BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Joraq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Devastation!

While my CA was on vacation, and I was in the process of selling my car, the dealership and another salesman sold my CAR without my permission stating he wasn't clear I wanted it. MY question is: "unclear after a 1K deposit and order since 12/28"? He sold it after exactly 2 days. I don't even know what to do at this point, and after confronting him and hearing the lies, I still get mad just thinking about it. Obviously I won't order from them again. What would you do? I don't know if I can wait again, but what choice do I have?

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
essexcounty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Unfortunately, it is what it is - which is unscrupulous and beyond unprofessional.

But, if you want the car (which I HIGHLY recommend) and it seems like you do, since you ordered right around when most of us did, you should go elsewhere and redo it. You'll get your car relatively quickly. Best of luck and sorry about your predicament.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
I'd go down and kick him in his private parts.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Year1of1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50

get ur deposit back and head to another dealership.
2015 X1 - retired
2020 X5 M50i - On Order
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Joraq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was given my deposit know.. It just makes me mad that someone else is driving the car I made a long time ago after tracking it and all that, and i'm sitting here with nothing..lol.. it is sadly funny.. Actually I still have my 530i which I still can't sell and my old mazda. sorry for the ramble, just have to vent.. BTW, don't go to that dealership.!!

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

make them give you a new one at invoice for the error.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
SDDoye01
Private
Rep
Drives:

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

At least post their name here so others can avoid them. That sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraq View Post
BTW, don't go to that dealership.!!

J.
Which dealership?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Joraq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The dealership was Russel BMW in MD. The CA was Korey Matthews.. He called me on monday and asked my interest twice. I stated clearly twice that it was "my goal to purchase the car on Saturday".. The car was sold that same day. My CA was on vacation and I was on a vacation as well.. The understanding was that I was away and would return Saturday to buy the car. I found out on Monday that the car wasn't even held. The CA who sold the car foolishly admitted that making the phone conversation nearly moot to begin with.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
The dealership was Russel BMW in MD. The CA was Korey Matthews.. He called me on monday and asked my interest twice. I stated clearly twice that it was "my goal to purchase the car on Saturday".. The car was sold that same day. My CA was on vacation and I was on a vacation as well.. The understanding was that I was away and would return Saturday to buy the car. I found out on Monday that the car wasn't even held. The CA who sold the car foolishly admitted that making the phone conversation nearly moot to begin with.

J.
i cant imagine how frustrated you must feel.
I would stick with the dealer and make then give a dam good deal on pricing...they def. owe u!

gl and hope it works out
      03-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
MikeW
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW

I would be up in the GM's face, asking very pointedly "What are you going to do for me?" I'd push hard for a reorder at invoice, with maybe a VERY small markup.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I would be up in the GM's face, asking very pointedly "What are you going to do for me?" I'd push hard for a reorder at invoice, with maybe a VERY small markup.
Agree! I've heard of this happening before, and the "victim" was offered a replacement car at a much lower price to make up for the bad press, wait, and inconvenience... Let them try to "make to up to you".
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Forget reordering from that dealer unless it's BELOW invoice. Those guys work on commission and they shouldn't earn a cent of your cash after that stunt. I would post the phone #'s and names of the GM and the CA so concerned 1addicts can call them and let them know people have heard about their actions and will be purposely avoiding the dealership in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
Joraq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My CA, the one who was on vacation has been great and I believe she had little to nothing to do with this. Didn't she lose a sale and a potential customer. I don't really want to deal with the dealership again but am not sure. She gave me back my deposit and stated one will not be needed the next time. I guess my fear is that this event could happen again the next time. I would always be in fear that the car I ordered would be sold.

What makes the whole situation worse is the day before my car came I went to the dealership to see if it was there and decided to check out a new M3 sedan. I asked to see inside and was offered a test drive with guess who? The salesman who sold my car. We had a good conversation and I thought well of him as a result of the experience. The next day I came by the dealership and the car was unloaded. He was there along with the used car manager, gave me the keys and I checked it out. That is when I posted the "It is here" thread on the 14th. Soo.. when he called on Monday the 18th I thought he was speaking in my interest when he stated: "Someone is interested in your car and wants to buy it today, are you still interested.." Duh??!!!

He included to say that he had been told I was away and would return later in the week. Thinking he was looking out for my best interest, I stated "it is my goal to purchase the car saturday".. he asked twice and I confirmed twice..

After waiting all of Saturday for a call on the status, while thinking if my CA returned, i decided not to go thinking that the car would remain. I checked for it saturday and sunday to no avail. After confronting my CA and the individual who sold the car monday, he then admitted that it was sold that same monday and i seemed "unsure". I spoke to the manager that saw me the night of the car's arrival stating that their actions where unprofessional and not good for business.. He expressed some regret.

Later on I went to another dealership I've serviced my 530i with, not a place I love and spoke the general manager. I explained my situation and he said he would get me the best. He asked if I wanted someone in particular. I stated that I wanted someone I new from before and I test drove an automatic 135. I did not place an order cause I'm still annoyed that I have to re-wait and still have my 530i. I can, according to the bank keep both, but I have no desire too. I can take a hit and give the 530 to carmax if I can't sell it by the time the next 135 comes. I don't know, there has to be some lesson of patience in all of this... The waiting and obsessive tracking that we all experienced only has made the devastation of having it be sold, worse. If I had known it was going to be sold, I would have given the 530 away to carmax and bought it.

Sorry for the long post, this has been almost traumatic... at least for a fellow 1addict.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #16
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
another possibility is to force them to buy you 530 at a better price... then you would be saving a ton of money on sales tax....instead of 1500-2000 you would pay something like 100 bucks

post up their phone # i for one would go to bat for you

strength in #'s just like the guy who is getting his m3 for 60k!
      03-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #17
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Seems to me you can save thousands by staying with the same dealership, if you play your cards right. Having them make thousands less should be a decent punishment for you, I would imagine.

Doing something on principle is all well and good, but hit them in their wallet, and make out in the long run. Four months from now you won't think twice about the old dealership, but you'll be paying more for your 135i every month for years....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
CaliSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

You can always call BMW and let them know about the unprofessional manner in which the dealership handled your business, and that you demand some type of satisfaction, whether it be some form of punihsment handed down from BMW corporate or some $ savings on a new ride. BMW works hard to protect their good name, and I don't think they take kindly to unprofessional CAs ruining their name. I used to own a Lexus and when I took it to the dealership for a repair, it was a very unprofessional experience. I made one phone call to Lexus corporate, they made a phone call to the dealership, and I got an 800 dollar repair job for $250.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
My CA, the one who was on vacation has been great and I believe she had little to nothing to do with this.
J.
Admittedly the GM screwed over two people with this deal. Allowing one CA to take the commission off another CA's previously sold vehicle just reaks of dishonest management.

I talked to a fellow who sells Fords the other day and he had only made two sales since X-mas...Bimmers may be turning over better but the economy is tough.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #20
Joraq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I do feel that some of the injustice I've experienced is due to the economy. Perhaps the other CA hadn't made a sale in awhile. Either way, management knew and approved it. Which means they only care about the money as well. It seems they had no interest in keeping me as a customer and possibly thought I wouldn't go through with the deal when the only questions were if I would sell my car or trade it in to them.

My CA was embarassed when she returned , initially, almost not even trying to mention that my car was sold. Her statement was "all hell breaks loose when I'm not here".. The whole act was a cold reminder that the majority of people are only out for themselves. I will call BMW because I don't feel they should "get away" with what happened. I did not speak to all of the management at the dealership because I feel it will be pointless as they probably gave permission for the sale. Who knows what will come of this.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #21
1050Wien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Seems to me you can save thousands by staying with the same dealership, if you play your cards right. Having them make thousands less should be a decent punishment for you, I would imagine.

Doing something on principle is all well and good, but hit them in their wallet, and make out in the long run. Four months from now you won't think twice about the old dealership, but you'll be paying more for your 135i every month for years....
+ 1
This is exactly what I would try to do. Two months worth of car use (~ $1,000) plus pain and suffering from having to drove somehting other than a 135 (another $1,000) and your time of ordering, tracking, obsessing over the car again (another $1,000) = $3,000 under MSRP. They make peanuts on a car coming out of their allocation and you get a hell of a price.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #22
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I would agree, tell them the dealer they need to get serious about rectifying the situation because you are seriously considering going up the ladder to someone who will.

My dealer practically begged me to give them a good review in the survey, so I know that some dealers care what corporate believes people think of each dealer.