BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #199
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i2 View Post
The 3.85 combined with single turbo is a little crazy on full on boost. The 3.15 should make it a little easier to hoof, we'll see.
If you are setting up a drag car I would look at doing a custom gear swap change. Even 3.15 is relatively short in the drag world. I would think you would want to stay in 4th gear or less and if you're trapping 120+mph that would require shifting into 5th even with the taller 3.08 stock ratio.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #200
The Blimp
Private
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I paid $1700 for the entire rear end. I thought that was a fair price. I wouldn't have paid much more than $2k since the "part out" price wouldn't yield much more than that if at all (based off EBAY prices).
Thats a good price if you ask me! Was this from a wreckers? I havent had any luck with wreckers and ebay is pretty pricey.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #201
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blimp View Post
Thats a good price if you ask me! Was this from a wreckers? I havent had any luck with wreckers and ebay is pretty pricey.
It was through eBay but I picked it up local for a bit under asking. The place was basically a chop shop that bought wrecked e46 and e9x m3s for part out. Some very nice cars were there with mainly expensive body panel damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #202
htx135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hey this is Jon from Houston.

I have a 2010 135i manual M sport and wanting to do the m3 swap. I found a local guy selling parts off his 2008 m3 coupe with a manual trans. Just trying to get to the bottom of what all I need. I see you swapped the whole rear end but I want to know if I can just swap the diff and have the driveshaft modded like you said or do I need the axels as well? Maybe a small parts list by chance??

Anything helps. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:02 AM   #203
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Seems like a nice conversion. And this thread must be dead. However I wonder what all the hype is about adding M parts to our 135's. I get it. I know the benefits of an LSD and upgraded bushings/mounts/suspension components. But isn't there something better? Don't M3 and 1M owners upgrade their components? How different are the M components from non M anyway? Forgive my naivety but I can't help but think there are aftermarket companies manufacturing superior parts to BMW M parts. Otherwise M car owners wouldn't be upgrading anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #204
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

The non m diff pingion joint to drive shaft snaps around 600hp if launching on slicks at the drag strip.
The axles are also stronger then non m.

If you upgrade a non m lsd and axles you are still limited to the strength of the pingion.

Once you have a bit of power the rear starts to squirm around so people upgrade all the arms and joints so its easier to control and behaves better under load. It gets dangerous when your going 3rd 4th with the rear squirming around.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #205
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
The non m diff pingion joint to drive shaft snaps around 600hp if launching on slicks at the drag strip.
The axles are also stronger then non m.

If you upgrade a non m lsd and axles you are still limited to the strength of the pingion.

Once you have a bit of power the rear starts to squirm around so people upgrade all the arms and joints so its easier to control and behaves better under load. It gets dangerous when your going 3rd 4th with the rear squirming around.
I understand all that. My point is I'm wondering if there is something better than going with all M parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #206
gmagnus7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i FBO N54 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
I understand all that. My point is I'm wondering if there is something better than going with all M parts.
Yes there is. Most people are fine with just the ///M stuff though. For the front you can upgrade to poly control arm bushings (superpro has ready to install versions), and adjustable camber plates. For the rear you can get stiffer and adjustable toe, wishbone, and guide rod control arms (manzo has stiff vulcanized rubber adjustables), more sturdy trailing arms (billet from revshift for example), poly bushings for the trailing and lower control arm, solid subframe bushings, poly diff bushings. If you wanted to go further, you can get poly sway bar bushings and adjustable end links to perfect your suspension.

Edit: You can also get upgraded axles for launches, or do all of those suspension components in combination with the M3 diff and axles (they'd swap right in to the E9X E8X subframe).
Appreciate 1
Skotcoop269.00