Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
2. Car pulls left and right depending on road condition
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
My car also goes side to side like you described by I just thought it was tram lining...following the path of sunken road on the crappier roads.
Steering rack damaged and road stability issues on good roads: not excluded that your 1M encountered an issue with a serious pothole or curb in the past, or got involved in an accident impacting one of the wheels. Has your car already been taken to the track ? Did you ask the previous owner about it ? Did your car always have the same tires/alloys ? What's the current status of the tires ? Wheel alignment would be a good start in your quest to sort things out.

Your car has 26K kms clocked on the odometer: if it still features the original PS2 tires and the rear tires still have no significant tire wear, then quite likely all 26K kms have not been driven with that original set of tires (track tires ? winter tires ?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Really.... no one has time to check this out for me?
Please understand: no-one over here has examined your car, so we can't make sound statements about it. We have to guess, actually, so could be wrong. However - frankly speaking - the list of items already replaced/modified on your car plus your current issues might raise the question whether your car was absolutely in a pristine state when you bought it second hand. Too bad (or luckily ?) cars don't speak and a seller's memory sometimes happens to be a little 'selective', but it ain't excluded that your car has taken quite a beating in the past. Are you sure that you car wasn't a demo car in its previous life ? Was the purchase-price lower than usual ? We don't know - but you might be able to do a search on your car's past.

If you buy a low mileage sports car, you normally inquire about possible previous accidents. But actually, the first technical question you should ask to run a check about its past, is whether the clutch has already been replaced. If the dealer confirms that that's the case, then the car has sustained 'a hard youth', and its life-span/longevity might be shorter than usual (resulting from heavy duty wear 'n tear).

In the meantime: good luck in remedying the issues.
      07-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #24
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Steering rack damaged and road stability issues on good roads: not excluded that your 1M encountered an issue with a serious pothole or curb in the past, or got involved in an accident impacting one of the wheels. Has your car already been taken to the track ? Did you ask the previous owner about it ? Did your car always have the same tires/alloys ? What's the current status of the tires ? Wheel alignment would be a good start in your quest to sort things out.

Your car has 26K kms clocked on the odometer: if it still features the original PS2 tires and the rear tires still have no significant tire wear, then quite likely all 26K kms have not been driven with that original set of tires (track tires ? winter tires ?).

Please understand: no-one over here has examined your car, so we can't make sound statements about it. We have to guess, actually, so could be wrong. However - frankly speaking - the list of items already replaced/modified on your car plus your current issues might raise the question whether your car was absolutely in a pristine state when you bought it second hand. Too bad (or luckily ?) cars don't speak and a seller's memory sometimes happens to be a little 'selective', but it ain't excluded that your car has taken quite a beating in the past. Are you sure that you car wasn't a demo car in its previous life ? Was the purchase-price lower than usual ? We don't know - but you might be able to do a search on your car's past.

If you buy a low mileage sports car, you normally inquire about possible previous accidents. But actually, the first technical question you should ask to run a check about its past, is whether the clutch has already been replaced. If the dealer confirms that that's the case, then the car has sustained 'a hard youth', and its life-span/longevity might be shorter than usual (resulting from heavy duty wear 'n tear).

In the meantime: good luck in remedying the issues.
Issue resolved with a replacement of the rack in addition to an alignment.

I am the original owner of the vehicle and when delivered it had 1.7km on the dash board.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

In a separate note. I previously requested from the other 1m owners if they would be able to replicate the clunking sound that I was experiencing... however no one was able to get back to me regarding this noise.

I took a few moments to speak to my neighbour, who also has a 1m, and noted that while stationary his vehicle also clunks left-to-right when shaking the steering wheel as posted in the video at the beginning of the thread.

Apparently the steering noise is a normal part of the vehicles designed based on my car and my neighbours.
Appreciate 0