BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #45
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
I got the M Factory helical for my 135i. It is an improvement but definitely not a night and day improvement. It will make hooning around a lot more enjoyable but as far as actual grip and performance, the stock e-diff worked just as well. I don't notice much of a difference with the LSD. Maybe I need to drive a stock diff 135i and my car back to back to really notice it
Interesting. I've been thinking about adding an LSD in the coming year, but I've been waffling on it a little. Neither my 911 nor Cayman had a mechanical LSD, and no current McLaren cars come with one, so there is some precedent for having an electronic LSD in fast cars.
It's definitely an upgrade worth getting, but I'd recommend doing coilovers, m3 control arms, and proper tires before spending big money on an LSD that may or may not be worth the investment to you.
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      12-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #46
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
It's definitely an upgrade worth getting, but I'd recommend doing coilovers, m3 control arms, and proper tires before spending big money on an LSD that may or may not be worth the investment to you.
I think coilovers are overkill for my usage, but I've already got m3 control arms, new rear toe arms, a M3 front sway bar, a Bilstein B12 kit, Dinan camber plates and shock mounts and Whiteline two-piece RSFBs sitting in my house waiting for install next month. I already ditched the run-flats, so the LSD would be the final piece.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #47
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I think coilovers are overkill for my usage, but I've already got m3 control arms, new rear toe arms, a M3 front sway bar, a Bilstein B12 kit, Dinan camber plates and shock mounts and Whiteline two-piece RSFBs sitting in my house waiting for install next month. I already ditched the run-flats, so the LSD would be the final piece.
I desperately need a proper spring and damper setup, the stock suspension is trash
Appreciate 2
Gangplank1539.50
      12-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #48
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I got a MFactory 3.46 last Black Friday from Syncrotech. Did the install myself and reused everything except seals, there was no chance of saving them.

I didn't check anything. I just put things back where they came from. 20K+ later, no issues I know of.

BUT, I think I should have done measurements. I have a Torsen in my Focus and it acts completely different; you absolutely know it's there.
The 135, not so much. Vs the e-diff I don't feel it was night/day difference. Yes it'll help. But I don't see anyone who's really dug into 'tuning' the e-diff and chassis control. SOP is code out and get mechanical because I don't understand or like computers. Which works, but is an incomplete story.
Agreed. It's fine just removing the ediff feature, but you really need to change a few more things.

I did a little bit of messing around in the DSC module; ended up changing a bunch of brake and 'nanny' things that everyone who goes in there ends up coding-out, but I also decided to explore inputting 1M values in for the oversteer coefficients. It made DTC mode less like a useless gimmick mode, and more like a proper goldilocks step between the nanny state that is default, and sideways at the slightest breath of throttle. It's perfect for driving in the rain, as it doesn't interfere too quickly. You can get sideways and crank-out some serious wheel spin (128i spinning in second is hysterical) but it'll step in relatively gently when you get too far out of whack, which is reassuring.

The real difference made by the 'proper' diff being installed, happened after removing all of the nannies so that the darned thing could do its job. Now it's just a wonderful balance; grip when you need it, slip when you don't want it.
Could you expand more about what you did with the DSC module? I finally got around to disabling the Ediff on my car last night and it did make a good difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #49
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

... so, I had rear wheel speed sensor codes. Wasn't sure why, the sensors read voltage as they should.
Looked over the coding of my DSC. I don't know if I did it (99% likely) or if it was from something else, but the direction wasn't correct. They where reading forward as backwards.
I don't know how long I've had this happening. All I know is these codes did not show up until I started playing with ISTA/d. MHD & Carly never showed anything.

Havta go for a drive and see if it feels different or not, guessing it will.

*edit*
Ya that's much better. DTC, WOT and just steer. No more snap oversteer or throttle cut.

Last edited by iminhell1; 12-21-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #50
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Could you expand more about what you did with the DSC module? I finally got around to disabling the Ediff on my car last night and it did make a good difference.
I disabled brake wear compensation, changed the front brake pressure model (didn't make much of a difference), changed the oversteer (uebersteerung) coefficients (both 0 and 1_2) to 1M values, and did the usual nanny coding.

Post 90 for the 1M values I speak of:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1216642&page=5

This link has the "usual nanny coding":
https://bmw135iblog.wordpress.com/20...track-nannies/
duder13767.00
      08-31-2019, 02:22 PM   #51
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I disabled brake wear compensation, changed the front brake pressure model (didn't make much of a difference), changed the oversteer (uebersteerung) coefficients (both 0 and 1_2) to 1M values, and did the usual nanny coding.

Post 90 for the 1M values I speak of:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1216642&page=5

This link has the "usual nanny coding":
https://bmw135iblog.wordpress.com/20...track-nannies/
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I got my LSD installed. What’s weird is, after I coded out the e-diff in Protool, I went to change both the 0 and 1_2 Oversteer coefficients to the 1M values, but, when finalizing, it automatically kicks them to new values, 2 and 10. It won’t let me save 0 and 0. Any ideas???
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #52
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I got my LSD installed. What’s weird is, after I coded out the e-diff in Protool, I went to change both the 0 and 1_2 Oversteer coefficients to the 1M values, but, when finalizing, it automatically kicks them to new values, 2 and 10. It won’t let me save 0 and 0. Any ideas???
That's a little weird. Did you use the right coding mode? There's one that codes from your .MAN file, and one that codes to the car's defaults...
      08-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #53
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's a little weird. Did you use the right coding mode? There's one that codes from your .MAN file, and one that codes to the car's defaults...
Hmmm. I'm not sure. I just used ProTools and went into expert mode. When you click on a setting, it opens and gives you a bunch of options to select, which is where I choose 00. Everything else I've tried to change with it works.

I'll try to take a pic next time to show ya. Thanks!!
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #54
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

Was at active autowerke and was speaking to one of the owners and was told to stay away from quaiffe since it tents to push the car through corners rather than open completely and spin.. said to stay with salisbury gear instead! From a mechs mouth to the forum no experience tracking or whatever.. might wanna weigh options
      09-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #55
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
said to stay with salisbury gear instead!
A what now?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #56
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Was at active autowerke and was speaking to one of the owners and was told to stay away from quaiffe since it tents to push the car through corners rather than open completely and spin.. said to stay with salisbury gear instead! From a mechs mouth to the forum no experience tracking or whatever.. might wanna weigh options
Salisbury Differential is just an odd name for a clutch-type differential. Those actually tend to cause front-end push through corners (if it's a 1.5 or 2-way) because they lock up on deceleration and have pre-load on the clutches. The Quaife ATB diff, and other such mechanical gear-type diffs bias torque to whichever wheel has more traction when load is applied. They handle like an open diff putting around town.
      09-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #57
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Salisbury Differential is just an odd name for a clutch-type differential. Those actually tend to cause front-end push through corners (if it's a 1.5 or 2-way) because they lock up on deceleration and have pre-load on the clutches. The Quaife ATB diff, and other such mechanical gear-type diffs bias torque to whichever wheel has more traction when load is applied. They handle like an open diff putting around town.
maybe it was late and I heard the story inverted?? or he had a long day and meant to tel lit the other way around..
didn't like the idea of whichever gear pushing the car through corners..
wanted to chime in so the op doesn't break the bank only to b pissed off!
      09-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #58
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
why would anyone want the optional gear.. only to be pushed through corners??
again, I know nothing of tracking etc.. im new to dis , but true to dis!!! ya heard!!!!
      09-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #59
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
why would anyone want the optional gear.. only to be pushed through corners??
again, I know nothing of tracking etc.. im new to dis , but true to dis!!! ya heard!!!!
Because what makes you understeer into a corner can make you oversteer going out of the corner, if you catch my drift (pun intended). Plus, having the lock-up means you aren't just one-wheel peeling out of every corner. Also means you can do a burnout with both tires turning, if that's important to you...