BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

7K VO, Virgina stripper for sale on BAT.

Scoop it up while you can! My bet is on $65 - $70 (some paint issues noted and front license plate). No comments on tread, could be original tires. Undercarriage looks clean, pics not close enough to see any road rash on rear fenders, or front bumper/hood. Note also that the original mobility kits on our cars expired around 2015, so for collectors use the original is great. If you get a flat, maybe not.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1207.50
      06-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Reserve not met, highest bid was $55K
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Yeah? I was surprised by this one....there was literally no action in it at all 🤔

Are values and interest subsiding a bit???
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Yeah? I was surprised by this one....there was literally no action in it at all 🤔

Looking at the recent auctions, it would seem values are going down (or rather not appreciating).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Looking at the recent auctions, it would seem values are going down (or rather not appreciating).
As much as I love the 1 series overall, I think the 1M won’t really appreciate until they are more like 30 years old. And right now with all the horsepower wars and EVs out there, the 1M has serious competition. Even the new M2 has a real M car engine now, which couldn’t be said before. I feel lots of variables dragging the price of them down but still higher than original MSRP so no need to cry at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Anyone buying this car, or most any other car, as an investment, is a fool.

That having been said, there are very few 1Ms out there, which means it is a very thin market. It's like real estate where I live, in a small town near a ski area. All you need is a very slight imbalance in the number of sellers vs. buyers, to cause huge swings in property valuations, either up or down.

I wouldn't put any value in observations over short periods of time (like a year) on the "true value" or trendline of valuations on this car. It's all statistical noise, and if you decided to sell your car 9 months from now, the market will have changed, and it will either be stronger or weaker than it is now.
analogue234.50
1'M Blue252.50
Mdawood121.50
      06-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #7
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
That having been said, there are very few 1Ms out there, which means it is a very thin market.
Indeed, and the market was invaded by collector/investor buyers instead of driver-owners ever since March 2011. I believe that alone has had a lasting impact on the prices.

Maybe there is a shift to driver-owners balancing things out.

Or maybe there are fewer of us that want the car that will speak to you through the steering wheel, always telling you to take the long way home.

Or it could simply be that a $65K reserve for a car on the collector grade bubble, at a time of year when collectors are summering with their families at their vacation homes was too optimistic.
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1538.50
      06-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I would personally like to see prices come down enough to get more of the cars into the hands of drivers.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
drowningman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '19 i3s '19 F60

After 2 years of looking and missing out 3 times I bought one last month under sticker.

It was a factory order, original owner, drivers car, all maintenance records with tasteful mods I would have done myself anyway. Maybe not these mods exactly but in the 1 hour conversation I had with the owner he justified his choices well.

I do like the fact it's not depreciating like my other BMW's

Been the most driving fun I've had since I was 16. Someone who parks these cars for collecting is wasting their value. IMHO
Appreciate 4
Tuxedo1398.50
seis-speed2426.00
      06-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post

Here is what I wrote in the other thread that discussed this car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Correct. There aren't a lot of people looking to overpay for low mile examples. BaT has had a few now and those that wanted them, got them. This is the issue with BaT. If you are one of the first to offer a special car, you'll do well. But if you snooze, you lose.
Seller is surely grateful he put a reserve on it.
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1207.50
seis-speed2426.00
      06-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Analogue I also agree with some minor differences. I was there in the beginning waiting for a 1M two years before March 2011.

I am one of those driver owners you speak of so so while the internet is full of opinions I will just throw mine out there.

In the beginning there were many people that got the 1M simply because it was the next M car. You can tell because they didn't get what the car had been intended for and ordered them fully loaded despite the car being a reaction to the bloated M cars that preceded it. Anti bloat was the raison d'etre for the 1M.

Many of these M fans simply got a new M car every 3 years. There were a few that saw the greatness early on and held them as collectors cars too but my sense from speaking with many people looking for one NOW is that they are fans that want one of the last of the gunfighters.

This warms my heart.

I was there in the beginning having to see idiotic posts about why BMW didn't offer the DCT or EDC or Sunroof or Corinthian Leather or a more luxurious interior. One poster or poser if you drop the T even complained about the vanity mirror in the visor not having a light. Now I hear people that want the naughty behavior or no longer available hydraulic steering and it warms my petrol loving heart that had lost faith listening to the edc or vanity light idiocy.

People are willing to pay big bucks for this and the vast majority see the greatness in NOT having DCT and EDC.

Finally while I generally agree that cars should be driven and my first 1M was a daily driver. I don't begrudge anyone that only drives only weekends. These cars are special because that can't be replaced and there is no joy driving them in traffic.

It takes me 10 minutes to get to work at a university where I have been rear ended twice by college kids speeding or on phones. It takes 15 minutes for the 1M to warm up so you do the math.

There is no joy risking my rare ride when it's not even warmed up by the time I pull it into the parking structure of death with parking lines 6 inches wider than the car and college kids using your car as a door stop.

Weekends are another story and I'll volunteer to drive 20 miles away to a bakery just because the drive is so nice.

So yes drive these cars but people shouldn't cast ///M stones because there are different situations for everyone.

In any case I see the cars holding their value as a bonus not the main driver but it is also fair for many to use it in the calculus as to why they would spend $50k on an 8 year old BMW whose 135i brethren are selling for 15k.

Finally I see another upside to the high value. Many are taking care of these cars for that reason!

I am sad to see so many amazing cars that were inexpensive becoming extinct because they ended up in the hands of kids that destroyed them. Think of the 1980-1981 Scirocco S, 1983-1984 GTI, 1991-1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R and soon every old Miata that ends up as a disposable car and there are none left. I was watching a documentary about the P-51 Mustang. Most were sold cheaply and some for scrap at one point. If the values had been higher how many more surviving examples would we have today?
Appreciate 8
Gangplank1538.50
JP-1M171.00
CarJunkie2615.50
Tuxedo1398.50
champignon1562.00
Rikx1M559.00
///BYU268.50
      06-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Brilliant.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #13
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Analogue I also agree with some minor differences. I was there in the beginning waiting for a 1M two years before March 2011.

I am one of those driver owners you speak of so so while the internet is full of opinions I will just throw mine out there.

In the beginning there were many people that got the 1M simply because it was the next M car. You can tell because they didn't get what the car had been intended for and ordered them fully loaded despite the car being a reaction to the bloated M cars that preceded it. Anti bloat was the raison d'etre for the 1M.

Many of these M fans simply got a new M car every 3 years. There were a few that saw the greatness early on and held them as collectors cars too but my sense from speaking with many people looking for one NOW is that they are fans that want one of the last of the gunfighters.

This warms my heart.

I was there in the beginning having to see idiotic posts about why BMW didn't offer the DCT or EDC or Sunroof or Corinthian Leather or a more luxurious interior. One poster or poser if you drop the T even complained about the vanity mirror in the visor not having a light. Now I hear people that want the naughty behavior or no longer available hydraulic steering and it warms my petrol loving heart that had lost faith listening to the edc or vanity light idiocy.

People are willing to pay big bucks for this and the vast majority see the greatness in NOT having DCT and EDC.

Finally while I generally agree that cars should be driven and my first 1M was a daily driver. I don't begrudge anyone that only drives only weekends. These cars are special because that can't be replaced and there is no joy driving them in traffic.

It takes me 10 minutes to get to work at a university where I have been rear ended twice by college kids speeding or on phones. It takes 15 minutes for the 1M to warm up so you do the math.

There is no joy risking my rare ride when it's not even warmed up by the time I pull it into the parking structure of death with parking lines 6 inches wider than the car and college kids using your car as a door stop.

Weekends are another story and I'll volunteer to drive 20 miles away to a bakery just because the drive is so nice.

So yes drive these cars but people shouldn't cast ///M stones because there are different situations for everyone.

In any case I see the cars holding their value as a bonus not the main driver but it is also fair for many to use it in the calculus as to why they would spend $50k on an 8 year old BMW whose 135i brethren are selling for 15k.

Finally I see another upside to the high value. Many are taking care of these cars for that reason!

I am sad to see so many amazing cars that were inexpensive becoming extinct because they ended up in the hands of kids that destroyed them. Think of the 1980-1981 Scirocco S, 1983-1984 GTI, 1991-1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R and soon every old Miata that ends up as a disposable car and there are none left. I was watching a documentary about the P-51 Mustang. Most were sold cheaply and some for scrap at one point. If the values had been higher how many more surviving examples would we have today?
I cannot agree with you more!

I am in a similar situation—I love my car to death but my commute to work is literally 10 minutes and the roads here in Toronto are probably among the worst you'll see. There is no point in driving the 1M to and from work....there is absolutely no fun sitting in traffic for 10 minutes then parking it, working for 8 hours, then driving it back home at 5 o'clock traffic.

A lot of my family or friends always ask me "why don't you drive it more" or "why don't you drive it to work"...I tell them exactly that..I'm literally doing the car a disservice by having it sit in traffic for 10 minutes.

I reserve it for weekends, and if it's a shitty wet weekend..oh well—I'll wait till the next one. I still love the car even if I'm not driving it (most people don't get that!).

When I picked up the car brand new at the dealer, a lot of the sales reps, including the dealer owner told me to keep it as long as I could because things were changing and they wouldn't be making cars like this any more—they were totally right.
Appreciate 6
seis-speed2426.00
nachob2307.00
JP-1M171.00
///BYU268.50