BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Lightbulb Need Help: Bilstein B12 vs. Koni Yellow vs. Koni FSD

Guys, I'm thinking to buy one of those for my 2011 E82 135i but I don't really know what's the different between those 3. Basically I will pair any of those with Eibach pro-kit that lowers the car just okay, not really low but worth the look. Which one is the most comfortable one compared to others? Just for information, I live in an area where the road is not really good at all, cracks, etc. By the way, it will be on my car pair with 18" wheels, summer tires.

For performance wise, I don't really mind as long as its better than our stock. From koni website I found out that FSD is performance damper while yellow is performance-tuning damper but it seems confusing between those two categories, almost the same to me.

Comments and thoughts are highly appreciated guys. Recommended setup is always welcome . Thank you guys!
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Metalbeast
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 X5 4.8i

interested in the conversation
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

I think you mean B6 (the Bilstein HDs). IIRC, the B12's are part of a spring/strut/shock package.

There's a thread on it on this very page:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857633

Not a ton of info, as not many people have run these shocks with stock springs, at least not the Bilsteins.

FSD's will ride softer than the Yellows, but will apparently firm up in hard cornering, etc. Might be odd having a rate taht's ever changing like that. Apparently some people like it, some people don't.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I think you mean B6 (the Bilstein HDs). IIRC, the B12's are part of a spring/strut/shock package.

There's a thread on it on this very page:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857633

Not a ton of info, as not many people have run these shocks with stock springs, at least not the Bilsteins.

FSD's will ride softer than the Yellows, but will apparently firm up in hard cornering, etc. Might be odd having a rate taht's ever changing like that. Apparently some people like it, some people don't.
Useful information sir! I think I'm trying to stay Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit, is that what do you mean by spring/shock package? Thanks
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Useful information sir! I think I'm trying to stay Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit, is that what do you mean by spring/shock package? Thanks
Yes. But you should be comparing apples to apples then. The Koni yellows and FSDs are struts/shocks, no springs.

So if you're considering the B12 Kit, why aren't you considering yellows or FSDs plus a set of springs?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex
Quote:
Yes. But you should be comparing apples to apples then. The Koni yellows and FSDs are struts/shocks, no springs.

So if you're considering the B12 Kit, why aren't you considering yellows or FSDs plus a set of springs?
Hmm, try to read my first post one more time. I did mention I will pair any of those with Eibach Pro-Kit, so am I comparing apples to apples now? That's why I confuse when you ask me about the Bilstein B12 pro kit
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
How about tckline coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss
Quote:
How about tckline coilovers.
Coilover is simply too much for me. Looking for under $1K anyway. Thanks though
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, try to read my first post one more time. I did mention I will pair any of those with Eibach Pro-Kit, so am I comparing apples to apples now? That's why I confuse when you ask me about the Bilstein B12 pro kit
Got ya! Missed that. So essentially, you're wanting to compare Bilstein HD (or sport) shocks vs. Yellows, vs. FSDs, with Eibach springs.

I'd do a search to see what shocks people have been liking with their pro-kit springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex
Quote:
Got ya! Missed that. So essentially, you're wanting to compare Bilstein HD (or sport) shocks vs. Yellows, vs. FSDs, with Eibach springs.

I'd do a search to see what shocks people have been liking with their pro-kit springs.
Yeah, you got it man! I don't know how it feels in real driving condition but some said Bilstein is the stiffest and then yellow comes next and the softest will be FSD. For the performance side, many people considered yellow better than bilstein but I don't know the specific reason and FSD is more for someone looking for something comfortable but sacrificing performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

Koni yellows can be adjusted so I m pretty sure they are stiffer than HDs. I have the Dinan Koni yellows with Dinan springs and I like my setup very much. Much better than stock. I believe Koni FSDs are meant to be paired with stock springs
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkarot View Post
Koni yellows can be adjusted so I m pretty sure they are stiffer than HDs. I have the Dinan Koni yellows with Dinan springs and I like my setup very much. Much better than stock. I believe Koni FSDs are meant to be paired with stock springs
So far I got an idea about what Koni FSD really is and most people said it's the softest one try Koni yellow if I used lowering spring. Which do you prefer in terms of longevity and performance-comfort, your Koni yellow or Bilstein (I know you might never try it)?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So far I got an idea about what Koni FSD really is and most people said it's the softest one try Koni yellow if I used lowering spring. Which do you prefer in terms of longevity and performance-comfort, your Koni yellow or Bilstein (I know you might never try it)?
Well, certainly in terms on longevity, the monotube Bilsteins are a hands-down winner.

I"m not up on the firmness of the Bilsteins vs. setting X-of the yellows, but the yellow on my M3 are better riding than stock on their softest setting. So I'd imagine these would be similar. That's on stock springs though.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I think you can get a set of ST coilovers for less than $1000. Check some of the vendors on this site. Drop might be more than you want though (I think min is ~1.4").
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Well, certainly in terms on longevity, the monotube Bilsteins are a hands-down winner.

I"m not up on the firmness of the Bilsteins vs. setting X-of the yellows, but the yellow on my M3 are better riding than stock on their softest setting. So I'd imagine these would be similar. That's on stock springs though.
Okay, so what's left will be Koni Yellow and Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit. Do you recommend me just drive my car as usual first once I got new wheels and ditch the run flat? After that if I still feel uncomfortable or bumpy feeling still there, I will either get Bilstein B12 pro-kit or Koni yellow. How do you rate better in your M3? Is it better in handle uneven road or what?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I think you can get a set of ST coilovers for less than $1000. Check some of the vendors on this site. Drop might be more than you want though (I think min is ~1.4").
I know but now I'm not into coilover. I do get few offers for around $1200 for KW V1 and Bilstein B14 PSS but again, I'm trying to get only damper set and probably with Eibach Pro-Kit. Thanks though. How do you compared before and after installing the ST?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I know but now I'm not into coilover. I do get few offers for around $1200 for KW V1 and Bilstein B14 PSS but again, I'm trying to get only damper set and probably with Eibach Pro-Kit. Thanks though. How do you compared before and after installing the ST?
Sorry, I don't have ST's. I've just seen them priced for less than $1000, which was your limit.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Sorry, I don't have ST's. I've just seen them priced for less than $1000, which was your limit.
My bad sir, I thought you're saying mine but it was minimum of 1.4. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
giOsaurus rEx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP

Koni Yellows + Eibach Pros feel stiffer than ST/KW V1 coilovers overall imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz135
Koni Yellows + Eibach Pros feel stiffer than ST/KW V1 coilovers overall imo.
What is your current setup? How's the performance of those two? Some said even the softest setting on Koni yellow its still stiffer than stock but I don't know how stiff
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
giOsaurus rEx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP

Quote:
What is your current setup? How's the performance of those two? Some said even the softest setting on Koni yellow its still stiffer than stock but I don't know how stiff
I've driven in a 335i with KW V1 and a E30 325iS coupe with V3s. They plant the road better than stock without giving a harsh ride. My setup is Koni Yellows set at medium all around and Eibach Pros, along with some M3 components. It was very stiff, sometimes uncomfortable during long trips, until I got Michelin PSS tires. Now it is just right.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz135 View Post
I've driven in a 335i with KW V1 and a E30 325iS coupe with V3s. They plant the road better than stock without giving a harsh ride. My setup is Koni Yellows set at medium all around and Eibach Pros, along with some M3 components. It was very stiff, sometimes uncomfortable during long trips, until I got Michelin PSS tires. Now it is just right.
Which one do you prefer now, coil over or damper set with Eibach pro? Okay, I assume that you're running RFT before change to Michelin PSS, right? Any idea about how FSD works? It seems FSD work just like magnetic ride control that adjust the stiffness depends on the road condition.
Appreciate 0