Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!
BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #1365
MONEY
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
After getting the bench flash I did the full write of Map0 without any problems. Car e82 N55 6MT started fine and runs (almost) as expected. Things that I noticed:

Cons:
- linear throttle didn't change anything, so I disabled it again
- getting random short throttle bursts in low rpm when applying little throttle. Car then thrusts a bit forward or sputters once

Pros:
- cold start noise reduction worked right from the start. No problems with idle or stalling at all
- raised min rpm to 900 and it works perfectly! Car is so much smoother in idle now

Anyone else experiencing the mentioned cons?
Will do a log in Map0 before flashing map2 to see if everything is fine before tuning. Does that make sense?

My linear throttle works great, and no plans of ever going back to stock throttle map. Regarding the other con, I will randomly at times get the short throttle burst when applying little throttle. It happens every now and then, for instance when I am coming to a stop and doing a Cali roll.. Car won't take and then it kicks in really fast and launches forward.

Pros - I've never done the cold start noise reduction, and from reading people having issues with it I am skeptical on trying it. Also, never tried raising the min rpms, what exactly does that help with?

I am running the Stage 2 Plus MHD map. However, my car still raises the rpms up to like 1000 when I come to a stop with the AC on, and then goes back down. I noticed it in the beginning, but not much of a big deal anymore. Doesn't ever happen when the AC is off.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 03:28 AM   #1366
TylerD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
My linear throttle works great, and no plans of ever going back to stock throttle map.
Hm, might give it another try then and reset the throttle also.

Quote:
Regarding the other con, I will randomly at times get the short throttle burst when applying little throttle.
Anyone else having this? @twisted Is this a known problem?

Quote:
I've never done the cold start noise reduction, and from reading people having issues with it I am skeptical on trying it. Also, never tried raising the min rpms, what exactly does that help with?
I read that too, but the cold start was way too loud for me with PE + DP, so I gave it a shot and what can I say, working as intended

My last car was a 323ti and it had that awesome smooth idle. I know you cant get that in todays BMWs, but at 850rpm idle its ok now. Always thought that 650rpm is much too low and the car was rather rough and shaky. Well, that is a thing of the past now and I couldnt care less about the additional 0,0001l gas consumption
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #1367
YearOneOne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
Put it on YouTube and post it. I'm very curious as to what is going on with yours. Is it driving now without the beta tune?

That link should work... Yes, car started and has been driving fine so far. I'm thinking it's the battery from what I'm reading, but the charge was fine when I hooked up the battery charger... And the code and issue in the video don't add up to me.
So its fine now since going back? Keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #1368
YearOneOne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
After getting the bench flash I did the full write of Map0 without any problems. Car e82 N55 6MT started fine and runs (almost) as expected. Things that I noticed:

Cons:
- linear throttle didn't change anything, so I disabled it again
- getting random short throttle bursts in low rpm when applying little throttle. Car then thrusts a bit forward or sputters once

Pros:
- cold start noise reduction worked right from the start. No problems with idle or stalling at all
- raised min rpm to 900 and it works perfectly! Car is so much smoother in idle now

Anyone else experiencing the mentioned cons?
Will do a log in Map0 before flashing map2 to see if everything is fine before tuning. Does that make sense?

My linear throttle works great, and no plans of ever going back to stock throttle map. Regarding the other con, I will randomly at times get the short throttle burst when applying little throttle. It happens every now and then, for instance when I am coming to a stop and doing a Cali roll.. Car won't take and then it kicks in really fast and launches forward.

Pros - I've never done the cold start noise reduction, and from reading people having issues with it I am skeptical on trying it. Also, never tried raising the min rpms, what exactly does that help with?

I am running the Stage 2 Plus MHD map. However, my car still raises the rpms up to like 1000 when I come to a stop with the AC on, and then goes back down. I noticed it in the beginning, but not much of a big deal anymore. Doesn't ever happen when the AC is off.
Raising the rpm is mainly for smfw guys to help with the chatter but I agree with above the idle does feel smoother
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #1369
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

https://datazap.me/u/twisteddrum5/e3...-28&zoom=34-84

Tried E30 map today with E30 caluclated by http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php.

I had some real bad stutters up top. You can see it corrects timing BAD up top right after my rail pressure drops to ~1750. I didn't think it mattered till 1500?

Anyone have any advice? I was running just fine on the 91 Tune. I'd get minor timing corrections, but nothing like this.

Edit:
Mods are just DP's and Charge Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #1370
The Wind Breezes
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDrum5 View Post
You need a aftermarket intercooler or meth in phoenix. Your car is pulling the power probably because IAT is high. Stock IC will suck even on stock tune there in summer. I don't think E30 is enough to be able to "ignore" IAT.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:36 AM   #1371
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You need a aftermarket intercooler or meth in phoenix. Your car is pulling the power probably because IAT is high. Stock IC will suck even on stock tune there in summer. I don't think E30 is enough to be able to "ignore" IAT.
Ugh, I know.

I'm running around 120-140 IAT.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #1372
bbnks2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
https://datazap.me/u/twisteddrum5/e3...-28&zoom=34-84

Tried E30 map today with E30 caluclated by http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php.

I had some real bad stutters up top. You can see it corrects timing BAD up top right after my rail pressure drops to ~1750. I didn't think it mattered till 1500?

Anyone have any advice? I was running just fine on the 91 Tune. I'd get minor timing corrections, but nothing like this.

Edit:
Why are you trying to do a pull in 6th gear lol? Down shift... That's your first problem. Second seems to be that your rail pressure is dipping and afr is leaning out. Either too much ethanol was added or the tune is a bit too agressive for your car/fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #1373
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, N55, 6MT, MPK

Garage List
Can someone please look at this log for me. I have been having issues stalling out coasting in neutral on cold starts, or during reverse to 1st changes on cold starts, as well as fluctuating idle rpms on cold start. I don't know much about timing corrections, but from what I've researched, I don't think this looks great. I'm seeing much bigger corrections on the # 4 & 6 cylinder, some on #3 & 5, and 1 & 2 looks fine... I'm not expert, just trying to narrow this down, so any help is appreciated.

https://datazap.me/u/csween86/log-15...og=0&data=3-14
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #1374
The Wind Breezes
Major
Rep

Sounds like a vacuum leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #1375
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Can someone please look at this log for me. I have been having issues stalling out coasting in neutral on cold starts, or during reverse to 1st changes on cold starts, as well as fluctuating idle rpms on cold start. I don't know much about timing corrections, but from what I've researched, I don't think this looks great. I'm seeing much bigger corrections on the # 4 & 6 cylinder, some on #3 & 5, and 1 & 2 looks fine... I'm not expert, just trying to narrow this down, so any help is appreciated.

Quote:
Sounds like a vacuum leak.
could be a vac leak like said. Notice it was pretty rich before building boos.t i'd reset fuel adaptations. And see if it improves. if not. may be a vac leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #1376
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tuning View Post

could be a vac leak like said. Notice it was pretty rich before building boos.t i'd reset fuel adaptations. And see if it improves. if not. may be a vac leak.
Sounds good. I'll try to get it done before I head out to work tonight and take some logs. How is the timing looking on those logs as of now?

*edit* Attached is the new log. I reset adaptions and timing does look much better overall from what I understand... If something is still not looking good to you guys, please let me know. Also, if this something bad enough that I should stop driving my car immediately, please let me know, lol.

Last edited by csween86; 07-01-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #1377
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Why are you trying to do a pull in 6th gear lol? Down shift... That's your first problem. Second seems to be that your rail pressure is dipping and afr is leaning out. Either too much ethanol was added or the tune is a bit too agressive for your car/fuel pump.
I wasn't trying to do a pull, just putting the car under load to see how it would respond, and logging was on for that.

I'll try a proper pull later, although 1-3rd up to 6k is pulling REALLY strong right now.

What's a low rail pressure reading?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #1378
bbnks2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
I wasn't trying to do a pull, just putting the car under load to see how it would respond, and logging was on for that.

I'll try a proper pull later, although 1-3rd up to 6k is pulling REALLY strong right now.

What's a low rail pressure reading?
Under 1800psi or so? Depends on what's being targeted but that's what I'd consider to be low, personally. I'd like to see my own over 2k psi even though I've had it as low as 1300psi without issue. Really depends on other tunung factors that also affect cylinder filling.
135i: E30 map by TwistedTuning, VRSF DP, Kerscher +15mm fenders, Kosei K8R 255/40/17, M3 control arms, UUC trans mounts, DV+, Whiteline RSFB, 5" intercooler, Charge Pipe, PC925 (23lb), UUC SSK, YCW Coilovers 6k/16k, Monroe shock mounts, Diff lockdown, Catch Can, N20 TMAP, 335is clutch, SMFW, 034 engine mounts, M3 Steering rack
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #1379
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Can someone look at these logs for me and tell me how they look please? I was told I was running rich before boost, and also had some timing corrections, but I've reset adaptions and hoping things look better now. I think timing looks better now, but a confirmation would be nice, and I have no idea how to tell if I'm running rich or not.

Also, I need a new battery. If I get the same type of battery, can I just use the reset battery adaptions feature on mhd, or do I still need to code it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #1380
The Wind Breezes
Major
Rep

Well your lambda does dip pretty low right when you hit boost. Also, the boost spike when you let off could be a DV issue. Other than that the tune looks good and your IAT looks great. The timing corrections are very minor and no worry.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #1381
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well your lambda does dip pretty low right when you hit boost. Also, the boost spike when you let off could be a DV issue. Other than that the tune looks good and your IAT looks great. The timing corrections are very minor and no worry.
Sounds good, thanks for looking. I've talked to Justin before and I think I remember him saying boost spike is normal when letting off after wot or between up-shifts... With the lambda dipping low, what issues do I have to worry about with that? Is that likely a failing o2 sensor?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #1382
The Wind Breezes
Major
Rep

Here are a couple logs. Car has gutted downpipe and charge pipe, running ~E30 mixed from E10 93 and E85 on latest STABLE mhd release, 1.24 with v1 maps.

First log is from racing a F80 M3, at first dead even then I started pulling slowly near the end. Now timing corrections look great but what's with the ridiculously low advance? I am worried about high EGT with this timing. You can see it goes from 6* at 5500 to 3.5* a couple gears later, both at full load with supposedly no corrections. What's the deal?

https://datazap.me/u/germaniumcars/l...og=0&data=4-16

Second log is a brief pull on the E30 tune. Obviously the car is not happy. Now, I don't have an intercooler but these are brief pulls and the IAT does not get that high. Any thoughts? Surely the addition of an intercooler alone to the current setup is not enough to run this with safe timing corrections.

https://datazap.me/u/germaniumcars/l...og=1&data=4-16
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #1383
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update to the guys following on the cold start stalling and fluctuating rpms issue. My battery went completely flat a couple days ago. I just changed it today. I think that was the reason my instrument cluster was wigging out and car failing to start at times. Not sure if that's what was causing the rpm fluctuation and cold start stalls, but I think it is though. I'll give it a week and let you know how I make out. I did flash back to the beta version since I had left that initially as a precaution, but doesn't seem to be the culprit at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #1384
inevitab1e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N55 E82 135is FBO JB4

Quote:
Update to the guys following on the cold start stalling and fluctuating rpms issue. My battery went completely flat a couple days ago. I just changed it today. I think that was the reason my instrument cluster was wigging out and car failing to start at times. Not sure if that's what was causing the rpm fluctuation and cold start stalls, but I think it is though. I'll give it a week and let you know how I make out. I did flash back to the beta version since I had left that initially as a precaution, but doesn't seem to be the culprit at all.
I recently did the MHD BEF w/ JB4 and am getting the cold start issues. Low rpms and any throttle and the engine will sputter/drop rpms. Not sure the cause.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #1385
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Here are a couple logs. Car has gutted downpipe and charge pipe, running ~E30 mixed from E10 93 and E85 on latest STABLE mhd release, 1.24 with v1 maps.

First log is from racing a F80 M3, at first dead even then I started pulling slowly near the end. Now timing corrections look great but what's with the ridiculously low advance? I am worried about high EGT with this timing. You can see it goes from 6* at 5500 to 3.5* a couple gears later, both at full load with supposedly no corrections. What's the deal?

https://datazap.me/u/germaniumcars/l...og=0&data=4-16

Second log is a brief pull on the E30 tune. Obviously the car is not happy. Now, I don't have an intercooler but these are brief pulls and the IAT does not get that high. Any thoughts? Surely the addition of an intercooler alone to the current setup is not enough to run this with safe timing corrections.

https://datazap.me/u/germaniumcars/l...og=1&data=4-16
Your IATs are super high. The tune is set to reduce timing target as IATS skyrocket. hell, on the E30 tune, your IATs get up to 170 degrees. You're running a tune made for intercooler and downpipes. Tune is doing its job by removing timing to keep the engine safe. Mod recommendations are there from a reason. use them
Appreciate 0