BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #23
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1368633 View Post
Unlike a 135i, especially one with a automatic, you can reach highly illegal speeds in seconds all with an iphone in your right hand. Different strokes for different folks.
Again, this comes down to judgement, not how fast the car is. A miata will reach "put me in jail" speeds on a curvy and technical road more easily than most cars with twice the horsepower. It's up to the user whether they drive like this or not. If the user is so inattentive as to drive their automatic 135i (or whatever) at way illegal speeds with iphone in hand without even realizing it, that is a different matter entirely, and they don't deserve to be on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
- N54 & N55 are both DI, N52 is not. Carbon cleaning is required after a certain amount of mileage to keep things running smoothly
All the issues you mention besides this are N54 specific, and N55 has an improved PCV system over N54 to the extent that carbon cleaning can be deferred quite a way, possibly indefinitely if you track the car. I tracked my 2.0FSI and did a lot of top speed runs. That engine had as much of a carbon buildup issue as any DI engine, but when I took off the manifold at 70K miles with no cleaning my valves looked comparatively great as a result of lots of time at high RPM and load. Still, I'll concede this point in favor of the N52, since that engine being port fueled does not have the issue at all. Of course, DI does have performance benefits over and above port fueling, but I believe they are mostly not realized on a NA car without stratified combustion being enabled (better fuel economy, worse emissions, manufacturers can't do it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I'm not angry, I just think you're being sort of an internet bully, and quite arrogant to think that anyone is even interested in your opinion, much less feels obligated to provide you with a "worthy" enough debate. Your approval, or disapproval, or thoughts on the subject are completely irrelevant and uninteresting to me.

But keep talking about your cool bikes, we're really impressed.
I mentioned my bikes within the scope of the discussion, first with regard to my experience with NA engines and then in response to your question about why I'm not spending all my time driving my N55. Anyway, you entered the discussion on your own initiative, and there's no need to make it personal. But on a friendlier note, if you tried my bikes, you WOULD be impressed. Electric is the future, and it's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #24
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Again, this comes down to judgement, not how fast the car is. A miata will reach "put me in jail" speeds on a curvy and technical road more easily than most cars with twice the horsepower. It's up to the user whether they drive like this or not. If the user is so inattentive as to drive their automatic 135i (or whatever) at way illegal speeds with iphone in hand without even realizing it, that is a different matter entirely, and they don't deserve to be on the road.

All the issues you mention besides this are N54 specific, and N55 has an improved PCV system over N54 to the extent that carbon cleaning can be deferred quite a way, possibly indefinitely if you track the car. I tracked my 2.0FSI and did a lot of top speed runs. That engine had as much of a carbon buildup issue as any DI engine, but when I took off the manifold at 70K miles with no cleaning my valves looked comparatively great as a result of lots of time at high RPM and load. Still, I'll concede this point in favor of the N52, since that engine being port fueled does not have the issue at all. Of course, DI does have performance benefits over and above port fueling, but I believe they are mostly not realized on a NA car without stratified combustion being enabled (better fuel economy, worse emissions, manufacturers can't do it).

I mentioned my bikes within the scope of the discussion, first with regard to my experience with NA engines and then in response to your question about why I'm not spending all my time driving my N55. Anyway, you entered the discussion on your own initiative, and there's no need to make it personal. But on a friendlier note, if you tried my bikes, you WOULD be impressed. Electric is the future, and it's awesome.
In this thread - someone argues why people don't want an unreliable N54, or a weezy truck like N55 because they are faster.

Might as well buy a Mustang with that logic, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #25
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Well, the OP bought the car he wanted, and now wants to bump it up a little. It's not like he's going full bore on an engine build. Thanks for the feedback on the BPC tune. it would be awesome to see someone dyno both AA and BPC tunes back to back, but I doubt that'd ever happen. The Wind Breezes mentioned reliability issues with bumping up the power on an N52. Not a chance reliability would be an issue, since the DISA manifold is a stock N52 piece. He just wants to get back the HP that BMW left on the table so 3-series owners wouldn't be offended, and the stock tune that allows tolerance to lower octane fuels. Even though a DISA manifold is a pretty pricey way to go unless you score a used one on the cheap, it's a solid gain, especially for a NA engine. It's definitely on my list of "wants".
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #26
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Well, the OP bought the car he wanted, and now wants to bump it up a little. It's not like he's going full bore on an engine build. Thanks for the feedback on the BPC tune. it would be awesome to see someone dyno both AA and BPC tunes back to back, but I doubt that'd ever happen. The Wind Breezes mentioned reliability issues with bumping up the power on an N52. Not a chance reliability would be an issue, since the DISA manifold is a stock N52 piece. He just wants to get back the HP that BMW left on the table so 3-series owners wouldn't be offended, and the stock tune that allows tolerance to lower octane fuels. Even though a DISA manifold is a pretty pricey way to go unless you score a used one on the cheap, it's a solid gain, especially for a NA engine. It's definitely on my list of "wants".
It has already been done.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #27
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
It has already been done.
On the same dyno? I'd love to see the graphs.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #28
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
On the same dyno? I'd love to see the graphs.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=76
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #29
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I agree, I think the weight delta is the main issue - but it also happens that more of that weight is up front. Anyway, I was merely quoting you when I said "weight and balance."

I'm not angry, I just think you're being sort of an internet bully, and quite arrogant to think that anyone is even interested in your opinion, much less feels obligated to provide you with a "worthy" enough debate. Your approval, or disapproval, or thoughts on the subject are completely irrelevant and uninteresting to me.

But keep talking about your cool bikes, we're really impressed.
Well said, Bimmer Bob.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 02:09 AM   #30
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
I'm/we're just annoyed how some of the turbo guys constantly try and convince us the car we purchased was the 'incorrect one'. I shouldn't have to explain why I bought an NA car in the NA forum.

For the record, I've driven PLENTY of fast cars: Nissan Skylines, Silvias, Subaru STIs, a Toyota Chaser. Trust me, turbos are awesome and great fun, but somehow I still get a smile from the trusty ol N52. It's almost as if straight line acceleration isn't the only desirable part of an engine.

One of my favorite JDM cars I've driven was a '91 Honda Beat. It comes in at 1700lbs and a blistering 63hp. Absolute BLAST to drive. You can floor it and bang gears all day and never even think about getting into trouble. Then just dive bomb into a corner like it's your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
I had this happen, when I added the eurobox. But I solved this with the smooth after market air intake elbow.

It is a worth a try.
How do you like your engine setup combined with the 3.73? I'm going that route soon and I'd love to hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #31
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
I'm/we're just annoyed how some of the turbo guys constantly try and convince us the car we purchased was the 'incorrect one'. I shouldn't have to explain why I bought an NA car in the NA forum.

For the record, I've driven PLENTY of fast cars: Nissan Skylines, Silvias, Subaru STIs, a Toyota Chaser. Trust me, turbos are awesome and great fun, but somehow I still get a smile from the trusty ol N52. It's almost as if straight line acceleration isn't the only desirable part of an engine.

One of my favorite JDM cars I've driven was a '91 Honda Beat. It comes in at 1700lbs and a blistering 63hp. Absolute BLAST to drive. You can floor it and bang gears all day and never even think about getting into trouble. Then just dive bomb into a corner like it's your job.
I feel you, man. My first car was a 'slightly' used 1968 VW bug with only 53hp, and a manual transmission. The only thing I did to it was put an aftermarket exhaust on the car. Damn, was that car fun! Rip into the corners downshifting then stomp on the gas and upshift on my way out. According to the interwebs it weighed about 1745lbs, so very similar to the Honda Beat you drove. I was just a kid and it was an absolute blast! I'll never forget it.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-09-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #32
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I feel you, man. My first car was a 'slightly' used 1968 VW bug with only 53hp, and a manual transmission. The only thing I did to it was put an aftermarket exhaust on the car. Damn, was that car fun! Rip into the corners downshifting then stomp on the gas and upshift on my way out. According to the interwebs it weighed about 1745lbs, so very similar to the Honda Beat you drove. I was just a kid and it was an absolute blast! I'll never forget it.
We used to have a '72 Super Beetle. I don't recall what the HP or weight specs were, but I know it wasn't much, in either category. But the 4-speed manual tranny coupled with the very simple RWD/rear-engine chassis was great fun. I don't know if I've ever been in another street car with as much direct road feel.

On the other hand, my wife (GF at the time) nearly killed herself when she spun out on the Interstate in the rain. Fortunately, there wasn't any traffic on the road, and she didn't go into a wall or median or anything. But it spooked her pretty good.