BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #23
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Just to add to this: I also had the malfunctioning corner light warning. I ended up buying a set of Sylvania Silverstar (Osram in Canada) bulbs. These are identical to the genuine parts aside from a slight improvement in light output and tinted blue glass. Made in Germany by Osram. The stocks are osram white standard bulbs.

Getting access to the bulbs is a bit tricky.

Step 1: Pry gently on the top cover. Being careful not to break the plastic tab link.

Step 2: Push the cover away from its current position by about a half inch or so.

Step 3: Remove the rubber weather strip above the light. Set it to the side and pry up on one side of the weather strip mounting plastic. There are two tabs to release the strip at each end. Take your time and be careful as the plastic is brittle and does not flex very well. Remove the weather strip mounting plastic by sliding it forwards.

Step 4: Now that the weather strip mounting plastic rail is out of the way, slide the bulb cover door forwards and up on an angle. It will come out on a funny angle.

Step 5: Twist the white plastic bulb holder gently counter clockwise a quarter turn. It will lift out on a very tight angle.

Step 6: Gently press the bulb housing and slide out the old bulb and disconnect/replace.

When reinstalling you will need to place the bulb door back in the same half inch open position first, then re clip the weather strip plastic mount.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #24
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Added my own video. I didn't need to remove the weather stripping.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #25
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

hey OP,

thanks for making this thread! it saved me today, i also had the right side cornering light malfunction show up and followed your video instructions.

so far so good!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #26
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-SPORT

I too also have this issue for left cornering light malfunction so you replaced bulb #12? Is all good now?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:43 AM   #27
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveitsmikey View Post
I too also have this issue for left cornering light malfunction so you replaced bulb #12? Is all good now?
Not sure what bulb #12 is. Can’t remember the diagram but it is definitely an H3 bulb.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #28
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Quote:
Not sure what bulb #12 is. Can’t remember the diagram but it is definitely an H3 bulb.
H3 bulb for the corner light?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #29
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
the cornering light. it's the light closest to the kidney grill and doesn't really turn on unless:
1) you're in reverse
2) indicator is on to the left or right
3) steering wheel is cranked all the way to the left or right (only when headlight switch is in AUTO mode!)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
the cornering light. it's the light closest to the kidney grill and doesn't really turn on unless:
1) you're in reverse
2) indicator is on to the left or right
3) steering wheel is cranked all the way to the left or right
Ok have you replaced it and did your fault stop?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #31
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
so far so good! who knows if that was the problem... i looked at the bulb that i replaced and it looked fine. nothing seem like it was burnt.

if the problem arises again, it could be that my battery is still the original one from 2011. it could be that my battery isn't working at full capacity and maybe it would then make the on-board computer throw some weird signals??? i have no idea. lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #32
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
so far so good! who knows if that was the problem... i looked at the bulb that i replaced and it looked fine. nothing seem like it was burnt.

if the problem arises again, it could be that my battery is still the original one from 2011. it could be that my battery isn't working at full capacity and maybe it would then make the on-board computer throw some weird signals??? i have no idea. lol!
Ok im gonna cross my fingers and try this. Thanks for the prompt reply's! I'll keep posted
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #33
silverro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2011

information for a 2011 328Xi
1) Had the same issue that I have seen posted elsewhere. Message is for right cornering light, but vehicle status menu item indicated left was malfunctioning. I replaced both
2) Access to bulb is similar to pictures dandandan posted on 12-02-2017. But for the 2011, there are three screws that need to be removed to get access to the bulb; the bulb is held in by spring clips rather than what is shown in the photos; and to get to the spring clips there is a black wire that does not run to the bulb, that is in the way (pull out of clip with pliers; make sure it does not slip out of reach)

Worked fine with a pair of H3 lights from Amazon that cost under $5 each
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #34
Jrman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

I have CC ID 380. My left and sometimes my right cornering light work and sometimes they do not.

It appears to be intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #35
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Super old thread but I thought I would update some critical information for those who have been getting this error.

The H3 bulb sockets grounding corrode over time and even if you try cleaning the metal contacts, they'll start to short inside the corner light housing between the bulb and the socket. The ground lead is the part where the bulb sandwiches in place within the socket.

I finally bought two new sockets to see if this would finally put an end to these warnings and poor ground connection.

Happy to report, this is what solves the problem!

The new sockets look to be made of a more durable metal coating but that could just be the years of environmental heat cycling when you compare the old ones. Anyways the parts are around $40 each. Get two of them and replace both sides. They are an identical part #63117203308
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 07:53 AM   #36
ResinThirteen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
Super old thread but I thought I would update some critical information for those who have been getting this error.

The H3 bulb sockets grounding corrode over time and even if you try cleaning the metal contacts, they'll start to short inside the corner light housing between the bulb and the socket. The ground lead is the part where the bulb sandwiches in place within the socket.

I finally bought two new sockets to see if this would finally put an end to these warnings and poor ground connection.

Happy to report, this is what solves the problem!

The new sockets look to be made of a more durable metal coating but that could just be the years of environmental heat cycling when you compare the old ones. Anyways the parts are around $40 each. Get two of them and replace both sides. They are an identical part #63117203308
Dude! Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!

I've been searching non-stop and no one could find me the part number for this part! I called online places, I went to the dealer, nothing!!!

The problem in my 2009 is that the white plastic of the socket has become so brittle, it just breaks apart in your fingers when you try to rotate it. (Only the driver's side)

Anyway, thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 03:57 PM   #37
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Even with new sockets, sometimes the bulbs will develop oxidation spots where they make contact with ground plates. Incredible that this still persists even with new sockets but the good news it's wayy less frequent. Like once every 4 months and the fix is simple; take out the bulbs from the sockets, there will be slightly burnt and raised electrical contact points on the flat part of the H3 bulbs where they sandwich in the sockets. Simply chip the oxidized and raised parts off the bulb so that the ground contact on the bulb is flat again. A bit of steel wool to clean it up and it should be good as new. The error will clear after a few cycles on/off, driving etc.
Appreciate 0