BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

08-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #89
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Additionally, I estimate that, since you're still in school, I've got probably a decade of additional driving experience in comparison to you. I've also owned about a dozen cars. Experience isn't told to you by your father or uncle, nor is it found in a text book. Ask Paulina Gretzky how her slap shot is...
So? My mother has about two decades of driving experience on you. How does that make a difference?

Im currently prepping an E30 for amateur rally - ive attended the Bondurant school as well as the Team O'Neil rally school.

Have you done that? Probably not - but me doing that or you having 10 years experience on me doesnt make a difference in this sense. Im not going balls out all the time and im not going sideways (except in the winter )

So what difference does my car control experience make over yours?

Quote:
This is the most delusional thing you've written thus far. Not one person has said you did not buy your car for fun.
Stiggy boy said it. Sorry that line wasnt meant for you and I didnt make that clear.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #90
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I never wouldve guessed that my heavier car would be slightly out performed by a coupe.
That has been the whole point from the start.

Quote:
But I forget - everyone on this board is Aryton Senna. Despite the fact that ive spanked 135 coupes at autox in my lowly and shite vert.
And there are probably people in MR-2s who could spank your 135i in an AutoX. What's your point?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #91
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sorry you're apparently so disconnected from your vehicle that you can't detect that in every day driving.
Yeah. You got me. Guilty as charged.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #92
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The weight of a single passenger alone is noticeable before I leave my street. No track needed. The weight difference between the two is closer to having two average sized adults in the car with you. I'm sorry you're apparently so disconnected from your vehicle that you can't detect that in every day driving. BTW, I can hear my exhaust with my windows rolled up so don't come back with "hearing the sounds of the car" as bringing you more in tune with your car.
Why not?

Hearing everything working and actually feeling the speed rush around you is part of the fun of owning a vert.

And its why I and many other made the choice to buy one. Because it enhances our driving experience in day to day life.

As ive stated to exhaustion most of the extra weight is below your feet - way down in the bottom of the car and its location makes a much less detrimental difference than you guys love to bang on about.

Ye masses who complain to no end about a 30 pound sunroof at the top of your car - its the same concept but in reverse.

Like I said I own an E30 prepped for rally - its a coupe. And I probably wouldnt own a vert as a dedicated track car. Because of the reasons posted in this thread.

Nobody is delusional about any of this.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #93
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
So? My mother has about two decades of driving experience on you. How does that make a difference?

Im currently prepping an E30 for amateur rally - ive attended the Bondurant school as well as the Team O'Neil rally school.

Have you done that? Probably not - but me doing that or you having 10 years experience on me doesnt make a difference in this sense. Im not going balls out all the time and im not going sideways (except in the winter )

So what difference does my car control experience make over yours?
If it's so irrelevant, why did you bring it up? Again, I don't need to go balls out to notice a nearly 300lb weight difference. You may not pick up on it with an auto transmission, much like having the AC running, but I notice it immediately.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #94
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That has been the whole point from the start.

And there are probably people in MR-2s who could spank your 135i in an AutoX. What's your point?
That point has never been up for debate.

And thats not the discussion. Its vert vs coupe - my point was that its down to the driver.

Quote:
If it's so irrelevant, why did you bring it up? Again, I don't need to go balls out to notice a nearly 300lb weight difference. You may not pick up on it with an auto transmission, much like having the AC running, but I notice it immediately.

I bring it up because it shows that im passionate about driving - same as you.

Hell im probably more qualified to speak on this more than most people - I own a 1 series coupe in addition to the vert. Its an activeE so its heavier - boy it feels heavier.

But apart from uneven undulations - the verts obvious weakness - Id be hard pressed to notice much difference in chassis strength. Which is the thing up for debate at the moment.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #95
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Guys relax all we need is your opions on the two cars not heated arguments. 135i & 335 coupe were great cars and it's up to individual to decide which one to go with.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #96
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This conversation in person:

Coupe: Hey man, why did you get a vert?
Vert: It's just more fun to me. I just like it better.
Coupe: Cool.

This conversation on a car forum:

Coupe: Hey man, why did you get a vert?
Vert: The difference was so small. The weight means nothing in everyday driving. It brings me more in tune with my car because I can hear things happening and feel the wind.
Coupe: But it's heavier and less rigid.
Vert: Well not really because they reinforced the sides and put the extra weight below our feet which lowers the center of gravity which makes it better and you have no proof that it's less rigid but I have proof that it's just as rigid. The weight makes no difference in everyday driving. I know it's 275lbs but that means absolutely nothing in my day to day life and it shouldn't be noticeable to you either.
Coupe: Whoa...

Dude, BrokenVert, I've met you a couple of times. I like you and I know you're a nice dude. I also like that you like your vert. It's all good! I honestly don't care why you bought your car, just as you shouldn't care why I bought mine. The arguments always start when people try to justify and defend their reason for buying their iteration of the car which they feel is "better" than the other. This argument is lame and I genuinely don't care what any of you guys drive so whatever you get into in the morning, all that matters is that it makes YOU smile. Who cares if I think you're a night club owner or if you think I'm a sun-scared albino? It doesn't matter! Just enjoy it.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #97
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

If you want a vert, get a vert. If you want a coupe, get a coupe. Done.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #98
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Hey I wish it could on forums like that too.

But "I like it better" Is usually interpreted as im a gay hairstylist by these forums. Which I personally think is an insult to my sensibilities

Last edited by BrokenVert; 08-02-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #99
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Hey I wish it could on forums like that too.

But "I like it better" Is usually interpreted as im a gay hairstylist by these forums.
I own a tiny little "pit bull" and have had people walk to the other side of the street when they see us walking. Stigmas usually exist for a reason and, although they might be largely false, there is usually some element of truth, no matter how small, that perpetuates that perception. You had to know going into it that you would catch some good ribbing, just as I knew I would when I got my dog. It comes with the territory and you'll drive yourself nuts if you make it your personal crusade to try to change it.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #100
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I own a tiny little "pit bull" and have had people walk to the other side of the street when they see us walking. Stigmas usually exist for a reason and, although they might be largely false, there is usually some element of truth, no matter how small, that perpetuates that perception. You had to know going into it that you would catch some good ribbing, just as I knew I would when I got my dog. It comes with the territory and you'll drive yourself nuts if you make it your personal crusade to try to change it.

I just really hate ignorance...

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #101
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
My car doesnt have DCT and you specifically said your car ill scan the brochure tonight when I get home if you want. But it clearly says 3660 man/3670 vert - and you arent going to notice 10 pounds in the transmission tunnel on a street car.

Also no - I dont have a 128 with a step.
I'm going to guess you failed the reading comprehension section of the SAT. I was explaining, in pretty clear terms, that because the 135i auto wasn't offered anymore, I had to compile the numbers using the auto from the 128i. Furthermore, I was saying that since the 135i Coupe got lighter from the 2008 to 2009, I really doubt yours is lighter than the 2012.

And I really doubt that when the weight difference is 70-80 lbs from manual to auto on every other 1er, yours is only 10 lbs.

Quote:
You stated in no uncertain terms that the 1er vert's figure was
5900 lbs/degree.
How did you come to that number if you didnt have an E82 to base it off of?

So ill ask again where did you get 5900 from? And why did you try to toss it out as fact?

Let alone the fallacy of assuming from a trend where half the data is skewed by older designs/super cars.
It was a ball park figure that assumed improvements had been made since the E46. I put it on the low side because I wanted to give your hand flexing abilities the benefit of the doubt.

And assuming a trend from super cars? Lets look at what I listed again:

BMW Z4 Coupe, 32,000Nm/degree
BMW Z4 Roadster: 14,500 Nm/deg

Ford Mustang 2003 16,000 Nm/deg
Ford Mustang Convertible (2003) 4,800 Nm/deg

Ford Mustang 2005 21,000 Nm/deg
Ford Mustang Convertible (2005) 9,500 Nm/deg

Porsche 911 Turbo 996: 27,000 Nm/deg
Porsche 911 Turbo 996 Convertible: 11,600 Nm/deg

Aston Martin DB9 Coupe 27,000 Nm/deg
Aston Martin DB9 Convertible 15,500 Nm/deg

Nothing there is a super car. The Turbo might get the closest, but as anyone who knows anything about Porsches knows, that's the old man max speed machine.

But yes, the 1er, which was released in 2004, must be wildly different than other cars from that era.

Quote:

I just really hate ignorance...
And you live with yourself how?

Last edited by TheSt|G; 08-02-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #102
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

5 points isnt enough to make an actual trend, considering that I, still in doubt as to whether these numbers are actually substantiated.

I cant imagine the 1er to be too far off of this, but do you actually understand what any of these numbers mean besides more stiff = better?

And nice insult - im trying to have a civil discussion with you. Keep it tidy please.

The weight information is available everywhere. I preceeded to give you the weights of my car that ive confirmed from a reliable source (BMW promotional material)

So why are you calling me ignorant?

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #103
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
You own an automatic convertible that happens to have a bit of power. Nothing about that combo inspires confidence in your ability to feel a car.

If you can do that with your hand, you need to find a job as a pro body builder.

If you can't feel the difference, that's fine and dandy. But don't group the rest of us into your numbness.
Quote:
I'm going to guess you failed the reading comprehension section of the SAT.

And you live with yourself how?
Come on dude, this forum is bad enough without you popping in here with insults and rudeness.
Attached Images

08-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #104
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

My only regret is not leaving this forum after the merger

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #105
WPG D33Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert Cobb Stage2

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #106
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

For the rest of you, there is no convertible hate here. Just a push to recognize reality.

Quote:
But I forget - everyone on this board is Aryton Senna. Despite the fact that ive spanked 135 coupes at autox in my lowly and shite vert.
Forgot to address this meaningless data point.

First time I was out on the track I borrowed someone else's 330xi in auto(my E36 M3 was down because the infamous oil pump nut went). I wiped the floor with the Corvettes in my run group. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. In low tier green run groups or autox in general, the car isn't a factor.
      08-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #107
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to address this meaningless data point.

First time I was out on the track I borrowed someone else's 330xi in auto(my E36 M3 was down because the infamous oil pump nut went). I wiped the floor with the Corvettes in my run group. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. In low tier green run groups or autox in general, the car isn't a factor.
So what youre saying is that its up to the driver.
Its not meaningless - driver skill is just as important as the limits of the car.
And yes the car is a factor in autox - because its style of racing that brings out the worse in the vert. Its tight and technical.
Its the type of racing where a heavy and noddly vert would have issues keeping up with coupes.

And yet even there the performance difference isnt enough to stop a decent driver from taking out 135 coupe competition.

And thats the point right there - the limits of the two chassis are so close its meaningless when driver skill is taken into account.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #108
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And thats the point right there - the limits of the two chassis are so close its meaningless when driver skill is taken into account.
Nope, you can stop patting yourself on the back here. At that low tier of motorsport(green groups and local autox) it is purely an indicator of how ballsy you are, not that you are some variety of natural racing prodigy.
      08-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #109
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, you can stop patting yourself on the back here. At that low tier of motorsport(green groups and local autox) it is purely an indicator of how ballsy you are, not that you are some variety of natural racing prodigy.
Im not bragging. And that line coming from someone whose forum handle is "The Stig"

And not really - you havent seen the people that autox in the New York area. There are some crazy people here.

So youre just going to try and shut me down on everything, huh? Gotta love people from Philly.

Last edited by BrokenVert; 08-02-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #110
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

But lets get off this topic because im bored of it/weve burned 3 pages on this nonsense.

So lets move onto new nonsense because this thread is clearly dead

Stiggyboy Philly Prude Man - why do you regret your convertible?

If the answer is you dont own one and had nothing to add to the conversation besides assumptions then why are you here in the first place?

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread