BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
sonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 128i

Help with finalizing options

So, I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on buying the 1. Here's what I've decided:

128i Coupe
Montego Blue
6MT
Moonroof
Leatherette
Sport package
Convenience package
Cold weather package (w/ heated steering wheel)
Harmon Kardon sound
BMW Assist w/ bluetooth

That said, I'm really awful at decisiveness. So there are a few items on that list that I'm not 100% sure about, and I'd like some input.

128i vs 135i
It seems that the 128i is enough useful power for street driving. The 135i feels like overkill, might get me in trouble, and has somewhat unknown reliability concerns. On the other hand, it IS a ton of fun to drive. But really worth the extra ~$4k for a daily driver? Will I regret it, or eventually feel that the 128i isn't "enough" of an upgrade from my current WRX? Hm.

Leather vs Leatherette
I think I'm fine with leatherette because it's cheaper, wears better over time, and seems easier to maintain. And I like the Taupe + Montego Blue combo. Any really compelling reasons to pay extra for leather?

Convenience package
I added this mostly because I first added Xenons and Alarm, then said "bah what's another few $100". But I don't know if I really care that much about the alarm, or park distance control, or comfort access. Can anyone weigh in on those options? Are they worth it?

HK Sound
I'm pretty sure about getting the premium audio, but I do think the base system will still be a big upgrade from my WRX's (stock) sound system already, so I'm only about 95% sold on this :P

Thanks for any input!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Sounds like a pretty good build to me.

As for 128i vs. 135i, there are a million threads here that go into it, and I'm sure you've read some of them. Some folks would say that if you're having doubts now, then you should definitely go for the 135i. I would say that your decision to get a 128i sounds well reasoned, and that it's normal to go back and forth about options at this point. Color, engine size, etc.

I took delivery of my 128i a year ago this week. I still love it. I have modded - some suspension work, BMW Performance intake and exhaust, etc. - and IMO it has really brought out the best in the car and made it a little more raw. I took a trip to Portugal a couple of weeks ago, 6 hours each way, spending the vast majority of that time at ~100+ mph, and the car just felt like a beast the entire way. Pulled hard and felt like it wanted to go harder, screaming the entire way. Sure, a 135i would be even beastlier, but my point is that unless you're the type of guy to be constantly envious of others, or have inadequacy issues, you probably won't miss it. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate that some people are just power junkies, or that for many people the price difference between the two cars is inconsequential, or whatever. I'm definitely not saying there's no good reason to get a 135i. But I think most people who give the 128i a fair shake would agree that it is a satisfying and even powerful car in it's own rite.

Leather vs leatherette: not real experienced with the Boston Leather but have heard some complaints that it's not the highest quality. The leatherette, however, is very, very good for vinyl. It seems to be indestructible and requires little maintenance. I have a 2 year old, and between the leatherette and my rubber floor mats, I sleep easier. Of course, I would love to sit in my car and smell leather, and think that even worn leather can look pretty special, if well maintained - but $1450 was a deal breaker for me. YMMV. I bought through Military Sales and so didn't have access to very many cars to check out, but surely you're near a dealer and can closely inspect both. I would do so before you make up your mind.

Heated seats are a huge plus, especially given your location. They warm up super fast. The heated steering wheel is really nice, too - one of the few tangible advantages to ordering Sport instead of M-Sport (the money saved is nice too, of course).

Convenience Package I'm not sure on. Xenons are an absolute must for me. Very, very cool and functional. I guess an alarm might be nice, but also do they really help? who knows. Comfort access? A lot of people seem to swear by it, but it seems kind of gimmicky to me. Maybe if I had it I'd become a convert. And Park Distance Control seems like it might be really useful in a bigger car, but less important in a small car like the 1er. I guess it couldn't hurt though, as long as you don't mind the sensors on the rear bumper.

HK Sound? Can you get to a dealer to compare the two? If you envision yourself using the stereo a lot and aren't the type to delve into the world of aftermarket components, it's probably worth it, I would think. I think it's harder and more expensive to upgrade later. Plaus, Bluetooth seems like a useful feature. I kind of wish I had that, since I have the darn buttons on my steering wheel regardless.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know if you have any more questions.
      04-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
sonus
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the in-depth reply bob. It sounds like a lot of your reasoning matches up with mine. Glad to hear you like the leatherette. The leather smell is quite nice, but for $1450 I'll pass. And I can probably cut a few more dollars off if I replace Convenience with Xenons.

I definitely need to spend a little more time trying a few things at a dealer, like the sound system, if I can find both at one dealer. It'd also be cool to find one that was open past dark so I could try out the different light options and see if Xenons really are all they're cracked up to be. Seems like people love them, but I've never had a car with them before. Just got the brightest halogens I could find for my WRX.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Certainly don't feel like you have to rush if you can spend an extra week or two to reflect on your decision. But don't make yourself crazy with it - sometimes you end up just second guessing yourself to death.

When I ordered my car, I was dead-set on Crimson Red - before I had even settled on the 1er, my broad requirements were 1) European and 2) red, lol. Then when I saw pics of the 1er in Crimson I was totally sold. Sometime after I placed my order I decided that I wanted the M-Sport package - I just felt like I had to have that body kit. I called my CA and left a message. He returned my call and said no problem, but you need to choose another color - so I chose Le Mans Blue, also a good looking color IMO. Several days later we got an email from the factory saying that it was too late to make changes, and my car would be built according to the original order. Upon delivery, and to this day, I am SO glad my car ended up being optioned according to my initial instinct. I love the color of my car, it's way more important to me than a body kit would have been (although I think Le Mans and in fact all of the blues, even the very light Blue Water, look very good).

Anyway, the point of that long and boring story was that you can really over think this stuff sometimes, and end making the wrong decision. So do your research, but try not to obsess.

One more plug for xenons: they are awesome. Besides the white, even illumination, I love the adaptive feature, where they light up curves as you turn in to them. If you've ever had the experience of driving down a poorly-lit road at night, squinting and feeling as if you were barreling into the abyss, then I think you will appreciate them. If you have excellent night vision and have never experienced diminished confidence while driving at night, maybe you don't need them. I've heard some folks with halogens say that BMW makes very good ones, and I have no reason not to believe that. However, the xenons incorporate so much more technology, IMO, that it seems like a bit of a no brainer. They have the added bonus of looking better, even when off. I only wish I could've had the automatic high beams to go with them, but you have to buy Premium Pack for those.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 04-12-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
sonus
Private First Class
Rep

I do wish more of the options were available a la carte. Lumbar support would be nice, for instance, and maybe even be worth the power seats to have it, but it's not worth the price of the Premium Package. I also think the requirement of BMW Assist to go with HK sound is weird, though I'm now thinking that it would indeed be really nice to have bluetooth connectivity, and be able to talk hands-free without first putting on a headset, so I'll probably get that option anyways
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
All I will say is that buyers remorse is the worst feeling ever. When you're already spending this much money, you want the car to be everything you imagined with no cut corners.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
All I will say is that buyers remorse is the worst feeling ever. When you're already spending this much money, you want the car to be everything you imagined with no cut corners.
Well said!

Sonus - personally, I believe in getting the best style, power and feature options you can afford for the main reason that the car will be more attractive at re-sale. I had to have the 135i, the leather (for me the leatherette is fake leather - fabric is much more palatable - and it's the real deal or no deal for me) and the upgraded sound system. But very importantly, to each his own. Just take your time, figure what you really want and decide. Good luck and congratulations on getting to the point where you've decided on a 1-series. They are truly great cars.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
MAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i & 128 M Sport

Sonus, I just ordered a 128 M Sport. I think the 128 has plenty of power and is a lot of fun. The 135 is great and DSG an enticing option, but I don't need the extra HP in a daily driver and didn't want to spend the extra money. But I do love the 135's aero package so that's why I opted for the 128 M sport. Plus I like the look with the round fog lights that the 135 doesn't have.

I strongly suggest xenons. Have them in my current 3 series. I want the HK stereo but do not want the bluetooth option since it adds $750 to the car. Makes me mad that the two options are bundled. So I may not get HK. I will go to a dealer and listen to the stock stereo. I like the HK in my 3 series. I ordered leather (gray) because I like the 2 tone look with the black. But to me its not worth $1450. I may go with taupe leatherette and the HK stereo or leather and base stereo.

Post your final decision!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

You should factor in snow tires and wheels which will set you back another $1500.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
sonus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I would pass on CA since it is hijackable, but consider iDrive as the car was designed for it and it is much more than just navigation. Heated steering wheel is not available with Sport when i last looked.

The main difference between leather adn vinyl is leather breathes.
Heated steering wheel looks like it's unavailable with M Sport, but still there with regular Sport. Somehow they couldn't get the heating element into that M Steering wheel

I've heard the same about leather breathing better, but I just hate how it looks after a few years, all stretched in the well-used areas like the driver's seat. It seems that maintaining it can keep it from cracking and such, but that nothing does much to help the stretching. And really, it seems that on a hot day, nothing's gonna prevent that sweaty back, except maybe vented cloth seats :P

iDrive is very pricey and I have a Garmin that's served me well. I do like the look of the nav features, and I do agree that it seems like it's way more than just nav, but I honestly can't see myself using it a whole lot.

Are there any posts from people who've had CA hijacked? That's kinda scary. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
You should factor in snow tires and wheels which will set you back another $1500.
Considered. I think I found a good deal locally though
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Isn't the leather coated with some sort of synthetic anyway? Wouldn't that affect it's breathability?
      04-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Are you buying or leasing?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
sonus
Private First Class
Rep

I'm buying. Well, already ordered, actually Still don't have a production number yet, though...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

i hope you got the 135i......so much nicer than the 128 IMO....money was a BIG factor when i was buying so i went with a a fully loaded 09 135i with 9,000 miles ..like new...from a BMW Corporate Auction for 17 grand less than buying new ...i added the CPO to it for peace of mind and just love the car...I have been upgrading most of my performance cars for extra power and why not start with an extra 50+ with the 135i over the 128...Hey i also have the JB4 for more boost....i no i only use the extra hp a few times daily but what a blast it is!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have the extra power you do not have to use it, but it's nice knowing you have it....
      08-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
02m3smg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, '87 325is, '08 328i

what do I really lose if I Omit the SAT NAV?

other than the normal navigation... what else would i not have? I know you can see tire pressures on the sat screen and that is kida cool but what other cool things would i miss without the NAV?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i CSM

HK is the favorite option aside from MSport (for rims and seats) that I put on my car.
It's fantastic.
If you haven't heard it, go to a dealer and mess with the settings- you will be happy.
My buddy has a WRX and HK system completely blows his system out of the water - not a comparison.
I assume he has a base system though so I don't know if Subaru offers an upgrade or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I won't push you to change the build. For regular, and spirited driving, the 128 does just fine, with a MT.

Sometimes, I read the posts of those who have bought a 135, and then did a tune, and I ask myself, "why?"

I could have done all of that, but I'd rather pay it off early, than do all of that. But then, I'm an "old guy."

The payoff check cleared, so, it's all mine! Two years early.

I do have leather, though I keep hearing that BMW's 'ette is good stuff.

Just get a bottle of 303 Protectant, and your seats will be good to go.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
byebyemyti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318ti, 128 convertible

the HK sound system is pretty awesome. I spent a lot of time listening to the base system in comparison and definitely getting the HK myself. Some base systems sounded terrible (could have been that they were not adjusted at all). The 2012 system I listened to on a test drive was pretty decent but doesn't compare to HK. That's the only option that is a must for me.
Appreciate 0