BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 128i, Volvo 945t & 780t

2012 128i Satellite antenna.

I have the professional radio. It has Sirius capability but I have a newer receiver with "DVR" function as well as some other bells and whistles.

Is there a way I can use the cars factory satellite antenna with an extension for the cable? Does the BMW HU use a standard Sirius fakra connector?

If not, is there an adapter available?

I ask because I'd rather not run another cable/antenna if I don't need to.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
mmmm_beer
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Convertible

Garage List
My 2013 128i has access to the satellite antenna in the trunk. It is a standard Sirius fakra connector. I purchased an antenna extender cable (male on one side female on the other) so I could plug my plug-and-play radio into the stock antenna. It worked great. The connector has a pink (I think that was the color) plastic housing that surrounded the fakra connector. This is the cable I used https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Radio-.../dp/B00DMFAOA6
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #3
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmm_beer View Post
My 2013 128i has access to the satellite antenna in the trunk. It is a standard Sirius fakra connector. I purchased an antenna extender cable (male on one side female on the other) so I could plug my plug-and-play radio into the stock antenna. It worked great. The connector has a pink (I think that was the color) plastic housing that surrounded the fakra connector. This is the cable I used https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Radio-.../dp/B00DMFAOA6
That's funny because that's the same cable I found.

You didn't need anything else then? The pink connector fits direct into that extension cable?

I want to pick up the cable from the radio end from under the dash. This cable will work?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
mmmm_beer
Rep

Garage List
The cable connects in the trunk, I don't know what the end at the radio looks like. The cable is long enough that I was able to run it through the back seat and under the floor carpeting. I didn't need anything else to make it work, only one end of the extension cable fits into the portion of the antenna cable housed in the pink plastic. https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344758 shows what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The cable connects in the trunk, I don't know what the end at the radio looks like.
The radio end of the cable looks identical except that it's an angle connector.

You're saying that connector is the same as the connector on the Sirius?

If so, I'll just use the connector on the radio and extend it to my Sirius radio.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #6
Ursan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The cable connects in the trunk, I don't know what the end at the radio looks like.
Just like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
If so, I'll just use the connector on the radio and extend it to my Sirius radio.
The antenna lead from the combox in the trunk leads to the back of the radio. It's the same exact connector as is on the Sirius radio.

Sirius antenna lead, center, with pink ring:

I just ordered that cable extension. But only a three-foot one. I'll just connect it to the radio end cable and pass it through to the Sirius radio that I'll mount on the dash.

Just to test, I connected the pink connector to my Sirius:

Thank you very much. You've been helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
mmmm_beer
Rep

Garage List
As long as it worked for you. As I mentioned, I picked my connection up in the trunk since it was a lot easier for me to access that end than taking apart the dash to get behind the radio. Good to know it is still the same type of connector there too.
Appreciate 0