BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

BFG Rivals for road tire stock AutoX - Would it fit?

So the new BF Goodrich Rivals seem to be the hottest tire for autocrossing right now. I currently run a 135i in road tire stock class, which means no extra camber aside from alignment pin mod, and stock size wheels 7.5 front 8.5 back.

Question 1 - Do I have any prayer of fitting the 245-40-18 BFG Rivals on the front and back? I haven't seen anyone trying to fit these on stock wheels and suspension yet. Unfortunately that is the only size available, no 235s or 245-35s.

Question 2 - These are also my daily driver tires. Will I end up backwards in a ditch if it rains on the highway? Hydroplaning looks like it might be an issue judging by the tread pattern...

If I can't get a good answer to both it looks like Direzza ZII's for me - not the end of the world but the Rivals seem much better for someone who isn't a national level autocross god. Supposedly much easier to drive at the limit with much better communication.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thothtp View Post
So the new BF Goodrich Rivals seem to be the hottest tire for autocrossing right now. I currently run a 135i in road tire stock class, which means no extra camber aside from alignment pin mod, and stock size wheels 7.5 front 8.5 back.

Question 1 - Do I have any prayer of fitting the 245-40-18 BFG Rivals on the front and back? I haven't seen anyone trying to fit these on stock wheels and suspension yet. Unfortunately that is the only size available, no 235s or 245-35s.

Question 2 - These are also my daily driver tires. Will I end up backwards in a ditch if it rains on the highway? Hydroplaning looks like it might be an issue judging by the tread pattern...

If I can't get a good answer to both it looks like Direzza ZII's for me - not the end of the world but the Rivals seem much better for someone who isn't a national level autocross god. Supposedly much easier to drive at the limit with much better communication.

Thanks for the help!
I've actually been hearing the opposite, somewhat. The Rivals apaprently have a spfter widewall, whereas the ZIIs are stiffer, and therefore communicate significantly better.

In any event, I don't think you're fitting 245/40-18 up front with no camber anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Rivals in the rain would scare the crap out of me. I run RS3s and it is kinda scary in the rain during some moments. BFG straight out and claimed that this tire is not for rain. I would steer clear from this.

In addition, I would go for a staggered set-up. Trying to run 245s on a 7.5 tire is going to end up being horrendous for handling. You're forcing too much tire up front on such a small wheel.

With a 245 tire on a 7.5 wheel, you're going to develop a shimmy back and forth on the wheel before you reach maximum grip. This is going to reduce front-end feel and response.

Go ZIIs. Even though the Rivals are an awesome tire, and can recover extremely well being overdriven, it is not worth it trying to compromise with a crappy set-up
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Just a little more feedback, from what most are saying, if you aren't going to big events and placing in the top 1-3, get the ZIIs. They have more rubber (10/32nds vs 7/32nds), probably last longer, and almost certainly work better in wet conditions.

And that's leaving aside the softer sidewall of the Rival.

I think all signs point to it being the better tire for you...completely ignoring that you can't really fit the Rivals anyway...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep

The thing that had me pointing at the Rivals was that I read while not as ultimately fast, they have a much more progressive breakaway, and more importantly, actually make noise at the limit vs the ZIIs which are silent until they slide like slicks. They were recommended as much better for less experienced drivers for those reasons, while the ZIIs were better for the pros because they ultimately had slightly more grip, just much less forgiving.

That being said, if the 245s dont fit (didn't have very high hopes) and smaller sizes don't come quick, ill be on ZIIs either way. Would I be best off with a 235 255 staggered setup, or 235 front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thothtp View Post
The thing that had me pointing at the Rivals was that I read while not as ultimately fast, they have a much more progressive breakaway, and more importantly, actually make noise at the limit vs the ZIIs which are silent until they slide like slicks. They were recommended as much better for less experienced drivers for those reasons, while the ZIIs were better for the pros because they ultimately had slightly more grip, just much less forgiving.

That being said, if the 245s dont fit (didn't have very high hopes) and smaller sizes don't come quick, ill be on ZIIs either way. Would I be best off with a 235 255 staggered setup, or 235 front and rear?
A square set-up would influence a more neutral set-up. Staggered would influence more understeer. Obviously this wouldn't be terrible if you could add camber in the front...but we are talking about RTR and -1* of camber...lol

The ZIIs are too bad. They will communicate and more importantly you'll be able to be more comfortable with your car and be able to correct easily. I thought the RS3s didn't communicate well compared to my old tires but now I think they scream and are annoying when driven at the limit
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Where are you getting this info from?

I think the majority of people are saying the Rivals are indeed faster...and the couple published tests as well (GRM).

The only thing holding people back is 1) wet performance, and 2) the lack of response relative to the ZII. You have to trust in them a bit more as you're dealing with all the deflection.

There is some talk about the Rivals not being great on heavier cars as well, which seem to bring out their relative softness much more than on lighter platforms.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

I think the majority of people are saying the Rivals are indeed faster...and the couple published tests as well (GRM).

The only thing holding people back is 1) wet performance, and 2) the lack of response relative to the ZII. You have to trust in them a bit more as you're dealing with all the deflection.

There is some talk about the Rivals not being great on heavier cars as well, which seem to bring out their relative softness much more than on lighter platforms.
Mostly from this https://www.facebook.com/notes/holli...09412972476008 as well as similar comments from local fast guys who have driven both. The Rivals are faster in prob 95% of hands, but someone who is really really really good might get more out of the superior response of the ZIIs. Especially on heavier cars, as you said.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
first350
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I was trying for the same thing (245/18 Rivals) and couldn't figure out a way to make them fit without a good amount of work (roll/pull fenders)...so I went with 235/40/18 ZII's. I've run the ZI's, Hankooks, RE-11's, and R1R's (on a STS Miata) and the ZII's felt on par with those; I've been out of competitive autoX for a couple years now, so take that w/ a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

I'd rather run a proper tire then trying to fit one that is over-sized and end up with negative effects...YMMV

When it comes down to it, for a novice driver tires mean NOTHING. A proper line and nut behind the wheel make a bigger impact.
Appreciate 0