BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Need Headliner DIY for my antenna

Hey fellas,

I cant seem to find a solid diy, photos, step by step to remove the headliner for a 2009 135i. My reason to do this is to replace #1 on the link below. Does anyone have a step by step procedure or knows if i can remove just the rear portion to gain access to the part i need to replace?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_1804
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

I want to say it just unclips in the back and maybe you need to take something out back there? I have taken one out of another 128 but that was a year or so ago and don’t remember much. Ill look in my car tomorrow to see if i can at least remember a little bit

Last edited by F13.KENN; 05-27-2018 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

hey blue, thank you.
I appreciate any advice i can get.. ive done a bit of researching i believe i can remove the C pillars and try to pry the headliner down to get at the antenna? Sure let me know ill keep my eyes on this thread.. i may DIY it and write it up because i cant even find an E82 headliner removal video on youtube etc
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
hey blue, thank you.
I appreciate any advice i can get.. ive done a bit of researching i believe i can remove the C pillars and try to pry the headliner down to get at the antenna? Sure let me know ill keep my eyes on this thread.. i may DIY it and write it up because i cant even find an E82 headliner removal video on youtube etc
Youre welcome! was just messing around with it in my car a few minutes ago. All you need to take off is the C pillar to replace the antenna. No need to mess with the headliner but i will add it in anyways!

Step 1: remove the airbag clip/sign i guess you could call it. thinner the tool you use to pry it off, the better. i dont recomend prying from the corners of the clip

Step 2: With the clip removed, remove the screw holding the c pillar in place. I used a T20 bit BUT i believe it actually needs a T25. (T20 is the largest i had available.)

Step 3: Unclip the C pillar. It may seem like you might break it but just make sure you start off prying it gently near the bottom (arrow) then when you have enough space at the top (box), mainly pry it off at the top to avoid breaking the C pillar if the clips are even that hard to unclip.

Step 4: With the C pillar off, you will have an 8mm bolt holding the headliner in place (red circle).

The blue circle, is the [s]"antenna amplifier diversity"[/s]

Last edited by F13.KENN; 05-29-2018 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Hey blue,

Thank you once again for taking the time to attempt this and take photos, i am truly grateful. I have one question though.. check this link below is your car also a 135i?

I dont know if this link is correct but on my car the diversity amplifier is above it.. but it looks like i will have to use your instructions to remove the C-Pillars, i ordered the part labeled #1 in that link so once it comes i will follow your guide but i will need to just go a little further too in removing pieces i believe
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey blue,

Thank you once again for taking the time to attempt this and take photos, i am truly grateful. I have one question though.. check this link below is your car also a 135i?

I dont know if this link is correct but on my car the diversity amplifier is above it.. but it looks like i will have to use your instructions to remove the C-Pillars, i ordered the part labeled #1 in that link so once it comes i will follow your guide but i will need to just go a little further too in removing pieces i believe
Youre welcome! For some reason it wont let me go to that link anymore. My car is a 128i. What do you mean by “above it”?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Sorry i meant the headliner by "above it" above the C-pillars. Let me know if you can see this attached image. It shows #1 as the part i will need to replace and it must be under the rear of the headliner
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #8
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry i meant the headliner by "above it" above the C-pillars. Let me know if you can see this attached image. It shows #1 as the part i will need to replace and it must be under the rear of the headliner
Ohhhhhh my bad... My slow self was thinking #2 was #1.....for #1 you will take off both C pillars, unbolt the headliner on both sides, and maybe the B pillars as well. Dont think you will be able to have enough room with just the C pillars off
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #9
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

ahahaha no worries.. Ill keep you updated once my part arrives.. im going to try to get away with just the C-pillars cause it looks so close to the rear windsheild
Appreciate 0