12-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #353
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwautoxer View Post
The dealership serviced the differential at 34634 miles using 3 units of "83-22-2-282-583 Hinterachs-Getriebeol SAF-XJ:832514." This is quoted from the service invoice.

I called the service advisor and questioned the fluid used because:

* Its the fluid with friction modifier

* Its different than the fluid used at the 1200 mile service which was 83-22-2-148-560XJ

* The tech and I had talked about differential fluid in the past and about what constituted normal differential noise in tight, slow speed corners. I consciously chose to retain the fluid that did not have the friction modifier with the intention of having the maximum locking ability in the differential.

The service advisor talked with the tech who immediately understood my question and explained the reason for changing the type of fluid. He said that about a year ago BMW issued a service bulletin specifying the use of fluid with friction modifier in all M cars thereafter. He indicated that this was to address wear issues.

Has anyone else had this happen and received this explanation? My tech is a sharp and reliable guy that I respect. I'm not questioning his work, rather I am interested in gaining insight about wear in the locker versus locking action that is as positive as possible.

Another interesting sidelight is that I took the 1M in for service about 220 miles after the "SERVICE" message appeared in the instrument cluster display. When the service advisor printed out the service information from the key fob, it showed an engine oil and filter change was due, but the manual transmission fluid, differential fluid, and sparkplugs were not due for replacement for another 2400 miles. I later got a call from the service advisor that the tech had hooked the car to the scope and that it showed the transmission, differential, and sparkplugs were due for service at the same time as the engine oil and filter change. Seems strange that the key fob and vehicle computer aren't in sync.

From what I understand about the +FM addictive: is that it is only effects the noise that the LSD friction clutches produce at low speed(full lock) turns(like when parking or reversing. I don't really know IF it(+FM fluid) allows the clutches to work slower or now. People have only said that the +FM fluid will reduce the noise and not effect performance ie: lockup of the LSD.

As for the key fob not being in sync with the car... perhaps your car has CA and you don't insert the fob into the slot very often? I've heard that the key fob's don't always have up to date info - from the car - like you'd think. So I am not surprised by your fob being out of sync with the car.

Maybe @e36addict or @Drivehard or @MightyMouseTech can lend their expertise to this subject.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #354
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
From what I understand about the +FM addictive: is that it is only effects the noise that the LSD friction clutches produce at low speed(full lock) turns(like when parking or reversing. I don't really know IF it(+FM fluid) allows the clutches to work slower or now. People have only said that the +FM fluid will reduce the noise and not effect performance ie: lockup of the LSD.

As for the key fob not being in sync with the car... perhaps your car has CA and you don't insert the fob into the slot very often? I've heard that the key fob's don't always have up to date info - from the car - like you'd think. So I am not surprised by your fob being out of sync with the car.

Maybe @e36addict or @Drivehard or @MightyMouseTech can lend their expertise to this subject.

Dackel
Slightly off topic but that's an interesting quote Dac.

My understanding was that the CA key fobs used a non rechargeable battery and therefore shouldn't be put into the slot anyway?
Mine has the CA and I've changed the fob batterys once they're standard non chargeable items so I've never put my fob into the slot since I've had the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #355
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

going off topic some more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS375 View Post
Slightly off topic but that's an interesting quote Dac.

My understanding was that the CA key fobs used a non rechargeable battery and therefore shouldn't be put into the slot anyway?
Mine has the CA and I've changed the fob batteries once they're standard non chargeable items so I've never put my fob into the slot since I've had the car.
^^that is correct. But some say when you have the key(s) inside the car(with or without CA option) the car will transmit the car's data to the keys(wirelessly via some sort of dongle connection. Others say you must insert the key fob into the slot. I suspect its the later. Why else would your car have different info from your key fob info. ? Also... a lot of people are finding out that the info that the dealer's collect via the key fobs - and later gets reported to CarFax - that the mileage will vary. Just look at some of the reported mileage for the 1M's. The key fob data is not 100% correct.

So now lets get back to 1M diff and trans oil stuff.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #356
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

I see that the service bulletin shows a transmission fluid change along with a rear diff fluid change every ~50K KM, any recommended duration for lower mileage cars? I didn't see any records showing either was flushed and replaced for mine, and at 23K KM transmission definitely felt more notchy than when I picked up the car at 16K KM. Only found the quantity for the transmission fluid (2L) but not the diff fluid - anybody knows the going price for stock fluid from dealer vs Pentosin FFL-3 in North America (west coast)?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 02:02 AM   #357
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
I see that the service bulletin shows a transmission fluid change along with a rear diff fluid change every ~50K KM, any recommended duration for lower mileage cars? I didn't see any records showing either was flushed and replaced for mine, and at 23K KM transmission definitely felt more notchy than when I picked up the car at 16K KM. Only found the quantity for the transmission fluid (2L) but not the diff fluid - anybody knows the going price for stock fluid from dealer vs Pentosin FFL-3 in North America (west coast)?
I think BMW NA says to change the fluids every third oil change or 45K miles. I still think thats way too long. I would change your fluids now - especially since you say the gearbox feels more notchy. The diff uses 1.2l You can buy the Pentosin fluid from any Porsche dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #358
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Yeah, I won't hit 45K mile (~75K KM) in the next 3 years, and not changing transmission fluid for almost 7 years just doesn't fly with me - I will go get some fluid and have it changed by independent shop.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #359
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

FYI, to add to the knowledge base of this thread:

Just completed oil service -
83-21-2-365-946 / 83 21 2 365 946 is a valid part number for BMW's old 07-51-0-017-866 SAE 5W-30. My parts dept thinks the change is due to BMW no longer using Castrol products.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 02:45 AM   #360
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Well BMW has done it again.

I had my car in for Oil change last year (off my own back) car was around 14500miles and is now 15500miles ODO and when my clutch was replaced a couple of weeks ago i asked about the oil they had topped up with, they told my LT2! Obviously the wrong stuff so, i checked my service history from a year ago and what did they put in....Yes....LT2..

I e-mailed them and straight away they put their hands up and said they will change it free of charge, very honourable of them! However, when i questioned the damage the wrong oil may have done they wouldn’t answer. I kept emailing and eventually they said that it wasn’t the wrong oil (LT2) they had put in it was most likely a billing error and LT 5 was in the gearbox -where have we heard this before!- they will still change the oil just to be 100% sure that im running LT5. I told them i appreciate the offer of the oil change but i want some guarantee that the oil has not affected or will not affect the gearbox synchro, gear coatings in the future...I’m still waiting on a reply to this.
Does anyone know how detrimental this may be to the gearbox?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #361
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Hi guys, I saw the new oil when i came to our local official dealer, your dealer also changed ? 10w60 and 0w40

first time seen this oil
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #362
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

Well, here we are, and the fluid drama continues. I hate to open this can yet again, but I'm just trying to confirm what got put in my diff the other day, so here goes...

Part number on the invoice is 83-22-9-415-961
- my SA says it SAF-XJ w/o friction modifier
- parts desk says it's a 55L drum of something, but can't tell me which fluid and can't give me the 1L equivalent (called a couple dealers)
- online searches for the part number reveal very little, but I found some posts which say this is the 100ml(!) equivalent of 83-22-1-470-080 which has been superseded (apparently) by 83-22-1-407-870.

And to add final insult to the confusion, I found info that said the above 470-080/407-870 could be SAF-XJ or could also be MSP/A which is the "new" fluid used in the latest M3/M4/M5.

I probably shouldn't be worried, but because I can't find any record of what this part number relates to, I just want to be sure I didn't end up with tranny fluid in my diff.

FUN!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #363
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto649 View Post
Well, here we are, and the fluid drama continues. I hate to open this can yet again, but I'm just trying to confirm what got put in my diff the other day, so here goes...

Part number on the invoice is 83-22-9-415-961
- my SA says it SAF-XJ w/o friction modifier
- parts desk says it's a 55L drum of something, but can't tell me which fluid and can't give me the 1L equivalent (called a couple dealers)
- online searches for the part number reveal very little, but I found some posts which say this is the 100ml(!) equivalent of 83-22-1-470-080 which has been superseded (apparently) by 83-22-1-407-870.

And to add final insult to the confusion, I found info that said the above 470-080/407-870 could be SAF-XJ or could also be MSP/A which is the "new" fluid used in the latest M3/M4/M5.

I probably shouldn't be worried, but because I can't find any record of what this part number relates to, I just want to be sure I didn't end up with tranny fluid in my diff.

FUN!

Like I posted eons ago... every dealer uses a GENERIC part number for the oil they bill out to customers. That's because they buy the oil in bulk... and they need to figure out a way to bill each customer.

I would ask your dealership again what type of oil is in that barrel. SAF-XJ is just fine for the rear diff. Most dealers are using the +FM oil so that customers don't complain about diff noises due to the lsd clutches locking up. As long as your diff never had +FM... you will be ok. IF your car had +FM at one point... you will need to keep using +FM fluid.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #364
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

Hi guys, can anyone provide the current oil we should be using now by part numbers and name? I'm going in to get my diff, gearbox and engine oil replaced and need the correct parts so I can request them specifically. It's gotten confusing to tell what's needed in this long thread.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #365
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
Hi guys, can anyone provide the current oil we should be using now by part numbers and name? I'm going in to get my diff, gearbox and engine oil replaced and need the correct parts so I can request them specifically. It's gotten confusing to tell what's needed in this long thread.

Thanks
SEE page one. The only thing that has changed is BMW is phasing in the new Shell oil(BMW twin power 0w40) in place of Castrol. But both are fine to use.

The new BMW twin power 0w40 oil
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #366
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post

Thanks
I recently purchased the new oil in the United States and here's what I received:

SAE 5W-30 BMW Longlife-01. Part number is 83 21 2 365 946. The person at the parts desk looked up the previous part number for me (07 51 0 017 866) and confirmed that part number cross references to the new one. Dack, is there a way to update Metak's first post to include updated part numbers?

I also noticed the new oil is sold in liters, while the previous oil was sold in U.S. quarts (at least here in the United States). Just a heads up so you don't accidentally overfill.

Pictures below.

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 01:40 AM   #367
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I recently purchased the new oil in the United States and here's what I received:

SAE 5W-30 BMW Longlife-01. Part number is 83 21 2 365 946...
^^Thanks. I updated the first page of this thread with your post!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #368
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Thanks for the update guys, I'm taking my car in for an oil change in a couple of weeks..hopefully up here in Canada we got the same new stuff from Shell
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #369
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Hey guys,

Just gave my dealer a call to see what oil they will be using in my 1M in a couple of weeks, this is the response:

Castrol EDGE Professional TWS 10W-60 Full Synthetic
Part #: 83-12-2-219-730

Can someone confirm this is good to go?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #370
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Hey guys,

Just gave my dealer a call to see what oil they will be using in my 1M in a couple of weeks, this is the response:

Castrol EDGE Professional TWS 10W-60 Full Synthetic
Part #: 83-12-2-219-730

Can someone confirm this is good to go?
NoGo!! That is the wrong oil. That oil is for the e9x, e6x & e46 ///M cars with the S-coded engines.

The 1M has a N54, so it takes the SAME OIL as a 135i does. Namely either Castrol LL1 rated oil or the new Shell LL1 rated oil. You can use any of these grades: 5w30, 5w40, 0w40 & 0w30. Most go with the 0w40 because it offers the widest outside temp range.

What ever oil you use make SURE it says: "BMW Approved LL1" or "Long Life 1" rated.

The correct oil is still listed on PAGE ONE of this thread. Go have a look.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #371
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Dackel!

The rep actually emailed me to say he made a mistake with the part number (ya right...). I told him the correct one from page 1 and they said that's what they will use.

I will double check when I go for the service to make sure!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #372
jaymcars
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Florida 1M frustrated Owner

Hello all, I took to closest dealer for check up and oil change and was incredibly frustrated when they do not know what the car is and act like they know it all and that I'm being silly or over-cautious. Needless to say I took the car from there and having it transported (by the dealer) to a BMW dealership about 40 minutes away. The SA promised to watch it carefully and asked me to send him an email with exactly the services it needs. I've read through this thread and tried my best to piece together what is currently the best for the 1M. The car has 19,399 miles on her. What do you guys think of this email to the SA?

Hi Eric, here is some initial info on my 1 Series M Coupe.
It was a Limited production Motorsport model, with 335hp high-output version of N54 twin-turbo engine.
Due to the low production of only 740 in the U.S., the car calls for very specific Maintenance Schedule and specific fluids and part numbers.
I am requesting the following services due per BMW’s schedule:
1. Gearbox Fluid flush and change: Manual transmission fluid MTF-LT-5 (P/N 83 22 2 167 666)
2. Differential Oil: Specially formulated rear differential oil, (BMW part number 83-22-2-282-583) SAF-XJ
3. Engine Oil: “M Twin Power Turbo” SAE 0W-40 or SAE 5W-30 BMW Longlife-01. Part number is 83 21 2 365 946. (please make SURE it says: "BMW Approved LL1" or "Long Life 1" rated)

What do you guys think?? Thanks!!!
'08 M5 BSM/Black 6MT- GONE; '03 M3 Jet Black/Black, 6MT- GONE; '03 M5 Carbon Black/Silverstone, GONE; '11 e90 M3, LMB/Ext Black, 6MT- GONE '11 e93 M3, LMB/Ext Black, DCT- GONE; '11 1M BSM/Black, '17 M2 Long Beach Blue/Black, 6MT; '11 1M Valencia Orange/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #373
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymcars View Post
Hello all, I took to closest dealer for check up and oil change and was incredibly frustrated when they do not know what the car is and act like they know it all and that I'm being silly or over-cautious. Needless to say I took the car from there and having it transported (by the dealer) to a BMW dealership about 40 minutes away. The SA promised to watch it carefully and asked me to send him an email with exactly the services it needs. I've read through this thread and tried my best to piece together what is currently the best for the 1M. The car has 19,399 miles on her. What do you guys think of this email to the SA?

Hi Eric, here is some initial info on my 1 Series M Coupe.
It was a Limited production Motorsport model, with 335hp high-output version of N54 twin-turbo engine.
Due to the low production of only 740 in the U.S., the car calls for very specific Maintenance Schedule and specific fluids and part numbers.
I am requesting the following services due per BMW’s schedule:
1. Gearbox Fluid flush and change: Manual transmission fluid MTF-LT-5 (P/N 83 22 2 167 666)
2. Differential Oil: Specially formulated rear differential oil, (BMW part number 83-22-2-282-583) SAF-XJ
3. Engine Oil: “M Twin Power Turbo” SAE 0W-40 or SAE 5W-30 BMW Longlife-01. Part number is 83 21 2 365 946. (please make SURE it says: "BMW Approved LL1" or "Long Life 1" rated)

What do you guys think?? Thanks!!!
^^Looks good to me!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #374
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Just got back from dealer with an oil change. This look good to you guys?

Appreciate 0