BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Dack wins the "large attachments" award! That speed while holding a camera proves massive multitasking skills.
Actually, if you watch closely, you can also notice that he's equally reading an issue of EVO in the meantime.

Dack is the Chuck Norris of 1addicts.
      02-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #24
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I asked myself: is a Japanese 1M limited to 180kmh? Or is that a thing of the past?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Artemis. Thanks for keeping me straight - buddy!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #26
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

uk cars are limited to an indicated 167 mph..
mines de limited so next trip to germany wont have me being left behind my pals sc e46 m3 that is also de limited.
now im also running 456bhp/535lbft i should be able to hold him off lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #27
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
uk cars are limited to an indicated 167 mph..
mines de limited so next trip to germany wont have me being left behind my pals sc e46 m3 that is also de limited.
now im also running 456bhp/535lbft i should be able to hold him off lol
Blimey!! So we have an answer to your "What power do you think my 1M will make?" thread! That must be a beast to control
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Blimey!! So we have an answer to your "What power do you think my 1M will make?" thread! That must be a beast to control
Suprisingly not.
If you cant justify buying the amazing intercooler kit or the re map i'd still recommend getting the geometry set up.

Ray has made the car handle the extra power better than bmw made the 1m handle the standard power..
Its running more tow and less camber on the rear which has made it feel much more planted.

Hoping these tweeks will make the M feel more stable at speed on the autobahns-ill post up what speed it reaches now its de ristricted-im not due over to germany untill may now tho..

cheers Jamie

Last edited by octainejunkee; 02-28-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
Suprisingly not.
If you cant justify buying the amazing intercooler kit or the re map i'd still recommend getting the geometry set up.

Ray has made the car handle the extra power better than bmw made the 1m handle the standard power..
Its running more toe and less camber on the rear which has made it feel much more planted.

Hoping these tweeks will make the M feel more stable at speed on the autobahns-ill post up what speed it reaches now its de ristricted-im not due over to germany untill may now tho..

cheers Jamie

Good to hear. I'd already planned to get the alignment done soon,as a few people had mentioned it helps a lot! A little bit far for me to travel(160 miles round trip) to him, but on the other hand I want to get it done properly. I have been recommended some other companies though a little closer. Look forward to seeing more on your build thread soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

220 mile round trip for me but the drive home made it well worth while..
If its just geo you need doing then MOTORWORX in Marlow are also very good and closer to London,,

cheers Jamie
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #31
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Reviving this relevant thread about the top speed of the 1M in order to share results of my experiment:

Today with my P3Cars interface installed 1M I've had the chance to try the top speed three times; The car reached first 264 km/h (real) and repeated 266 km/h (165.3 mph) on the following two runs on longer straights where I had the chance to make sure it doesn't go any faster. Speedo was indicating close to (but not equal) 275 km/h so an over-reading of 3%, maybe a few decimals more.

This 266 km/h is 2-3 km/h less than some others claimed here so I take it as a neglibible difference, due to difference in precision of devices used by different people.

It is a Euro spec car with no engine tune, stock size tires etc. I was alone in the car and road and other conditions were simply ideal, I am sure it can not go any faster on a straight and also it can repeat it anytime. I reached the top speed limiter at 5th gear, don't even know if the car can go that fast at 6th, if it can sure will need much longer straights. Now, I am also certain that if top speed governor removed a stock 1M can reach the rev limiter on 5th which will give it a 280 km/h real top speed (according to a gear speeds diagram which was a part of the Sport Auto Super Test). Alpha N tuning offers this for instance, just the governor removal, and rightfully claim 280 km/h new top speed which should show around 290 km/h on the speedo. A stock 1M can not reach speeds over that imho, not at all 300 km/h or more because with stock power it will pass over 6000 rpm at sixth after passing from 5th to 6th at 7000 rpm, which means neither gear ratio nor the real power and torque produced from that moment onward will be enough to further accelerate, in fact the car should normally start slowing down due to diminishing power and unfavourable gear ratio...or I am just wrong

Also the drag will not help at those speeds as well with bad aero of the 1M/E82 in general.

So, a certified 16 km/h or 10 mph bonus on top of BMW advertised top speed is on tap, at least with Euro spec cars.

Next, I will start practicing on 0-100 km/h but whatever I do it won't really count because I have a few supporting mods which can affect acceleration (like stickier PSS tires, partial exhaust, air filter, FMIC) and I am sure I won't break the forum record of 4.4 to 100 km/h (translates to a perfect 4.2 or 4.3 to 60 mph) managed by the "Usain Bolt of 1M community" M3Power79 (hello Artemis and M3Power79)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=668716&page=3
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-27-2013 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: I
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #32
Sparks1M
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Great work. Yesterday was perfect driving weather. Where did you do the runs?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #33
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1M View Post
Great work. Yesterday was perfect driving weather. Where did you do the runs?
Hi,

I don't do this kind of speed on regular highways or Costanera Norte, I find CN a bit dangerous despite the fact that there are no speed controls in the "uptown" part...when I say that I still reach indicated 240 km/h or end of 4th gear there time to time. Exact same place where some Chilean (younger) guys are telling me that they passed 300 km/h with exotics. I have no reason not to believe them and I also believe they are reckless and crazy.

I did these runs on the only road I find absolutely perfect for this; the road going to Los Andes; I take the scenic exit with viaducs from Costanera, pass from tunnels and goes to the direction of Ruta 5, that is a new and beautiful road but not very fast; when that road connects with the Colina-Los Andes road I take the direction of Los Andes and there is a combination of hill climbing and curves followed by very long (some longer than 3-4 kms. straights. Traffic is little to none usually and there are very few connecting roads and exit/entry, surface is good and reliable at its worst and butter smooth other times. I have driven on German autobahn and on half of the main roads in Europe, I tell you that road if you drive at the right moment is better and safer than autobahn or most European highways; seeing the majestic view of Andes on the background is another bonus.

This is the same road that goes to Termas de Jahuel or Ski Resort Portillo.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-28-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #34
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
This 266 km/h is 2-3 km/h less than some others claimed here so I take it as a neglibible difference, due to difference in precision of devices used by different people.
Wind, road surface inclination and the real weight of your car including you (stripped or loaded [both the car and you ] + running on empty or fueled to the max), can be of influence.

Quote:
I am sure I won't break the forum record of 4.4 to 100 km/h (translates to a perfect 4.2 or 4.3 to 60 mph) managed by the "Usain Bolt of 1M community" M3Power79 (hello Artemis and M3Power79)
M3Power79 was on a serious diet and his 1M was doped with stanozolol in its fuel:

Name:  FourPointFour.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  44.3 KB

10-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Reviving this relevant thread about the top speed of the 1M in order to share results of my experiment:

Today with my P3Cars interface installed 1M I've had the chance to try the top speed three times; The car reached first 264 km/h (real) and repeated 266 km/h (165.3 mph) on the following two runs on longer straights where I had the chance to make sure it doesn't go any faster. Speedo was indicating close to (but not equal) 275 km/h so an over-reading of 3%, maybe a few decimals more.

It is a Euro spec car with no engine tune, stock size tires etc. I was alone in the car and road and other conditions were simply ideal, I am sure it can not go any faster on a straight and also it can repeat it anytime. I reached the top speed limiter at 5th gear, don't even know if the car can go that fast at 6th, if it can sure will need much longer straights. Now, I am also certain that if top speed governor removed a stock 1M can reach the rev limiter on 5th which will give it a 280 km/h real top speed (according to a gear speeds diagram which was a part of the Sport Auto Super Test). Alpha N tuning offers this for instance, just the governor removal, and rightfully claim 280 km/h new top speed which should show around 290 km/h on the speedo. A stock 1M can not reach speeds over that imho, not at all 300 km/h or more because with stock power it will pass over 6000 rpm at sixth after passing from 5th to 6th at 7000 rpm, which means neither gear ratio nor the real power and torque produced from that moment onward will be enough to further accelerate, in fact the car should normally start slowing down due to diminishing power and unfavourable gear ratio...or I am just wrong

Also the drag will not help at those speeds as well with bad aero of the 1M/E82 in general.

So, a certified 16 km/h or 10 mph bonus on top of BMW advertised top speed is on tap, at least with Euro spec cars.

Next, I will start practicing on 0-100 km/h but whatever I do it won't really count because I have a few supporting mods which can affect acceleration (like stickier PSS tires, partial exhaust, air filter, FMIC) and I am sure I won't break the forum record of 4.4 to 100 km/h (translates to a perfect 4.2 or 4.3 to 60 mph) managed by the "Usain Bolt of 1M community" M3Power79 (hello Artemis and M3Power79)

ozinaldo - Top speed is reached in 6th gear, not 5th. That is also my experience with my tuned 135i. As you know the 1M or 135i(tuned) is a fast car at speed. But once you get past say 250ish (kph) the car does take longer to climb up in speed.

The fastest I have seen on my "tuned" 135i(only sw btw) is 283 kph on my gps/Navi. The car feels like there is more in it... but at those speeds the car is super darty(unstable) and also you tend to run out of clean clear autobahn. You really need a straight stretch of road that is at least 4kms long and flat. Thats hard to find tehse days - plus you have these morons in a small 1.0L micro car wanting to pass another 1.0L micro car while doing 120 kph and the other car is doing 119kph.

I have been told by my SW tuner(MS-Tuning.de) that a tuned 135i will do ~294kph and an e9x 335i will do ~312 kph. I fully believe him. I know a few times I have gone faster than 283 kph(6,300 in 6th) I think 6,500 or 6,600 rpms in 6th... but I did not have my GPS with me at those times though.

Here is a video of a tuned 1M doing 310 kph... but that is the "buffered" speedo value and not the "real" gps speed that you can have the speedo/kombi coded too. Lets take 309 kph and take off 5%, that makes it almost ~294 kph. I think that is about right for a "tuned" one series be it a 1M or a 135i.

I think for a stock 1M the real top speed is 265 kph. Its been reported before that even though the Germans have a gentlemans agreement on a 250 kph top speed limiter... that on "special" cars the limiter "might be" a little bit off. Many people say a modern day stock M car(e9x/f10, f11, ect) will do a real 265 kph or about 278 kph on the speedo(kombi). The only M cars with a lower speed limiter are the X6M and X5M models.

in this video of a 1M vs a TT-RS you can really see how poorly the aerodynamics are on our cars. The TT just kills the 1M at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #36
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I know a few times I have gone faster than 283 kph(6,300 in 6th) I think 6,500 or 6,600 rpms in 6th... but I did not have my GPS with me at those times though.
Ensure to be rolling on the best tires in very good compound condition and the proper pressure, if regularly handling those speeds. A tire blowout at 250+ km/h is a recipe for disaster. Should it happen, here are some tips (emphasizing that you gotta handle against your instincts):
http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Safet...re-Blowout.htm
http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Drivin...es/blowout.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...owout-15851782

Name:  TireBlowout.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  59.4 KB
      10-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #37
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

So BMW's have been Electronically limited to 155mph for years now in the US. As long at they have at least the Sport Package. M cars as well. Obviously they will out due this speed if the limiter is removed.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
So BMW's have been Electronically limited to 155mph for years now in the US. As long at they have at least the Sport Package. M cars as well. Obviously they will out due this speed if the limiter is removed.
Yes, that is correct. BMW's with the M sport option also include option #840 speed synchronization. That means the limiter is "upped" to 250 kph.

non M-sport models are limited to 210 kph(130 mph).
M sport models are limited to 250 kph(155 mph).
///M models limited to 268 kph(165 mph) Except for X5M/X6M which is set lower, I think to 155 mph).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #39
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
ozinaldo - Top speed is reached in 6th gear, not 5th.
Dack, I was in fifth on all my runs, three times and especially during last two I was long enough on the gas to be certain that I was at the top speed governor, car was limited to 266 km/h or 275 km/h on the speedo and I was still away from the rev limiter which is at 7000 rpms. I never tried the sixth that day other than on the way home cooling the car at around 120 km/h in sixth occasionally. I don't even like the sixth and don't see a reason why or how the car could go any faster at sixth, limiter will work at exact same speed, of course if the car could make that speed at sixth at all, am I wrong? It is a speed limiter, no matter what gear or rev you are.

Still, if I will have chance, I will try sixth one day to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. BMW's with the M sport option also include option #840 speed synchronization. That means the limiter is "upped" to 250 kph.

non M-sport models are limited to 210 kph(130 mph).
M sport models are limited to 250 kph(155 mph).
///M models limited to 268 kph(165 mph) Except for X5M/X6M which is set lower, I think to 155 mph).
Maybe this is the reason why I was remembering that "other" top speed as 268 km/h, 2 more than I did. In fact, if 165 mph is correct than I did exactly that, because 165 miles (165.29 to be more precise) is equal to 266 km, not 268, which was also where my car governed, two times.
Appreciate 0