BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i ///M Dinan S2;)

3G ipod Touch....am I SOL??

My Fiance and I just bought 3rd Gen ipod Touches. I am not able to get the radio in my non idrive 2009 135i to see the device, it keeps saying Insert - - USB. The plug is fully seated as I hear the gong as the ipod does charge from the USB... its just the data for some reason. I reset the ipod a few times without luck. Is it just not downward compatible? Is there a way to reset the BMW radio to see if thats the issue? Is there a special cord or adaptor I dont have? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
135isandiego
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i msport

Same thing here, no luck so far. Ive tried different cables, two different ipod touches, two factory cables etc... and nothing. It will play through the aux port but then none of the info from the ipod shows on the radio?? Let me know if you find anything out
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

I've had no problems with my I-Phone 3Gs? Everything seems to work fine. Wonder why the i-touch would be any different. I'm just using the factory cable that connects to both the USB and aux ports.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am going through the Aux port as well currently and charging through the usb. My goal is to be able to control the ipod from the steering wheel. Theres not enough cupholders for all my gadgets and a redbull to have the ipod sitting out as well. If I have to downgrade to a 2G ipod i dont care but i want full useage of the ipod interface. LA-Bimmer, do you have Navigation? If not can you see the ipod songs on your radio?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
3gen Ipod touch works on '08's....take it to the dealer guys...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, im an idiot. Apparently theres a special cable that should have come with the car and im trying to use the regular ipod wire or wires from Best Buy. The dealer I bought the car from said if they get one back on lease they will mail it to me...yeah right. Just one more reason I will NEVER do business with PArk Ave BMW again. However, one of the techs at my new dealer lent my fiance his cable for me to try tonight. Now thats customer service. Hopefully all goes well and im an $80 bill away from bliss. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited by FactoryFast; 04-07-2010 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: typozz
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

I have to say...requiring that 2 prong thing is stupid as hell... (personal opinion) any other mp3 player that uses usb output works fine.... ffs flash drives work
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Got home from work a lil bit ago and used the BMW interface wire... EVERYTHING worked! I was charging, scrolling through the menus on my non nav radio and listening to music. Im pumped to pick up my own cable tomorrow and get this ipod setup proper! How ridiculous is this thread...i knew there had to be a special cable. Too bad I gotta shell out cash for one. Im a sucker for instant gratification.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, just another quick update. I decided to start over with my ipod a couple days back and restored the ipod, then sync'd what i wanted instead of all the garbage i had on there initially. When I went to plug the ipod to the interface I was unable to scroll through the menus on the radio. The ipod was charging and still able to play songs though the aux port however. Once I stopped for gas I did the following to regain menu control:

1. while car is running, Shut off radio by pressing the left knobber.

2. Shut down vehicle.

3. shut down ipod by holding power button and sliding to turn unit off.

4a. Unplug ipod from interface.

4b. Unplug interface from ports in console.

5. Power up ipod. Wait until it is fully ready to run before going to step 6.

6. Plug in interface cable to console ports.

7. Start Vehicle.

8. Plug interface into ipod, you should see "accessory found" or a similar message.

9. power up radio by pressing left knob.

10. Selecting audio button you should now see ipod.

FYI, not until I saw the "accessory found" message on the ipod did the interface work as designed. I now regained full use of the ipod interface. This may help 135i San Diego's issue. Looks like procedure is everything to get this to work as advertised.
Appreciate 0