07-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
the reactions triggered by the 1M are so interesting. Firstly let me just say that I bought my 1M for ME....not to impress anybody or for show-off stuff.....I bought it because it makes me happy!

In real life people who know nothing about cars seem to love the madness of it without even knowing what it is. Maybe it's the bulging fenders or the toy-like proportions or the small stature. I get a big reaction out of people who normally wouldn't even comment on Automobiles. I find it interesting that nobody referred to my 135is as a "sports car" but everybody I know refers to my 1M as a "sports car".....just by looks I suppose? these are people who do NOT understand the details or the reasons why the 1M is special.

Then you have the "enthusiasts". Some of them are too competitive and feel the need to negate the 1M; e.g. E9X M3 owners, M235 owners (LOL). But for the most part most of the people I see who are into cars really respect the 1M for what it is-----a last hurrah from BMW before they went all techie and electronic. A throwback to the 2002 Turbo and the E30 M3. Most of them are fascinated by car far more than they normally would be of a BMW M car. The people I know into Audis never really respected my 135is but are now all of a sudden so impressed by the 1M. Weird as they are different evolutions of a similar idea IMO.

the amount of attention I get on my 120 mile a day commute through NYC can be slightly uncomfortable at times----but I'm getting used to it. The majority of the time it is staring, pointing, and offering nods of approval, honking, or thumbs up which is nice but weird! LOL. The other added benefit I've noticed is that people are afraid to tailgate the 1M probably because of it's insane looking rear end view!!! haha! it is an added benefit I never thought would happen....but it has. I thought the 1M would attract some attention in Orange....but I didn't expect such an obvious reaction everywhere I go.....

it's hard to define what the 1M is. It's a $50k car which causes reactions like it's a supercar sometimes.....so so strange!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

It's probably your hairdo, mate

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
It's probably your hairdo, mate

Cheers
Robin
LOL. you're probably right!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

IMHO forum fellow Dee_Pee gave the most likely answer to your question (in a write-up in 2013 at the occasion of the release of the 1M diecast model of Matchbox):
BMW 1M appeal: a subtle reminder to childhood days
http://lamleydlm.blogspot.be/2013/10...described.html
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=15454065
----------------------------------
What if a group of BMW’s famed M engineers went rogue? What if they took parts at the end of their product cycle and unbeknownst to the bean-counters, cobbled together a true enthusiast’s car during summer break? What if they code-named it Project Pyrat, after their favorite libation? What if the outgoing head of the M Division, Dr. Kay Segler, was so moved by the prototype that his usual German resolve cracked, he shed a tear, and in a choking voice said “We have to build this car.”? What if the car became an instant hit, praised by the most jaded critics and fiercely loved by each lucky owner? What if there weren’t enough cars to go around?
I am one of the lucky 740 Americans that got a 1M and I am grateful for that fact every time I drive it. My relationship with the car was very tentative at first. It wasn’t my first choice even after Jeremy Clarkson lauded the car and interest (and the expected price gouging) began to spike. However, placing my name at the top of list was how my retiring sales rep wanted to conclude our relationship of 12 years. He pretty much insisted that I buy the car, selling me on the point that I could easily flip it for a profit if I didn’t like it. He said, “You want this car.”
He was right.
I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out why this car engenders such an immediate and visceral connection upon first sight. It wasn’t until I saw the new Matchbox version that I finally figured it out.
It speaks to our inner child.
Like most children of the 70’s, my childhood is inextricably tied to those amazing yellow boxes that my parents would bring home when they had some extra money. I loved the flared fenders, huge tires, power bulges, bright colors, and logic-defying shapes. Most importantly, when I held those cars in my hands, I felt a sense of ownership and invulnerability.
In our hands these small cars have the power to transport us far away. We are kids again--setting up impossible tracks that careen down high shelves, through the rubble and dunes of couch cushions and discarded schoolbooks, before speeding off to parts unknown. In our private moments we hold these cars in our hands and dream of a world where we take the wheel and scoff at the hazards of the Nordschliefe. Imola? Child’s play. Dakar Rally? Puh-leeze bro. We can hold a 9g lateral skid without a red-out and the quarter mile is achieved in the blink of an eye. Drifts are perfect and rearview mirrors are superfluous.
Owning a 1M is like owning your favorite Matchbox car. You feel like a kid again. You feel like anything is possible. There are no shortage of youtube video reviews on the car, but if you watch them you start to see that there is one common element in all of them. The reviewers are giggling like little kids. I have never seen a car that evokes such a universal sense of childlike whimsy and fun.
Recently, I found myself in the Matchbox section of the local toy store looking for MB#111. It was as elusive there as in real life. However, I found myself lingering.
And then digging through the pegs.
And then calculating how many sections of track I would need to build a circuit around my house.
A huge smile crept onto my face.
Thanks, Matchbox.
Name:  Matchbox.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  78.1 KB
      07-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Here in DC. You pretty much see all sorts of cars. M's, Ferrari, AMG's, Porches... you name it... truly awesome cars. But whenever i see one of the few 1M's in the area it just excites me way more than others ever have.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Thanks, Matchbox.
So true...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

As much as I absolutely bought this car for me as I got addicted to track days, but at the same time I love to improve the aesthetics of this world, my father was an architecture and always just wanted people to appreciate form. I'm the same way and I find the 'form' of the 1M is exciting, pleasant and fun.

Only car I've had that people in Passat and Honda's can't wait to talk about it. I've gotten to the point that I just say a quick thanks, but I think I should be more appreciative when they recognize a good form.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
What if a group of BMW’s famed M engineers went rogue? What if they took parts at the end of their product cycle and unbeknownst to the bean-counters, cobbled together a true enthusiast’s car during summer break? What if they code-named it Project Pyrat, after their favorite libation? What if the outgoing head of the M Division, Dr. Kay Segler, was so moved by the prototype that his usual German resolve cracked, he shed a tear, and in a choking voice said “We have to build this car.”? What if the car became an instant hit, praised by the most jaded critics and fiercely loved by each lucky owner? What if there weren’t enough cars to go around?
I am one of the lucky 740 Americans that got a 1M and I am grateful for that fact every time I drive it. My relationship with the car was very tentative at first. It wasn’t my first choice even after Jeremy Clarkson lauded the car and interest (and the expected price gouging) began to spike. However, placing my name at the top of list was how my retiring sales rep wanted to conclude our relationship of 12 years. He pretty much insisted that I buy the car, selling me on the point that I could easily flip it for a profit if I didn’t like it. He said, “You want this car.”
He was right.
I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out why this car engenders such an immediate and visceral connection upon first sight. It wasn’t until I saw the new Matchbox version that I finally figured it out.
Like most children of the 70’s, my childhood is inextricably tied to those amazing yellow boxes that my parents would bring home when they had some extra money. I loved the flared fenders, huge tires, power bulges, bright colors, and logic-defying shapes. Most importantly, when I held those cars in my hands, I felt a sense of ownership and invulnerability.
In our hands these small cars have the power to transport us far away. We are kids again--setting up impossible tracks that careen down high shelves, through the rubble and dunes of couch cushions and discarded schoolbooks, before speeding off to parts unknown. In our private moments we hold these cars in our hands and dream of a world where we take the wheel and scoff at the hazards of the Nordschliefe. Imola? Child’s play. Dakar Rally? Puh-leeze bro. We can hold a 9g lateral skid without a red-out and the quarter mile is achieved in the blink of an eye. Drifts are perfect and rearview mirrors are superfluous.
Owning a 1M is like owning your favorite Matchbox car. You feel like a kid again. You feel like anything is possible. There are no shortage of youtube video reviews on the car, but if you watch them you start to see that there is one common element in all of them. The reviewers are giggling like little kids. I have never seen a car that evokes such a universal sense of childlike whimsy and fun.
Recently, I found myself in the Matchbox section of the local toy store looking for MB#111. It was as elusive there as in real life. However, I found myself lingering.
And then digging through the pegs.
And then calculating how many sections of track I would need to build a circuit around my house.
A huge smile crept onto my face.
Thanks, Matchbox.
i often think of that writing...just sums up how the 1M makes me feel very well! like a kid!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
As much as I absolutely bought this car for me as I got addicted to track days, but at the same time I love to improve the aesthetics of this world, my father was an architecture and always just wanted people to appreciate form. I'm the same way and I find the 'form' of the 1M is exciting, pleasant and fun.

Only car I've had that people in Passat and Honda's can't wait to talk about it. I've gotten to the point that I just say a quick thanks, but I think I should be more appreciative when they recognize a good form.
maybe because i'm still a 'new owner'....i LOVE to talk to people about the car! Perhaps they think i'm nuts when they show so much excitement and i show the same amount of excitement! haha
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Only people I've ever seen who didn't have a positive reaction to the 1M are M3/M5/M6 owners... Not saying they all react like that but the only ones who don't like the 1M are invariably the guys with the bigger ///M cars... Everyone else loves it.
      07-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
In real life people who know nothing about cars seem to love the madness of it without even knowing what it is. Maybe it's the bulging fenders or the toy-like proportions or the small stature. I get a big reaction out of people who normally wouldn't even comment on Automobiles. I find it interesting that nobody referred to my 135is as a "sports car" but everybody I know refers to my 1M as a "sports car".....just by looks I suppose? these are people who do NOT understand the details or the reasons why the 1M is special.
I wonder why you get different reaction levels from "people who know nothing about cars" between your 135is and the 1M. I assume that people who aren't into cars wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two because they look very similar except for the bulging fenders like you mentioned, the more aggressive front and rear bumpers, the "M" badges and the 359 wheels with a wider track.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

I'm guessing, if it's l'orange, it draws people's attention to it rather easily.

I like the looks of the 1 series in all trims, body styles, and whatnot. In my opinion, it yells "a sporty-looking car" in most guises, but to a more awkward degree than I'd venture most people would think is possible. The coupe does have a special strangeness to its look that is, in my opinion, the result of a modern take on classic era sedans - Making it stand out from what's on the road commonly (height vs length, window proportions, etc.)

Adding the orange, and other loud colors, to the mix draws in the eyes of passer-byes, forcibly much of the time, and gives them a chance to notice the design's character, in ways good or bad or both. It has enough BMW design characteristics for most people to not take a second glance at one in a lease-car color, instead filing it away automatically as just more German beige. noticing a set of kidney grilles or the roundel for the millionth time usually makes this necessary... Noticing every bmw on the 101 or 405 is akin to noticing every individual blade of grass in a yard. I do this same thing when I spot the day's thousandth VW, Audi, f-150, what have you - I wouldn't be able to tell you the differences between Jettas and Passats any better than the majority of drivers could with a 328i and a 528i.

The design of the 1s also lends itself well to different colors, and those colors' ability to express various emotions or cause viewer reactions. For example, VO showing a little insanity in the M panels, or LMB turning the car into a beauty. With other BMWs, at least the ones over the better part of the last decade, there is a commonality shared by all models that kind of just makes most people see them as different sizes of the same thing the majority of the time. Hell, I would even say I think it's probably the best canvas for decal contrast pop on the glossy finishes than any modern Bimmer... For whatever that's worth. ****'s got multiple personalities, yo.

Which isn't to say there aren't some great new BMWs out there looking awesome... But it is saying such isn't the case 9 out of 10 times.

Eh. That should've been more concise, and coherent.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Only people I've ever seen who didn't have a positive reaction to the 1M are M3/M5/M6 owners... Not saying they all react like that but the only ones who don't like the 1M are invariably the guys with the bigger ///M cars... Everyone else loves it.
I've had some react with the thumbs up but for the most part you're right.

I had a good laugh when a member on another board was arguing it wasn't a "true" M car...he drives an X5 5.0 M sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I'm guessing, if it's l'orange, it draws people's attention to it rather easily.

I like the looks of the 1 series in all trims, body styles, and whatnot. In my opinion, it yells "a sporty-looking car" in most guises, but to a more awkward degree than I'd venture most people would think is possible. The coupe does have a special strangeness to its look that is, in my opinion, the result of a modern take on classic era sedans - Making it stand out from what's on the road commonly (height vs length, window proportions, etc.)

Adding the orange, and other loud colors, to the mix draws in the eyes of passer-byes, forcibly much of the time, and gives them a chance to notice the design's character, in ways good or bad or both. It has enough BMW design characteristics for most people to not take a second glance at one in a lease-car color, instead filing it away automatically as just more German beige. noticing a set of kidney grilles or the roundel for the millionth time usually makes this necessary... Noticing every bmw on the 101 or 405 is akin to noticing every individual blade of grass in a yard. I do this same thing when I spot the day's thousandth VW, Audi, f-150, what have you - I wouldn't be able to tell you the differences between Jettas and Passats any better than the majority of drivers could with a 328i and a 528i.

The design of the 1s also lends itself well to different colors, and those colors' ability to express various emotions or cause viewer reactions. For example, VO showing a little insanity in the M panels, or LMB turning the car into a beauty. With other BMWs, at least the ones over the better part of the last decade, there is a commonality shared by all models that kind of just makes most people see them as different sizes of the same thing the majority of the time. Hell, I would even say I think it's probably the best canvas for decal contrast pop on the glossy finishes than any modern Bimmer... For whatever that's worth. ****'s got multiple personalities, yo.

Which isn't to say there aren't some great new BMWs out there looking awesome... But it is saying such isn't the case 9 out of 10 times.

Eh. That should've been more concise, and coherent.
orange is a part of it....but the quad exhaust...fat fenders....fat diffuser....front spoiler....19s. small things make a big difference.

i LOVE any E82 Coupe. I'm just a huge fan of the 1-series in general. 128, 135, 1M....i even dig the Convertibles. For me the 128 and 135 are really great "sport coupes" and the 1M looks more like a sports car.

Last edited by IEDEI; 07-12-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
I had a good laugh when a member on another board was arguing it wasn't a "true" M car...he drives an X5 5.0 M sport.
I found a discussion where the topic was the X6 deserves to be an M "car" but not the one series, because it would "cheapen" the brand. Having grown up looking up to M e30,e36, i just couldn't wrap my head around why someone would ever think a hot rod truck is more BMW than a 1M.
      07-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Attachment 1057262
Yeah, I tried to claim my inner child as a dependent on my tax return. Didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Honestly, I don't know any other recent M car that is more different looking/apart than the general series that it is based on, than the 1M. It is just a look apart, especially so with VO. Since 3 years I am trying to point and explain to people (who are not BMW enthusiasts) things like 'this is the same coupe ...this is the cabrio version of my car' etc. Almost always people think and say that they have never seen a BMW like that, even if they have seen many 1s in different body styles.

Success formula of the 1M seems to me more or less the following:

1) Limit the production/availibility, we did not want to produce/offer this car anyway, just happened!
2) Make it look like different, to the point of cartoonish, because we will sell it to irrational buyers; you will need that form anyway in order to be able to integrate the bottom half of a bigger car
3) Borrow and fine-tune every essential part from other (and almost always bigger/heavier/more expensive) BMWs, including Ms...in a more affordable, lighter and smaller car.

Va la!

After all, chocolate soufflé is simply a cake with chocolate inside; but we all know it doesn't feel so
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Had a cop pull me over and ask "what kind of BMW you have here?" exact words, then said he never seen the color "vo" in any BMW before, and let me go with a warning.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #18
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Honestly, I don't know any other recent M car that is more different looking/apart than the general series that it is based on, than the 1M. It is just a look apart, especially so with VO. Since 3 years I am trying to point and explain to people (who are not BMW enthusiasts) things like 'this is the same coupe ...this is the cabrio version of my car' etc. Almost always people think and say that they have never seen a BMW like that, even if they have seen many 1s in different body styles.

Success formula of the 1M seems to me more or less the following:

1) Limit the production/availibility, we did not want to produce/offer this car anyway, just happened!
2) Make it look like different, to the point of cartoonish, because we will sell it to irrational buyers; you will need that form anyway in order to be able to integrate the bottom half of a bigger car
3) Borrow and fine-tune every essential part from other (and almost always bigger/heavier/more expensive) BMWs, including Ms...in a more affordable, lighter and smaller car.

Va la!

After all, chocolate soufflé is simply a cake with chocolate inside; but we all know it doesn't feel so
totally agree. i don't see any M car which is as unique compared to its standard counterparts as this 1M is. It's part of why i couldn't shake it out of my system once it got in......it looks and feels so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
Had a cop pull me over and ask "what kind of BMW you have here?" exact words, then said he never seen the color "vo" in any BMW before, and let me go with a warning.
haha very nice!!! it's funny that my registration doesn't even designate a model here in NY. It just says "2011 BMW" as if they couldn't figure out what to call it!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
I wonder why you get different reaction levels from "people who know nothing about cars" between your 135is and the 1M. I assume that people who aren't into cars wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two because they look very similar except for the bulging fenders like you mentioned, the more aggressive front and rear bumpers, the "M" badges and the 359 wheels with a wider track.
It also SOUNDS different even stock and a lot of people notice that.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
I'll let IEDEI chime in on this one, but I'm guessing the sound of his 135is's exhaust riled up a lot more people, neighbors, and got more attention than the exhaust on his 1M. Also curious which has a better tunnel sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
I'll let IEDEI chime in on this one, but I'm guessing the sound of his 135is's exhaust riled up a lot more people, neighbors, and got more attention than the exhaust on his 1M. Also curious which has a better tunnel sound.
so after extensive driving now (have put 2k miles on the 1M since getting it) and after putting 18k miles on a 135is.

a) the 135is exhaust was definitely more 'enthusiastic'

b) the 1M has some popping/crackling but nowhere near the snorty crackling of the 135is

c) the 1M has a deeper, more resonant tone which is not outwardly more loud but sounds significantly deeper.

d) through tunnels the 135is had a more chaotic, screaming, and treble shifting shriek while the 1M sounds like a muted race car.

all in all I really loved the sound of the 135is....but also love the more reserved deep tones of the 1M. I am thinking about changing to the N55 midpipes which seems by all accounts to really open up the stock 1M exhaust.

Either way....I definitely think the 135is is a fantastic sounding car.

i feel like the 1M's sound resonates more through the cabin though....is there less insulation in the 1M?

Last edited by IEDEI; 07-13-2014 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:48 AM   #22
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

I happen to love how the 1M sounds stock, I love how it yelps and how it never sounds like it's trying.

The first thing I thought of when I drove my first E92 M3 was that it sounds like it's going faster than it is, it just screamed, but didn't feel like it was going that fast.

The 1M is the opposite for me, it howls passively yet smacks you in the face with a punch. Love that, never sounds like it's stressed.
Appreciate 0