BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
printerror
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i 6MT

DIY: Wheel Bearings (F/R)

My 128i developed a rotational "wub wub" sound lately, definitely speed dependent. I figured it was a wheel bearing but couldn't positively identify which one, so at 100k, I decided to simply swap them all. ~$360 later through BavAuto, I had new fronts (with bolts) and new rears (with Jesus clips and axle nuts).

Installation was a breeze. Up on stands, fronts were stupid easy. Wheel off, brakes off, four hub bolts off, slap on new hub/bearing, four new bolts, brakes on, wheel on. Maybe an hour to do both.

Rears were almost as easy. Parking brake set to "service position" in the center console, wheel off, brakes off. Disconnect the axle from the diff (6 bolts), impact off the axle nut, remove the axle. Attach slide hammer to hub, pull hub out, pull off the Jesus clip, setup bearing-puller (I use a cheap kit off Amazon), and rattle out the bearing. Clean all of the surfaces, apply axle grease to the bearing/knuckle, rattle it in with the Amazon kit. Grease the hub/bearing and press it into the bearing the same way. Grease the axle/hub, insert axle, snug the nut, reattach to the diff, and impact the nut to approximately six ugga-duggas. Dent the detents on the nut, reinstall brakes and wheels, and go do some skids to celebrate! (don't forget to de-service the parking brake).

Took about an hour each for the rear partly because of removing the axle, but also because my sister stopped by to borrow some Dynamat, which led to drinking a beer, which led to standing around doing nothing.

That it, easy DIY. Didn't take any pictures, didn't really need to.
Appreciate 1