BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
tadams
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

New to Imports

I am new to the import seen and this is my very first BMW. After owning my 2009 BMW 128i for about a month and searching numerous forums, I still have some unanswered questions as to performance upgrades. I see we are very restrictive so the engine performance side I have narrowed down. Please don't blast. It seems that there are numerous opinions but I am looking for some answers that aren't found.

1. Exhaust: BMW vs Magnaflow. Magnaflow on everything I have and love but curious to comparison between the two.

2. AA Tune

3. AFE CAI

4. How do I discern what 'N' version intake I have?

The suspension part.. lost as a crack dog without scent glands.

1. I have the M-tuned suspension. I will never track the car but want modest changes. Koni's all around and should I lower or is the M-tuned fine?

2. I read everywhere to go with the M3 bushing(?) in the rear but nobody says if it is the same year or lists a part number.

3. M3 front and rear sways bars will fit the 128i? Again, go with the same year?

and lastly... 4. The front underpinnings off the M3.. recommending parts and numbers?

I just want her tightened up the best for only street use. The paddle shifters are nice but seem a little slower shifting than the sport mode. Am I wrong or do others sense the same?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Best deal I have seen on the M3 front Control arm upgrade:
http://offsetmotorwerks.com/product/...upgrade-kit-2/

M3 rear subframe bushings (shows what years/models work):
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...r-e82-e9x.aspx

M3 sway bars fit fine. The convertible sway is 1mm thicker than the coupe sway.

M-sport suspension is soft (33% stiffer than stock). BMW performance upgrade is supposed to be 66% stiffer than m-sport? or 66% stiffer than stock? not sure, but either way you'll want a better strut and spring combo if you plan on doing the other M upgrades.

You can use Google to find a VIN decoder to find out what engine you have. If you have an N52 start with swapping in the 3-stage DISA manifold. Next biggest bang for your buck upgrade power wise would be headers and a subsequent tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
tadams
Rep

Perfect answer and parts reference! Thanks so much for the input.

I have the N51.

Last edited by tadams; 02-17-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams View Post
1. Exhaust: BMW vs Magnaflow. Magnaflow on everything I have and love but curious to comparison between the two.

2. AA Tune

3. AFE CAI

4. How do I discern what 'N' version intake I have?

The suspension part.. lost as a crack dog without scent glands.

1. I have the M-tuned suspension. I will never track the car but want modest changes. Koni's all around and should I lower or is the M-tuned fine?

2. I read everywhere to go with the M3 bushing(?) in the rear but nobody says if it is the same year or lists a part number.

3. M3 front and rear sways bars will fit the 128i? Again, go with the same year?

and lastly... 4. The front underpinnings off the M3.. recommending parts and numbers?

I just want her tightened up the best for only street use. The paddle shifters are nice but seem a little slower shifting than the sport mode. Am I wrong or do others sense the same?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
1-Magnaflow sounds really good on the 128i

2- AA tune is the best option to get more power

3- Get the AFE magnum or momentum depending if you like loud intakes

4- You need to check your vin number

Check out vendor section for deals before you make a purchase, it can help you save money for your next mod.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
tadams
Rep

Thanks so much for the input. Both answers where spot on. I happened into a 2009 with only 23,000 miles and it was babied. Loving it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

n51 already comes with the 3 stage DISA intake manifold. AKA you can get a tune and go from 190-200 RWHP, to about 220-230rwhp(depending on dyno's of course).

After that it's really preference. Intakes do little to nothing on our car, and Axioms dyno runs have proven the AFE SI airbox to provide a bit(~1-2hp) of power over the others. Dinan may also provide this small increase. Open "cold air" intakes will actually loose power(IE Injen).

e9x suspension components will fit. for swaybars get e93(convertible) swaybars as they're thicker than the coupe or sedans.

m3 Rear subframe bushings(again, e9x chassis) get rid of the rear end mushyness many experience.

my friend has the magnaflow on her 128i. it sounds great but it's pretty quiet in my opinion.