BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #23
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Last night my core Tokyo car friend group (1M, Cayman S, vintage Skyline, 911) met up at Tatsumi PA for our first gathering of 2019. In addition to the core we had two new additions: 308 GTB and Cayman GT4. With that collection of cars hardly anyone paid any attention to my 1M, and no one asked any questions or approached me with any comments. I must say that the weather was freezing cold so there were far fewer car owners and car gawkers than usual. Normally I'll get 2 to 3 knowledgeable gapers and inquisitors considering the 1M was never officially imported by BMW Japan and the best estimates are there are only around 30 or so in country.

On a small tangent I was quite surprised and pleased to have the GT4 owner offer to swap cars with me for a quick loop around the Tokyo freeways. Objectively I have to say that the Cayman GT4 is the more balanced precision driving machine, but following him in my Baby Beast had me fall in love all over again. The BB looks like a body builder on steroids, but moves in and out of traffic and around curves like the most elegant ballerina. There is only one thing that will ever sit in my one car garage.
One of my favorite drives with my 1M was in caravan of P-cars, Ferrari's, etc. and we had another black 1M with us. It was great to see the car from all angles - it does have a great presence on the road which cannot been felt while parked!
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      02-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #24
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiremon View Post
One of my favorite drives with my 1M was in caravan of P-cars, Ferrari's, etc. and we had another black 1M with us. It was great to see the car from all angles - it does have a great presence on the road which cannot been felt while parked!
So true. There have been a few times when my wife and I have had to pick up another car together and I follow her home while she's driving our 1M. I almost never get to see a 1M from the outside on the road, especially for any length of time. I think I might just start asking her if she'd mind driving the 1M around while I followed her lol.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
JP-1M171.00
      02-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiremon View Post
So true. There have been a few times when my wife and I have had to pick up another car together and I follow her home while she's driving our 1M. I almost never get to see a 1M from the outside on the road, especially for any length of time. I think I might just start asking her if she'd mind driving the 1M around while I followed her lol.
I check out BAT all the time and often a 1M pops up and makes me think. Man I want one. Then I remember I have one in the garage! : )
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1207.50
JP-1M171.00
      02-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #26
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I check out BAT all the time and often a 1M pops up and makes me think. Man I want one. Then I remember I have one in the garage! : )
lol I do the exact same thing!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1207.50
nachob2307.00
      02-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #27
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I think 1M garners very little attention from most, but from the non Ferrari/lambo car crowd it gets as much attention as any car out there.

Year after year the thumbs up and guys chasing me for pictures continues. Less guys waiting for me in the parking lot these days which I like lol I love a thumbs up, but don't roll your window down to chat me up unless you've really got something to say.

Favorite is that I rotate all my cars, 1M is mainly track day fun these days but I drive them all as my wife does too for the most part(got lucky, she's more careful than I am with them).

Theres nothing like driving behind her driving the 1M and seeing guys in m4's fly up on her to give a thumbs up, look inside a far from stock 1M and see a tiny girl driving it, I can watch their minds melt.

It's always been her favorite too.
///BYU268.50