6 that are 10 step adjustable keeping stock springs. and then if I still need more roll control, thicker sway bars.

oh and probably I should do the rear subframe bushings at the same time as shocks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@strutmonkey View Post
Your best option is a Koni Sport/Eibach kit. Shocks are adjustable to the firmness you want - soft to commute; firm to track. And the springs lower your car about 1" for more aggressive look and feel. Get fully assembled kit so you do it once, and do it right. Plus, you can keep your old suspension intact in case you ever want to sell/trade your car.

Attachment 1837990

Kit can use Swift springs and add front camber plates if you are serious track enthusiast.
Don't you have to remove the rear shocks to adjust them?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@strutmonkey View Post
Your best option is a Koni Sport/Eibach kit. Shocks are adjustable to the firmness you want - soft to commute; firm to track. And the springs lower your car about 1" for more aggressive look and feel. Get fully assembled kit so you do it once, and do it right. Plus, you can keep your old suspension intact in case you ever want to sell/trade your car.

Attachment 1837990

Kit can use Swift springs and add front camber plates if you are serious track enthusiast.
I think you are right. these don't look like the externally adjustable ones. which kind of makes it practically improbable to fine tune the rears.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Quote:
I think you are right. these don't look like the externally adjustable ones. which kind of makes it practically improbable to fine tune the rears.
Yep, the normal Koni rears have to be removed to adjust, which kinda defeats the purpose...TC Kline does make a Koni-based externally adjustable rear shock for our cars, but it's more expensive: http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs...Details943.cfm
      06-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I use my 128 vert as a DD this one did have oem M-sport and staggered 17". in March/April bought full set of Michelin PSS with a set of squared wheels. bought the TRW 1M/M3 control arms and Koni STR.T(Orange) keeping the oem springs. this setup feels perfect for DD as my route is 70% tollway and 30% State hwy and town drive.

I have zero adjustment capability no plans to track my vert, if I planned to auto-cross or track day then as suggested above I'd have gone Koni Sport with Eibach springs or adjustment and lowering Bilstein PSS10 (B16).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
New shocks/struts will make a big difference. I'm not interested in adjusting things so went with Bilstein B6's with stock Sport Pkg. springs. Big difference, nice firm but not harsh ride. You might want to upgrade your standard springs a tad. Lightly used Sport Pkg. springs should be cheap to retain stock height. Yellow Performance springs for a very small drop are pricey but should be available, or an Eibach/Koni or Bilstein package as suggested above for a little more drop. Quality dampers and quality tires will transform your ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I took a few months to think it over and search more.

I think I am between kw v1 coilovers and eibach pro- street.

these two are both kw made I suppose apart from the springs which are eibach ERS in the second case.

I would go with other manufacturers like ohlins, but driving in the snow/ salt mix of Michigan makes stainless steel parts very appealing compared to galvanized.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:57 AM   #12
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I took a few months to think it over and search more.

I think I am between kw v1 coilovers and eibach pro- street.

these two are both kw made I suppose apart from the springs which are eibach ERS in the second case.

I would go with other manufacturers like ohlins, but driving in the snow/ salt mix of Michigan makes stainless steel parts very appealing compared to galvanized.
Just FYI the Ohlins are mostly aluminum construction. I installed a set on my 135 here in FL last year. We'll see how they hold up in the next few years.

From the Ohlins site:
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/au...oad-track/?p=3

Based on a smart lightweight design and made of Aluminum for the most part, all shocks have suffered through vast corrosion tests according to ISO 9227. The result is a world wide 2-year limited warranty on all of our products.
      10-31-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
mermade
Rep
Drives: m5

kw v1 coilovers and eibach pro- street.
Between them yes only difference is the springs, id go for the KW all day long
Appreciate 0