BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #243
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

Fell through

My lead fell through and I'm ok with it. It doesn't feel right to pay too much over MSRP on this car as that was never the spirit of the car in the first place.

So I'm still looking, trying to work the angles.

Starting to think about how I will outfit a 2012 335.................
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #244
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

TO BUCKEYEGIRL.
don,t u give up just right now 1 M IS MEANT TO BE......
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #245
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

too cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEM View Post
TO BUCKEYEGIRL.
don,t u give up just right now 1 M IS MEANT TO BE......
I appreciate the support you're so cute LOVEM. I will survive without the 1M Coupe. It's not like I have cancer. Although maybe I could work that angle to get higher on lists. Make a wish foundation for the over privileged.

I will hold out for MSRP-ish and I need the ED. Someone told me that all the ED slots were gone already. What does that mean? I'll pick it up from the parking lot out back I just need it to be in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #246
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

try to contact neal lvy as my previous post ask them if they can do euro del. for u.s. m.s.r.p try talking to ty whitting sales manager.. and try to use ur best feminie voice to convince him for euro delievery for us msrp or $1000.00 more max .. so far thats the only way u can fulfill your euro delivery plan. wish u luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #247
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks

I did talk to Neal and I thought he was great. Very informative and nice. He gave me some information that I didn't know and he's looking into something for me. I am a capitalist and so I understand a dealership needing to "make hay while the sun shines." It would tarnish the experience for me to pay a big up-charge.

When I fell in love with this car all those many months ago, I still remember Kay Siegler saying that this was a car for exactly me. Young driver without the cash for an M3. An enthusiasts car. That's me!

If you ask me we can blame Top Gear for giving that review and I suppose everyone else who loved the car. If you think about it, it really is absurd to buy a car you haven't test driven.......blah blah blah
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #248
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEM View Post
try to contact neal lvy as my previous post ask them if they can do euro del. for u.s. m.s.r.p try talking to ty whitting sales manager.. and try to use ur best feminie voice to convince him for euro delievery for us msrp or $1000.00 more max .. so far thats the only way u can fulfill your euro delivery plan. wish u luck.
That's the only way she could do it TODAY. Tomorrow is another day, just as you found, and another round of allocations will come out as we get into August. There are many dealers that will do ED at the ED MSRP, not the US MSRP or over.

I would love for one of our dealers that have posted in this thread to come clean on exactly how much back revenue they would lose on an ED deal for a 1M. For all we know it could be as little as $500.00. I can guarantee you that the dealer doesn't lose out on $3200 G-Dubs like the consumer does. I'll bet dollars to donuts that a dealer asking for US MSRP for ED is easily adding more than 2K to their profit margin, over and above what BMW NA has determined to be a profitable deal for the dealer on the sale.

As buckeye girl mentioned.. this is a car that BMW AG intended to be "affordable" and purchased by enthusiasts. Most dealers are in tune with this. Those that are marking the 1M up to M3 levels are simply gouging the individuals that opt to pay that price.. For those that pay the markup... I am sure they have their reasons, and all that really matters on an individual basis is that they are happy. Without a doubt, dealers have the right to make a few extra dollars on a sale, via " market adjustments" and dealer add ons, but I think that the consumer is much more likely to have a positive experience and bring more customers to the dealer via referral if the deal is as good or better for the customer than it is for the dealer. Again... BMW AG sets the ground rules here and establishes a price for which they feel that an ED sale is profitable for the dealer. I agree with buckeyegirl... it would tarnish the experience for me to have a dealer leverage my desire to do an ED delivery for their profit.

The ED program is a program that BMW AG has instituted to develop and further enhance owner loyalty. The recent program on CNBC about BMW highlights this very nicely. Undoubtedly, any person that experiences ED or PCD delivery is going to be happier with their purchase because of the experience, and therefore more likely to purchase another BMW in the future. A dealer that DENIES the customer an opportunity to experience ED for the sake of maximizing profit on the sale is simply greedy. I personally wouldn't work with such a dealer, nor will I recommend such a dealer to BMW CCA club members, or other BMW fans or prospective buyers.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-21-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #249
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
I appreciate the support you're so cute LOVEM. I will survive without the 1M Coupe. It's not like I have cancer. Although maybe I could work that angle to get higher on lists. Make a wish foundation for the over privileged.

I will hold out for MSRP-ish and I need the ED. Someone told me that all the ED slots were gone already. What does that mean? I'll pick it up from the parking lot out back I just need it to be in Germany.
No idea what this means... ED slots being all gone.. I've never heard anything about their being a limitation to ED. Perhaps the program only runs at certain times of the year? Maybe ED is not allowed in winter months? ED is run by BMW AG. In the case of most vehicles, the allocation comes from BMW AG, not from a vehicle allocation that is assigned to the dealer. In the case of the 1M, which is handled very uniquely, the ED allocation has to come from the dealer's allocation, which means that the dealer may lose some money on the deal.

There are times when BMW AG does not allow ED for a vehicle.. For example when the E9x M3 came out originally, ED was not available for the first 6 months to a year. I don't know if the reasoning for this is known... could be that they were so backed up on ED deliveries, could be to allow dealers to maximize profit? dunno
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #250
texone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black Baron 1M

Performance Center Delivery in SC

I know its not built there, but Performance Center Delivery is something I'd like to learn more about and might be a fitting way to start with a 1M. My selling dealer won't do ED but picking it up in SC, getting the tour, driving semi-cross country to get to know the car and break it in sounds pretty good. Keep that in mind Buckeyegirl.

Anyone else have any comment on PC as a second option to ED? No discount but no extra charge either (other than a one-way plane ticket).

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #251
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by texone View Post
I know its not built there, but Performance Center Delivery is something I'd like to learn more about and might be a fitting way to start with a 1M. My selling dealer won't do ED but picking it up in SC, getting the tour, driving semi-cross country to get to know the car and break it in sounds pretty good. Keep that in mind Buckeyegirl.

Anyone else have any comment on PC as a second option to ED? No discount but no extra charge either (other than a one-way plane ticket).
It's a good alternative to ED. You get learn the 1M's limit in their car on their dime. Plus, you get to bring a companion for free excluding the one way airfare of course. If everything pans out for me, I'm going to do both ED and PDC.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #252
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

I plan to do both.... this should help

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558895
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #253
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
I live in NC and I bought from a dealer in PA, so a PC delivery just made sense for me. I can't wait either!!! I've heard awesome things about a PC pickup and it's a whole lot closer than PA.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 07-22-2011 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #254
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

If my deposit results in an allocation, I hope to do both.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #255
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
That's the only way she could do it TODAY. Tomorrow is another day, just as you found, and another round of allocations will come out as we get into August. There are many dealers that will do ED at the ED MSRP, not the US MSRP or over.

I would love for one of our dealers that have posted in this thread to come clean on exactly how much back revenue they would lose on an ED deal for a 1M. For all we know it could be as little as $500.00. I can guarantee you that the dealer doesn't lose out on $3200 G-Dubs like the consumer does. I'll bet dollars to donuts that a dealer asking for US MSRP for ED is easily adding more than 2K to their profit margin, over and above what BMW NA has determined to be a profitable deal for the dealer on the sale.

As buckeye girl mentioned.. this is a car that BMW AG intended to be "affordable" and purchased by enthusiasts. Most dealers are in tune with this. Those that are marking the 1M up to M3 levels are simply gouging the individuals that opt to pay that price.. For those that pay the markup... I am sure they have their reasons, and all that really matters on an individual basis is that they are happy. Without a doubt, dealers have the right to make a few extra dollars on a sale, via " market adjustments" and dealer add ons, but I think that the consumer is much more likely to have a positive experience and bring more customers to the dealer via referral if the deal is as good or better for the customer than it is for the dealer. Again... BMW AG sets the ground rules here and establishes a price for which they feel that an ED sale is profitable for the dealer. I agree with buckeyegirl... it would tarnish the experience for me to have a dealer leverage my desire to do an ED delivery for their profit.

The ED program is a program that BMW AG has instituted to develop and further enhance owner loyalty. The recent program on CNBC about BMW highlights this very nicely. Undoubtedly, any person that experiences ED or PCD delivery is going to be happier with their purchase because of the experience, and therefore more likely to purchase another BMW in the future. A dealer that DENIES the customer an opportunity to experience ED for the sake of maximizing profit on the sale is simply greedy. I personally wouldn't work with such a dealer, nor will I recommend such a dealer to BMW CCA club members, or other BMW fans or prospective buyers.
Here's my understanding of ED and how it affects the dealership.

There is ZERO holdback with BMW. Holdback implies the money is guaranteed to be paid back to the dealer just for making the sale. That is not true for BMW. BMW dealers have to earn their Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) rebate. That is why they ask you to give them the chance to correct any part of the transaction that would prevent you from giving them all 10's on the survey. It is a stupid system, but anything less than a 10 is considered a failure on the CSI. Giving less than a 10 on the CSI survey can cost your CA from several hundred to several thousand dollars in lost income.

The difference between MSRP and ED is ~7%. Cars sold as ED do not qualify for CSI reimbursement. Care to guess how much the potential money to be earned from a CSI review of all 10s is? Right! It's ~7% of MSRP.

The dealers do not benefit financially in any way shape or form by doing EDs which is why they are hesitant to do them on high-dollar cars. They're effectively losing the potential to get $3500 from BMW after you pick up your 1M and give them an all-10s CSI survey. This sucks for us because we can't arrange an ED in exchange for an all-10s CSI survey.

Last edited by ZCP M3; 07-22-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #256
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
Here's my understanding of ED and how it affects the dealership.

There is ZERO holdback with BMW. Holdback implies the money is guaranteed to be paid back to the dealer just for making the sale. That is not true for BMW. BMW dealers have to earn their Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) rebate. That is why they ask you to give them the chance to correct any part of the transaction that would prevent you from giving them all 10's on the survey. It is a stupid system, but anything less than a 10 is considered a failure on the CSI. Giving less than a 10 on the CSI survey can cost your CA from several hundred to several thousand dollars in lost income.

The difference between MSRP and ED is ~7%. Cars sold as ED do not qualify for CSI reimbursement. Care to guess how much the potential money to be earned from a CSI review of all 10s is? Right! It's ~7% of MSRP.

The dealers do not benefit financially in any way shape or form by doing EDs which is why they are hesitant to do them on high-dollar cars. They're effectively losing the potential to get $3500 from BMW after you pick up your 1M and give them an all-10s CSI survey. This sucks for us because we can't arrange an ED in exchange for an all-10s CSI survey.

Agree that the BMW system rating system is a joke... There are a couple of other manufacturers that are just as silly. Anyone buying from Classic BMW in Ohio should make sure to give their CAs low numbers, so that the potential money they would lose is as small as possible...

Seriously though... if the dealer made ZERO on an ED transaction... NO ONE would do it. The dealer still makes money on the sale transaction because there is an ED invoice and an ED MSRP. And there is no way that you can tell me that the sales structure is not incentivized such that MORE sales volume = more money for the dealer per sale.

Go look at E90 post... Dealers are selling E90 M3s with Euro Delivery at 1-2K over ED INVOICE. Why would they do that if there was nothing in it for them? How did you get the 7% value for CSI? What we need is a former dealer employee that can give us the real skinny.. but I have a feeling that many of the CAs don't really understand all of this either.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-22-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #257
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

maybe that is why I'm persona non-grata

Maybe that's why I can't get a call back from the dealership in Boulder. I thought it was because I was a girl, but maybe it was because I dinged them on a bad service visit once. They are still mad maybe. If I can't be honest about stuff what is the point in doing a survey. It still bewilders me that when someone wants to spend $50,000 on a car no one calls you back to answer your questions at all. I heard that Boulder people drive to Denver to but their cars. It's a shame.

For me ED is a big part of the deal. Think about it..... I'll always have those memories of driving through Bavaria with my new car. Performance Center..... meh. It is going to come close to the Nurburgring not matter what goes on there.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #258
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
It's a good alternative to ED. You get learn the 1M's limit in their car on their dime. Plus, you get to bring a companion for free excluding the one way airfare of course. If everything pans out for me, I'm going to do both ED and PDC.
wait is 1 airfare included? I thought all transportation to there is not covered
      07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #259
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback1 View Post
wait is 1 airfare included? I thought all transportation to there is not covered
Its 2 for 1. You pay for one ticket and the taxes on the 2nd ticket. Its not necessarily the best deal you can get, but they have an allotment of tickets set aside for BMW clients so you may get access to certain flights that you otherwise couldnt.

This is for ED

Last edited by Papethova; 07-22-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #260
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Just to clarify:

There is no airfare provided or discounted for Performance Center delivery.

For ED, there is a deal with Lufthansa for a free companion ticket (you pay taxes & fees).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #261
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback1 View Post
Airfare is not covered for anyone. PDC includes you and a companion if you choose to bring one and he/she gets to participate in all the activities. Hotel for one night, meals, and transportation from the airport to the hotel and to the PDC are free for both buyer and companion.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #262
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Airfare is not covered for anyone. PDC includes you and a companion if you choose to bring one and he/she gets to participate in all the activities. Hotel for one night, meals, and transportation from the airport to the hotel and to the PDC are free for both buyer and companion.
thats what i thought
thanks bdaddy

Buckeyegrl if anything happens to my 135 or i suddenly feel 16 again and get my dream supra I will def give my spot to u.
      07-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #263
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I'm slightly concerned by a few people reporting that BMW has pulled their allocations. I am actually #3 at my dealer, but currently next in line since cars 1 and 2 have already been delivered. My dealer was told that they would receive 3 cars for sure, however, based on the pattern I am about to describe, I'm feeling a little concerned: when car #1 got on the ship, car #2 went on 111 status. When car #1 was delivered, car #2 was ready to get on the boat. Now, when car #2 got on the ship, car #3 (my car) did not change from 047 status. Car #2 has already been delivered and my car status still has not changed.

Should I be concerned and start looking elsewhere? My dealer maintains that they are still getting another car, but with BMW "pulling allocations" I suppose I now have a reason for concern.

Does anyone know of any available confirmed allocations near (or in) FL?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #264
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Something doesn't smell right. In the larger markets, the BMW reps are telling dealers that they may receive an additional allocation, so I seriously doubt that they are pulling allocations from dealers. I hope I'm right on this.
Appreciate 0