BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 Audi S4

Thinking of a 135i, need advice...

Hello all, I am a nOOb nere, but have been on the Audi forums for a while.

I drive a 2000 Audi S4 and am thinking of selling it and getting a 135i. I tried for a long time to think of a car that I would be happy to replace my beloved S4 and had this idea the other day.

The points that make me want one:

Similar setup as the S4 with a 6 Cylinder Twin Turbo Engine
Aggressive looks (I don't like many new cars these days...)
Great handling
Modifiable (probably won't do anything at least for a while, but it;s nice to know)
Good Online Community

I test drove one today and wasn't 100% impressed but i am hoping it was just that it was automatic. It felt like It was hesitating during WOT and then all of a sudden the gas pedal would go even further to the floor when I already had it pinned. I am completely new to Newer cars, especially BMW's but I had DTS off and don't know what it was doing.

I didn't like the paddle shifters because you always have to be in a gear. You can't just push the clutch in or throw it in neutral, giving it a more jerky ride feeling (maybe I just need to get used to it?)

What can I expect with this car for repairs, common problems i should look for, anything you think I would like to know would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

so im guessing you wanna buy one vs lease it? right
      01-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

did you test drive a 2011 "automatic" (your words) or did you drive a 2010 or older automatic?

the 2011 cars have a DCT transmission which is realistically a manual with a computarized clutch pack.

2010 and older cars have a conventional automatic (e.g. planitary gearset with a torque convertor).

They both drive differently, so if you want an auto, make sure to try both. While I wanted a DCT, I ended up getting the conventional auto. I drive quite a bit in traffic every day and I don't want to deal with a clutch pedal. (I have a weekend racer with a stick for that). The ZF transmission that's in the 2010 and older cars is (IMO) the second best full auto in existence (Next to the Lexus 8-speed, which can bang off even quicker shifts and can lock the tq convertor even sooner than the ZF). That being said the ZF tranny does feel different than most automatics I've driven.

If you must have true twin turbos, then you have no other choice than the ZF auto. If that's what you really want, you also might want to try a different shift schedule. If you test drove it in normal 'drive' then try the 'sport' mode, which shifts quicker (aka reduced shift time) but shifts later in the rev band, yet holds the gear even if you get off the gas (Unlike conventional autos).

Good luck!
      01-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, I would probably go with a 2008 6MT with sports package. I would like some nice options, but it's not a priority after being in a 2000 for so long anything will be amazing to me... I can't get a straight answer as to what cars offer the DCT. Is it just the new 7 speed auto?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
spyderx
Private First Class
Rep

you may be disappointed w/ 135 coming from S4. I know I am coming from Evo VIII.
135 is a decent sporty cruiser at best.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

I drove a 2008 with the paddle shifters. I liked it for how quickly it shifted, it just is no manual transmission which i feel like I need. I also don't think I can afford anything newer than 2008 (30K is likely my limit).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderx View Post
you may be disappointed w/ 135 coming from S4. I know I am coming from Evo VIII.
135 is a decent sporty cruiser at best.
Well, mine is a 2000 so I am mostly going for something newer. Any other vehicle suggestions? I also like that i could do a few upgrades and would be able to add a bit of power. I also like the feel of the suspension (not too stiff, not soo soft, juuuust right for a DD)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep

As far as the 1 series goes, only 2011 135i's have the DCT. DCT's can be found in lots of other cars as well, but yeah 2011 is the magic year for them with the 135i.

So the 08 you drove had the same auto I have, the ZF. Did you drive in drive (straight down) or did you drive in sport (down, then left)? it may make the difference you need/want.

You can probably do better than 08 for 30k. I paid not much more than that and got my 2010 with only 4xxx miles on it.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend a 2010. I would recommend a 2009, simply because BMW decided to "decontent" the car on a few things. If you ever plan to listen to the radio, then don't get the 2010. It has a horrible radio with no tweeters at all. The earlier than 2010 cars have a much better setup.

One thing that you do owe it to yourself is to google "135i HPFP" because as much as I love my car, they eat fuel pumps for breakfast. BMW has extended warranty's on most years (again, not on 2010...or so I know) but a great warranty doesn't mean anything when you are out of warranty replacing them every year. Here's to hoping they will finally get it figured out by the time that happens!
      01-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep

Not sure of your color preference, but here you go. Even after you ship it to where you live, you're under 30k and in a 09

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...2-1dc637c26a62
      01-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

dct dual clutch transmission 2011 up also make sure if u get 08 09 the fuel pumps been checked out other wise no issues my best friend had a 08 he put 40 thousand in his 36k lease never had a single issue and drove it pretty hard.
      01-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

try 2011 w/ DCT, you won't be disappointed! this little RWD is a lot more fun than most ppl would expect.
      01-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiarel View Post
Well, mine is a 2000 so I am mostly going for something newer. Any other vehicle suggestions? I also like that i could do a few upgrades and would be able to add a bit of power. I also like the feel of the suspension (not too stiff, not soo soft, juuuust right for a DD)
Well if you need a back seat, an infinity g37 might suit you. The engine's got some problems with oil though (You have to use ester oil). If you don't need the back seat, then you could go with a 370z...same problem with the engine. Those cars are not very mod friendly though because they are NA.

IMO nowhere in the same league, but if you wanted rwd and a turbo you could look at the 2.0 Track model of the Hyundai Genesis. I somehow don't think you would like it though.

You could wait to see what toyota/subaru does with the FJ concept, but I have a feeling that it's going to be a little underpowered compared to our cars.

If you want to have some modding fun, and you don't care much about handling, get yourself a Mustang cobra from 2003-2005. Swapping the supercharger can net you crazy amounts of power...but it drinks gas like a V8, and it only wants to go straight.
      01-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
Einser BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiarel View Post
I surely know you won't be disappointed.

For you final decision please consider they difference between the N54 and N55 models. And def test drive a 6MT, and if you can find one: pick one that has a fresh HPFP and new injestors, then you'll feel the whole beauty of the the twin turbo N54... and will fall for it. Even if stock. And I know the mod geniuses here can provide you with a ton of further advise.

And you are right, the suspension is sweet for a DD: I vanquished 38K last year and can't complain. Surely it can go much sweeter thou when you want to do them curves. Hope you feel happy soon.
      01-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i have dct i love 6spd but dct is is sick bro for city driving less work =)
      02-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
blackbim14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 black bmw 135i coupe

I don't think you will be dissappointed coming from a 2000 year model audi even if it is an S4. It all depends on what you are looking for and your expectations whether you will be disappointed. I don't understand why people buy a car and then complain about its performance (did you not test drive the car first?). I test drove the 2011 S4/S5 and thought they were great vehicles but I could not justify an extra 15K in cost. compared to others in its price range of 35-40K, the 135i is just as fast in a straight line. great low end torque makes for a fun drive. I feel it has one of the best manual shifters and steering feel of any car I've driven. The aesthetics and interior feels high quality and a definite upgrade over other "comparable cars". In my eyes the only major drawback is the lack of lsd and a somewhat soft suspension. These things are modable though if desired and the engine is easily tuned. Again these "drawbacks" only pertain to a very small percentage of drivers, even in this forum. If you want a raw driving machine then go ahead and get an EVO, they are great cars and was a blast to test drive. if you want a more mature car that does most things well and is still alot of fun then you should be happy with the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #16
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Well I came from S4 b5 2000 also, and you are right 135i feels like it's not that aggressive like Audi but I think its just the feeling of smoothness of inline six in BMW, when you look at the speedo it goes up really fast. Of course you will miss some traction in the beginning but you will like better weight center of the car and much less understeer because of Audi's heavy front. 135i I think it has one more problem very bouncy ride because of run flats, but after I installed winter tires R17 all looks ok (so I think it's problem of run flats), just maybe car became a bit to soft but BMW performance suspension should fix that problem. Better MPG on BMW because of new gen engine. And after all Procede V5 instalation will take you to level of RS4. Good luck

Last edited by RimasRS; 02-01-2011 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #17
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

If you like BMW service centre waiting rooms, buy as fast as you can.

If you don't, don't
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
As far as the 1 series goes, only 2011 135i's have the DCT. DCT's can be found in lots of other cars as well, but yeah 2011 is the magic year for them with the 135i.

So the 08 you drove had the same auto I have, the ZF. Did you drive in drive (straight down) or did you drive in sport (down, then left)? it may make the difference you need/want.

You can probably do better than 08 for 30k. I paid not much more than that and got my 2010 with only 4xxx miles on it.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend a 2010. I would recommend a 2009, simply because BMW decided to "decontent" the car on a few things. If you ever plan to listen to the radio, then don't get the 2010. It has a horrible radio with no tweeters at all. The earlier than 2010 cars have a much better setup.

One thing that you do owe it to yourself is to google "135i HPFP" because as much as I love my car, they eat fuel pumps for breakfast. BMW has extended warranty's on most years (again, not on 2010...or so I know) but a great warranty doesn't mean anything when you are out of warranty replacing them every year. Here's to hoping they will finally get it figured out by the time that happens!
I did put it down and left to use the paddle shifters. It was fun but the feeling of always being in a gear and no neutral just didn't feel as smooth as it could have.

I did read a little about the fuel pumps. Is this something that is definitely a problem? Will it just happen one day and I won't be able to drive? Or is it something I will notice but still be able to get to work and then fix it the next day?

Thanks for the help, I'm glad the community is similar to the S4. Surprisingly, they are agreeing with me on converting to a newer 135i. I thought they were going to hang me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
If you like BMW service centre waiting rooms, buy as fast as you can.

If you don't, don't
U trying to scare me? U succeeded.

I was just getting into doing all the work on my s4. Are these cars easy to find DIY's for things as simple as the fuel pump? Are routine maintenance like oil changes, brakes, etc easy to do yourself? I've never had a car with any warranty. Is it stupid to do the work yourself?

The ONE thing I don't want is a car that will cause problems for me getting to work every day 30 miles away. Is this the wrong car for me? Or is it as easy as a new fuel pump and injectors as soon as I purchase one?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
Wilks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

I recently got a 08 135 convertible with automatic and only 8K miles - came off a VW GLI with manual and GIAC flash and an A6 prior. Firstly, my car hadn't been even in for service so when I called up the dealer they took it in and put new HPFP, injectors, tail lights and third brake light lens plus seat belt tensioners for free (recalls). So I wouldn't worry about what the car has or hasn't had done since if it hasn't it can and will be done. As for the driveability I have the paddles but rarely use them - I keep the car in DS though - I do miss a clutch - I grew up in England and always drove manuals - know how to double de-clutch and left foot brake....but sometimes it's nice to have an auto in heavy traffic. Handling is pretty good. Haven't tracked it but have taken some tight bends and exit ramps very hard and it is very competent - I think quattro is the best AWD system - and you'll miss it. A must is winter tires if you get any snow. The engine is awesome stock and you can get a reflash by GIAC - who I think rule. You should be able to find a coupe (note Americans it's pronounced coo pey - a coop is where you keep chickens) for $25 or $26K with low mileage. Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

So on the Audi forum them are people saying I will have just as many problems with this car, BMW means break my wallet, etc.

I like this car a lot and don't want this to push me away from it, but the bottom line is that I have a job I need to get to every day to make average pay. I will tell you for the sake of helping me make the responsible decision I make around 55k. I am wondering what you guys think about the cost of maintenance/ insurance/ others for my budget.

Keep in mind this car is also more than transportation to me. I love to drive and would spend more than the normal person to love my car but not an insane amount that I can't afford. And I do like to work on my car but not if if NEEDS to be fixed all the time in a draining way to make it not worth the headache of "what will go wrong next".

Please, honest, unbiased opinions only...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
Wilks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

get a CPO or in warranty car..servicing etc. is free..if you're single without a family fair enough...but personally I wouldn't want to buy a car that was worth over 50% of my gross earnings...but to each their own and no offense meant.

Appreciate 0