07-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M/Z4M/Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Question about painting a CF hood

Hello all,

I was hoping for some advice about painting a CF hood. It's the one from Revozport. I had purchased one and had it fitted but when it came to painting it in AW, I've been warned that it may warp the hood due to the CF not being able to withstand the baking process after painting very well, so it may not fit well afterwards. I don't have the aero-catches.

Does anybody have experience or advice about how I can get the hood finished in AW?

Thanks very much!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If the paint job fails for whatever reason, you're stuck with a dodgy looking hood, which you will replace by a BMW stock hood painted in AW.

If I were you, I would keep the CF hood and get a BMW stock hood painted in AW. If need be, sell the CF hood.
      07-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

If the hood can not hold up to the heat of drying, how well would it hold up to covering a hot engine on a hot day?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If the paint job fails for whatever reason, you're stuck with a dodgy looking hood, which you will replace by a BMW stock hood painted in AW.

If I were you, I would keep the CF hood and get a BMW stock hood painted in AW. If need be, sell the CF hood.
Hi, I still have the stock hood in AW. I'm just not that crazy about how the CF hood looks on an AW car, but I do like the vents and weight though..

First-world problem I know..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
If the hood can not hold up to the heat of drying, how well would it hold up to covering a hot engine on a hot day?
+1

I have a Revozport hood and like you I painted it alpine white. It held its shape and fitment.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
+1

I have a Revozport hood and like you I painted it alpine white. It held its shape and fitment.

That looks great! Can you tell me where you had it painted so I can get my shop to get in touch with them?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOR3N View Post
That looks great! Can you tell me where you had it painted so I can get my shop to get in touch with them?
DTM Autobody in El Monte CA painted the hood. They have painted dozens and dozens of CF hoods.

I agree and do not like exposed CF on white cars. There are the exception here and there where I see exposed CF and love it (Einser M's car) but because my car, and I assume your car as well, is a more subtle build, the contrast is too much for me. The Revozport weave is absolutely beautiful and I did feel bad covering it up, but the car looks so much better.

Exposed

Painted

And the exception
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
DTM Autobody in El Monte CA painted the hood. They have painted dozens and dozens of CF hoods.

I agree and do not like exposed CF on white cars. There are the exception here and there where I see exposed CF and love it (Einser M's car) but because my car, and I assume your car as well, is a more subtle build, the contrast is too much for me. The Revozport weave is absolutely beautiful and I did feel bad covering it up, but the car looks so much better.

Exposed
Thanks very much for the info and showing your car! The weave is indeed beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:

Exposed

Painted

And the exception
ha ha
the word exception runs often with my build
i do agree that your car looks better with the hood painted though
hopefully OP doesnt get his hood messed up by a paint job
Appreciate 0