BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Aerocatches and other CF hood questions

Getting a Siebon CF hood. Need a hood pin solution.

Figured a number here use aerocatches. Trying to decide between the 120 and 125 series (over vs flush mount). Would also appreciate any mounting advice and lessons learned!

Also, I think I need the M3 hood supports, right? Are they the same as the 1M? Want to order the correct parts.

Also Also...any down side to keeping the factory latch as well? Seems more would be better.

Separately, this is the GTR model with the hood vent panels. They are currently non-functional. I intend to dremel them out to be functional. Any advice on this type of work would be appreciated as well.

TIA!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

Thanks for buying the hood!
Since I had researched this a bit, the aerocatches look like the way to go. I liked the flush mount for style, but after seeing install videos, you've got to be dead on precise with cutting the hole. I saw a guy on a mustang forum that had made wood templates for a router, measured, re-measured, cut slowly, grinded even more slowly and had a perfect cutout for the flush mount. I then saw others that used a dremel, accidentally over-ground the opening, and it was visibly not pretty. They ended up filling the gap with some epoxy. So in the end, I had decided on the over mount version.

I never got fully into the supports, just figured I would use a rod to hold it up versus the pistons, but I did see people mention they used the M3 ones because of the lighter hood.

I had asked my buddy that works with carbon fiber how to go about cutting the slits in the vents. He said to use a sharp carbide blade to cut the opening and then make sure I used an abrasive grinding wheel to smooth the cut.

Good luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 1
AndyW665.50
      05-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by what have i got into View Post
Thanks for buying the hood!
Since I had researched this a bit, the aerocatches look like the way to go. I liked the flush mount for style, but after seeing install videos, you've got to be dead on precise with cutting the hole. I saw a guy on a mustang forum that had made wood templates for a router, measured, re-measured, cut slowly, grinded even more slowly and had a perfect cutout for the flush mount. I then saw others that used a dremel, accidentally over-ground the opening, and it was visibly not pretty. They ended up filling the gap with some epoxy. So in the end, I had decided on the over mount version.

I never got fully into the supports, just figured I would use a rod to hold it up versus the pistons, but I did see people mention they used the M3 ones because of the lighter hood.

I had asked my buddy that works with carbon fiber how to go about cutting the slits in the vents. He said to use a sharp carbide blade to cut the opening and then make sure I used an abrasive grinding wheel to smooth the cut.

Good luck and enjoy!
The wood template for the router sounds like a great idea as I have a router. Thx! I think I will go with flush mount and if I screw up, sell those and get the over version... Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Please post some pics once its installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlo View Post
Please post some pics once its installed.
I will but it will be a bit. Need to get it painted first.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
Rundskop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM 6MT M2C

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I have a Seibon Hood and used the Quick Latch hood pins.

The carbon hood is paint matched white, and the hood pins come in a Cerakote white finish, among other options.

I decided for these over Aerocatch for their one push function and low profile aesthetics. They're much cheaper as well.

Last edited by Rundskop; 05-12-2020 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Pics added
Appreciate 1
AndyW665.50
      05-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #7
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundskop View Post
I have a Seibon Hood and used the Quick Latch hood pins.

The carbon hood is paint matched white, and the hood pins come in a Cerakote white finish, among other options.

I decided for these over Aerocatch for their one push function and low profile aesthetics. They're much cheaper as well.

Thx. They do look nice. I just looked and these seem to be about double the price of the aerocatches now. In any case, I went with the low profile aerocatches. Nervous to cut into my hood...but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Appreciate 1
Rundskop148.00
      05-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Rundskop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM 6MT M2C

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Thx. They do look nice. I just looked and these seem to be about double the price of the aerocatches now. In any case, I went with the low profile aerocatches. Nervous to cut into my hood...but nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing them on.

I don't recall exact pricing but these were around 28$ USD each so 65$ shipped.

Best of luck with the install. It's a bit tedious. Measure twice, and again then cut.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundskop View Post
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing them on.

I don't recall exact pricing but these were around 28$ USD each so 65$ shipped.

Best of luck with the install. It's a bit tedious. Measure twice, and again then cut.

Here are the ones that I think would have been the best size for my car: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/q...hoCcDkQAvD_BwE

The 25's seemed too small.

I think I am going to make a wood jig out of plywood to contain any cutting tools to just the work area. I'll probably measure like a dozen times...then cut small..then bigger...then bigger...then some grinding...you have to be perfect for these flush mounts to look right.

Appreciate 1
Rundskop148.00
      05-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #10
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

Soooooo, where are the pictures? You got started on cutting the vents....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:09 AM   #11
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by what have i got into View Post
Soooooo, where are the pictures? You got started on cutting the vents....
Vents are cut...will post a pic when I get the mesh installed (waiting on an appropriate adhesive to arrive).

Appreciate 0