BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #23
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson View Post
... What I wanted was a two door, smaller, RWD sports car that does not sacrifice the back seat. 1er fits the bill perfectly ...
BINGO!
Everybody has made excellent points about people views on price. My original post was to point out how contradictory some of the most popular complaints are which further backs up the the suggestion that people are just haters.
      06-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #24
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHerb View Post
My favorite complaints about the 1-series are as follows:

"It's made for people who can't afford BMW's."
"It's too expensive."
Those are my favorites, too. On the first one, last time I checked, it IS a BMW. i6 engine, BMW design, more-or-less same materials and quality as a 3 Series. And it handles better than a 3 or the 5. Paid for a BMW, got a BMW and it's ALL BMW. Period.

Which leads to the second point. Critics can't suck and blow. If it's made for those that can't afford a BMW but it is a BMW (with all the requisite design, quality and performance aspects that are expected of the marque), it is defacto a good deal. But don't stop there. Compare a 128i to a GTI, WRX, RX-8, Mini and it fares very well in terms of value. Compare a 135i to a Boxter, A5 and countless other competitors and it also fares extremely well, particularly in terms of performance:cost.

When the M1 comes along, it will take all the strengths and make them stronger.

But hey, I'm beyond caring what others think: I have my 128i and I love it.
      06-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Oh ya, and the people who say "it's made for people that can't afford a BMW" probably can't afford a BMW themselves. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
      06-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #26
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudw View Post
Oh ya, and the people who say "it's made for people that can't afford a BMW" probably can't afford a BMW themselves. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
Ignorance is even uglier I especially like the 'poor man's BMW' comments from drivers of C-class Benzes with 150hp and cloth seats

I couldn't give a crap what people think of the car or how much money they think I have - if I wanted to look large for the general public then a new Cayenne (basic diesel, but we're on about flashin' here) would have cost a grand more, tops, than my 130i...which incidentally doesn't upset the beanfreaks, eco-hypocrites and militant cycling lesbians nearly as much as some other 'status' symbols, but is through and through a proper BMW. i.e is manageably sized, nimble, and when I drive it I look like this
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #27
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirty View Post

I couldn't give a crap what people think of the car or how much money they think I have - if I wanted to look large for the general public then a new Cayenne (basic diesel, but we're on about flashin' here) would have cost a grand more, tops, than my 130i...which incidentally doesn't upset the beanfreaks, eco-hypocrites and militant cycling lesbians nearly as much as some other 'status' symbols, but is through and through a proper BMW. i.e is manageably sized, nimble, and when I drive it I look like this
Where do i sign up to your fan page? That was one epic post and i LOVED it!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #28
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

haha love the idea that the 1er is a poor mans BMW, for me it really was not a money issue when deciding on a 1 or 3 series, I could have gotten a fully loaded 328 or a 335 with a few options for the price of my 135... I traded in a 350z for the 1er because IMO the 1er is a classy 350z with a back seat, trunk space and more power... I do agree that for some the 3 would be better with the 4 door option, Ive seen a couple 1er's with car seats in the back and wondered how much of a hassle it is for them to take the kids in and out...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #29
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I got to admit that the world is full of haters... for whatever reason, they can't afford a BMW, some jerk in a BMW cut them off in traffic, their 20 year old oldsmobile just drove it's last mile, etc,etc. SOME of the blog comments that I have read just confirm that some people just don't get it. I know that a Mustang GT is cheaper, a caddy CTS has a bigger back seat, a new camaro is easier to get power gains from basic bolt ons, and any SRT 8 product has an awesome exhaust note.... but I will buy the car that excites me, not them! In this day and age, people feel that is their right to share their opinion in any format that is available to them... I get the choice of paying attention or not!!!
      06-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #30
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudw View Post
+1
Just ignore those idiot comments, they can come back when they can afford one themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirty
Ignorance is even uglier I especially like the 'poor man's BMW' comments from drivers of C-class Benzes with 150hp and cloth seats

Lol, militant cycling lesbians But yeah just ignore those idiots, as long as you are enjoying the car, that's what counts
      06-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
dbtk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Not every secretary, middle manager, or Euro poser needs to like the 1 series. I revel in the fact that most 3er owners do not like the 1er's styling. The 1er harkens back to when the entry level BMW was more for the driving enthusiast who did not need nor want all the luxury of more expensive BMW variants. I only wish the 1er was even more "ugly" and had less "luxury" (read moon roof, auto wipers, etc.) so that less people would buy it. I bought it because it is the closest modern car that I can get to my old 1982 320iS.
      06-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #32
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtk View Post
I only wish the 1er was even more "ugly" and had less "luxury" (read moon roof, auto wipers, etc.) so that less people would buy it. I bought it because it is the closest modern car that I can get to my old 1982 320iS.
I love mine, but I do not want it to get any uglier.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #33
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

"Poor man's BMW" - What an asinine comment. I wonder how much 1Addicts have spent on mods relative to any other series owners. I spent nearly $3k before 450 miles just on "cosmetic" mods, including, but not limited to, Meisterschaft Touring HP, iCarbon diffusor, BMW Performance grills.

I don't even bother reading other bimmer list serves anymore, as it's obvious most BMW owners haven't a clue what the 1-series is all about.

pge
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #34
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'd rather drive a poor man's BMW than a rich man's Kia. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #35
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I'd rather drive a poor man's BMW than a rich man's Kia. ; -)
Did you get rid of your 135i? You sig has 335i listed?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #36
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Did you get rid of your 135i? You sig has 335i listed?
Nope - still got it - but someone on this site called their 135i a "Short Wheelbase 335i" and I liked it a lot so am using that as the description. (I was however, briefly tempted by the 335is but SWMBO would have put the ex-nay on that notion. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #37
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Nope - still got it - but someone on this site called their 135i a "Short Wheelbase 335i" and I liked it a lot so am using that as the description. (I was however, briefly tempted by the 335is but SWMBO would have put the ex-nay on that notion. ; -)

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #38
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Here's the problem:

If you compare the 135i the the 335i, then yes, the one looks like a cheap, squished 3-series with vinyl seats.

But that's a bad comparison. They may have the same engine and share a lot of bits, but the 335 is a typical German power sled and is made for getting down the road quickly and in comfort.

The 135 is an attempt at an honest to goodness sports car. It doesn't just get down the road . . . it devours it (and fairly comfortably too).

Here's a better comparison:

All of these cars are similar in price and power numbers:

STi
Evolution
370z
135i

I know which one I'd rather be living with day to day . . .

135 isn't ugly. I'll side with Edmunds and say she's a butter-face.
Appreciate 0