BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #23
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo
I'll try to be sensitive to copyright issues - the pointer to the Car article is more than adequate, thanks!!
Absolutely. If anyone does want the article (I do believe that the issue is now only available through back order) send me a PM and I'll drop it through there.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #24
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Just read Car's September, 2005 review of the 130i. Here's a relevant passage:
"BMW will thank its trick five-link rear axle and lightweight aluminium suspension components for the 130i's unfazable composure, but after a brief drive you might just wish it had dialled-out a bit of control and dialled-in a bit more throttle sensitivity.

The roads around Munich are smooth and fast, with 4th gear sweepers more common than 2nd gear twists, making it tricky to drive through the M Sport's awesome composure. The occasional ragged section hints at the car's intent, the big wheels thudding into the tarmac but staying controlled, the car morphing into a harder, more agile kind of 1-series as the tarmac becomes more challenging. Just the odd bout of wheel skip over rapid imperfections reminds you of its run-flat tyres and the weight the dampers are managing.

But find the right combination of corners and the potential in the 130i M Sport emerges. It darts into turns without a hint of understeer or hesitation, settles quickly into the heart of a corner and digs in hard when you spot the exit and pull the trigger. Get it right and you can feel the rear tyres steering the car into the corner, fighting understeer and letting your actions dictate the attitude of the car. On UK roads littered with tricky corner approaches, nasty surface changes and unpredictable cambers, I suspect the M Sport-equipped 130i will feel responsive and aggressive, and I just know it'll soak up punishment with ever-increasing relish. It feels like a car honed right to its very limits.

Should you overstep them the 130i is fitted with BMW's latest DSC software and it works well, staying unobtrusive until absolutely necessary and giving you back control as soon as the situation is contained. Hit the DTC button and the limits are pushed higher, but soon you'll feel confident to lose the stability control altogether with a longer prod on the button. The 130i doesn't have a limited-slip diff so you'll get plenty of inside rear wheelspin before opposite-lock heroics are required. Don't quote me on that in the wet, though...

Our test cars are fitted with BMW's controversial variable-rack Active Steering system. I'm not really anti-Active Steering (though many are), but I'd still stick with the standard set-up. BMW goes to great lengths to highlight the benefits of rear-drive on steering feel, so why specify a system that clearly places a filter between your fingertips and the road? A quick squirt in an SE with conventional steering showed it to be more communicative and 'natural', allowing you to flow with the car rather than react to responses that don't feel entirely intuitive.

Of course you could save a substantial ΂£1770 and forego the M Sport kit altogether. On slightly plumper 205/50 R17 tyres (the M Sport has 215/40 R18s at the front and gargantuan 235/35s out back) it certainly rides with a softer edge, and the performance is undiminished. The limits are more accessible, too, although even the SE cars on test were fitted with the 15mm lower M Sports suspension, which clouds the issue somewhat. The 130i SE is a stealthy device and wonderfully fluid, but I think you'd miss the supreme turn-in and ultimate control of the M Sport car with time.

The 130i's devastating combination of deep-seated quality, engineering integrity and the control it displays when you're tapping into the rich reserves of power make it a bit of a hero in my book. I'd love to unreservedly give it our seal of approval and nominate it for our Car of the Year bash, but unfortunately the roads around Munich weren't quite challenging enough to delve deep into the chassis' abilities. It feels agile and definitely more neutral than its less-powerful siblings, and the tantalising glimpses of how it behaves in extreme situations showed great promise."
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #25
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Hmmm, looks like the journo couldn't find a sport package equipped car w/o Active Steering in the choices BMW made avialable at the event - I would hope that even with the M-Sport equipped 135i that Active Steering would still be optional.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #26
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

"It also promises to be a scalpel sharp drive. Dr Dieter Konik, head of vehicle dynamics on the 135i project completely overhauled the 135i to put the driver first. “We achieved a perfect fifty-fifty weight distribution by having a heavier rear end and using lighter metals up front,” he told CAR. “We also introduced new spring and dampers, redesigned the front anti-roll bar for sharper turn-in and widened the rear track by 20mm. And we worked hard on the electric steering to heighten feel and response, improved the brakes and recalibrated the traction and stability controls, so the driver can have a lot more …” he opposite locks an imaginary steering wheel “… fun.” Both 135i and 123d get a version of BMW Motorsport’s electronically controlled limited slip diff."
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #27
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Sounds like a winner to me. However, I would like to hear more details around the "electronically controlled LSD". Some have said it's no more than a hotted up term for traction control utilizing only rear brakes to tame wheel spin. If more details are available, I'd greatly appreciate a better understanding.
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

jrsites, the only problem with that review is that it was done in a pre-refresh 130i which means that it had hydraulically powered steering, not electric power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMINI
However, I would like to hear more details around the "electronically controlled LSD". Some have said it's no more than a hotted up term for traction control utilizing only rear brakes to tame wheel spin. If more details are available, I'd greatly appreciate a better understanding
From the US Press Release:

"For instance, the accelerator pedal has a quicker response rate and electronic rear brake management is used to simulate a differential lock for stronger acceleration in turns."

It is nothing more than a performance-orientated traction control system which is nice but nothing like a real LSD.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
From the US Press Release:

"For instance, the accelerator pedal has a quicker response rate and electronic rear brake management is used to simulate a differential lock for stronger acceleration in turns."

It is nothing more than a performance-orientated traction control system which is nice but nothing like a real LSD.
Thanks for the info... I had to wait until 4th year of the R53 MINI to get the LSD. Uhhh... it was worth the wait. I may be willing to wait again.
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #30
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
jrsites, the only problem with that review is that it was done in a pre-refresh 130i which means that it had hydraulically powered steering, not electric power steering.
Well craaaap! I guess I'm just going to have to wait until the press can actually get their hands on the coupe to get a real verdict!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #31
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

The only thing I am worried about is the steering, the rest of the car sounds awesome...who knows maybe the steering will be great as well. I hope so!!
Appreciate 0