BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
Yes install was plug and play, very easy. They are heated, and i recommend buying them from schmiedmann, seemed to be the cheapest and easiest
Thanks!

Looked at their site.....confusing.
Would you have the part number available?

I have the dimming option, so not sure the harness plug will be compatible.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #24
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCShred View Post
Curious on how you went about deleting the fog lights? Any tips or tricks? I've got the same front bumper ready to be installed... Beautiful car btw
Thank you! And i followed BMW instructions, it says to zip tie them away and not use the switch : (leave the bulbs attached), or alternatively you can pay a bunch and have the function coded out.

Instructions:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...8&d=1291187582
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops

Last edited by 519.E82; 05-13-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
MCShred99.00
      05-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #25
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
Quote:
Yes install was plug and play, very easy. They are heated, and i recommend buying them from schmiedmann, seemed to be the cheapest and easiest
Thanks!

Looked at their site.....confusing.
Would you have the part number available?

I have the dimming option, so not sure the harness plug will be compatible.
Im not fully sure about the dimming option, these are non powerfold, without anti dazzel, and without memory but are heated. SP818288M is the part number on their site

Edit: if you want to see what the connector on these look like i can post it if you would like to check yours
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #26
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Im not fully sure about the dimming option, these are non powerfold, without anti dazzel, and without memory but are heated. SP818288M is the part number on their site

Edit: if you want to see what the connector on these look like i can post it if you would like to check yours
Yes that would be wonderful

I have read on on other threads that the dimming option has a completely different plug.

I am only interested in retaining the heating option anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here you can see the plug, to check it you can just pull the pillar speaker out, you don't have to remove the door card.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #28
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Been a long time since I updated this thread, not much happened for several months while the car was in storage, but since quite a few things have happened.

Ill make several post 1 for each major thing starting with - replacing my valve cover. Last year i discovered i had a slight valve cover leak, very minor but I hated the smoke and decided i needed to fix it before i continued driving. That resulted me putting the car into storage about a month early as i didn't want to spend the money right away just to put it in storage.

The job went decently well, took about 8 hours maybe spread out over the course of a week. Mostly took so long because I was freezing around -10°C in an unheated garage doing it. I also encountered several problems. You'll see in a photo dump at the end this job became way more costly than I anticipated. What I originally thought would be just a valve cover gasket replacement, became replace an entire valve cover and consult a professional to extract a bolt. The valve cover its self just broke at one corner, not really sure how if it was during removal or sometime before but that needed to be replaced. Next up a broken valve cover bolt. Not an easy outside one though, but one inside the cover that grounds i believe the fuel rail (can't remember exactly was a while ago). That became probably my biggest problem, but $280 later it was properly extracted and repaired with a heli-coil.

In all honesty if i didn't have these 2 expensive problems i encountered and it wasn't as cold out side this job could have been done wayyy quicker. On my last day i reassembled everything in maybe an hour, flew threw it all seamlessly. Also to note i was very pleased with how the overall engine looked inside, very clean.

Sorry if photos are huge just easier to do a mobile post
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Yeineken1297.50
      05-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #29
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Now that the maintenance was done, it was time to do a fun mod.

I committed to myself this year that I would go to the track - had always wanted to but this year I promised myself i would follow through. I had done a lot of reading about going to the track in these cars and most BMW's and all have the same suggestion. Camber Plates. My choice as a beginner in track driver, and still dailying the car in summer were the Dinan camber plates. They are best known as a fixed plate that doesn't create/cause any additional NVH.

The Install
The install was very easy, I want to say around only 6 bolts on driver side and 5 on passenger need to be removed. The technique me and a buddy used was just to pull the strut completely out (with the aid of a large pry bar to shimmy it out of its collar). The only part to watch for on this is scratching the fender. I basically rotated the strut several times (just spun it around) and it rotated its self out mostly. The Dinan instructions and very clear and make it very easy.

Alignment
I 100% would recommend doing an alignment as soon as possible.
my alignment post install before adjustments:
Camber:
FL: -2.03 FR: -2.57

Toe:
FL: -0.31 FR: -0.43

Camber was okay, still took into account the adjustment for road crown but was a little to excessive (the difference). The toe was wayyyy out of line and would absolutely destroy my tires.

To adjust I only played with the tie rods, and after correcting the toe i also got more camber.
Camber:
FL: -2.09 FR: -2.62

Toe:
FL 0.12 FR: 0.11

The last couple degrees of toe were very finicky, but I was happy where we left it. The car doesn't pull at all even with the offset camber and after a track day wore very evenly. I followed recommendations of others for toe to stay within BMW recommended specs, just the very minimum.

Overall I am very happy with the mod, it looks pleasing and drives/handles very well.

Photos
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #30
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Pictures from last post to overcome bimmerpost errors
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Matticus913466.00
      05-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #31
deesea
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Very nice. Supremely jealous of your Aero bumper. Been looking for one, and recently found out they are NLA
Appreciate 1
519.E82243.00
      05-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #32
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesea View Post
Very nice. Supremely jealous of your Aero bumper. Been looking for one, and recently found out they are NLA
Yeah ive been reading lots of threads about the bumper, sideskirts, and exhaust. Major bummer. I wanted to eventually get the alcantara steering wheel but i doubt thats around anymore either
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #33
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I wanted to eventually get the alcantara steering wheel but i doubt thats around anymore either
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D

According to this website, still available. If it is, you might want to get one before they go away, like other Performance parts for the 1 series are doing.