BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #45
ktish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6mt

Hi Detailed Image!

I was hoping you could give some insight into what the best way to go about protecting the black shadowline trim around the windows would be on my car. I'm probably going to end up coating the entire car so I am open to the idea of some kind of coating on the trim.

Also I'm looking to keep the steeringwheel and seats in the car looking as new as possible for as long as possible, I was hoping you could shed some light on that subject for me. I am again considering using a leather coating like cquartz leather or similar.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #46
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktish View Post
Hi Detailed Image!

I was hoping you could give some insight into what the best way to go about protecting the black shadowline trim around the windows would be on my car. I'm probably going to end up coating the entire car so I am open to the idea of some kind of coating on the trim.

Also I'm looking to keep the steeringwheel and seats in the car looking as new as possible for as long as possible, I was hoping you could shed some light on that subject for me. I am again considering using a leather coating like cquartz leather or similar.

Thanks!
I'm not a BMW guy (sorry), but as I understand it, the shadowline trim is a painted or glossy trim around the windows? If so, you should use the same nano coating that you have used on the rest of the painted surfaces to protect this area.

Modern leather is quite easy to take care of. A coating is a good choice, but it mostly comes down to routine cleaning and care. All you really need is a basic interior cleaner such as Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for regular wipe downs to ensure dirt/grime does not build up on the surfaces. In the event that you need to do a deeper clean from time to time, CarPro Inside works very well.

Product Review: CarPro Inside Interior and Leather Cleaner by Zach McGovern

Zach McGovern
DI Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #47
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Hello Greg or Zach, I have bought many products from your site recently and over the years. I just bought Blackfire interior protectant. It is the best interior product I have used. Leaves a nice low gloss sheen.

My question is how would I go about cleaning the headliner in my car? The sunroof shade is dirty (my car is nine years old) and I thought about cleaning that... but if I did, the rest of the headliner would look dirty. Maybe a professional shop would use a steam clean system to do a proper job. Not sure how to tackle this. thanks
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 10-12-2017 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #48
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Hello Greg or Zach, I have bought many products from your site recently and over the years. I just bought Blackfire interior protectant. It is the best interior product I have used. Leaves a nice low gloss sheen.

My question is how would I go about cleaning the headliner in my car? The sunroof shade is dirty (my car is nine years old) and I thought about cleaning that... but if I did, the rest of the headliner would look dirty. Maybe a professional shop would use a steam clean system to do a proper job. Not sure how to tackle this. thanks
In Chad's article "The Many Uses for Meguiars D101 APC (All Purpose Cleaner)" he touches briefly on the topic of cleaning headliners...

"For cleaning of cloth headliners I suggest misting the APC directly onto your towel and gently wiping the soiled areas. You want to avoid getting the headliner material too wet as it can affect the adhesive used to adhere the cloth material. Vinyl headliners can safely be cleaned using the same method as other vinyl surfaces."

As he mentioned, the important thing to remember is you do not want to over saturate the cloth headliner as it may affect the adhesive that has attached the cloth to the body. This method can be applied with any cloth/fabric/all purpose type cleaners.

Hope that helps!

Zach McGovern
DI Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #49
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Hi Zach,
I recently picked up a SunJoe SPX-3000 2000psi 1.76gpm pressure washer, which did a fabulous job on my fence!
Was going to ask about tips for using it on my car, but before I do thought I ought to conduct a search. Found the Pressure Washer's article on DI Ask-A-Pro Detailer's Blog.
Best part was the pics, and this:

"Thank you for the message and we do apologize for any confusion. A pressure washer by itself generally will not give you enough cleaning power to remove all dirt and contamination. You are going to have to use a Foam Lance/Shampoo to help encapsulate dirt particles and remove them safely. I generally pair my pressure washer with a Foam Lance, spray the car, let the soap sit for a few minutes and wash with my wash mitt. The Foam Lance sprays a thick layer of soap onto the car, which allows it to sit on the surface longer and pull dirt away from the paint. Then you can remove it with a wash mitt and finally a rinse.

For the drying, you always want to dry the car, especially if you do not have a CR Spotless unit hooked up to your water supply. Water spots are caused by minerals in the water and many areas have hard water that causes imperfections when the paint is not dried off. I personally do not have a CR Spotless unit, so I use a combo of the Waffle Weave Drying Towel and a Metro Vac Master Blaster Revolution."

My Foam Lance is due in tomorrow, so hopefully come Monday the car will be shining like never before.

Just wanted to thank you for the assistance, even though I did not need to ask about it directly.
Appreciate 1