BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2020, 02:57 AM   #1
gtatbrissy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

N54 powered E87 hatch

A quick timeline of ownership with this car

May 2019 - Bought a 2006 BMW E87 130i manual as a second 'fun car'

June 2019 - Bought a 2008 BMW E82 135i manual write off as a track car

Aug 2019 - New Enkei 17x9 inch wheels with Kumho V720 tyres, H&R springs, M3 lower control arms, 135i front brakes

Oct 2019 - Plans changed with the 135i so decided to swap the N54 driveline into the 130i (more on this below)

Jan 2020 - LCI dash update and HIZPO stereo (works incredibly well!)

Mar 2020 - I broke it

Current spec - July 2020

Driveline

135i N54 engine
135i 6 speed manual
E82 3.46 open diff
JB4
Catless downpipes
VRSF intakes
VRSF intercooler

Suspension/Brakes

135i 6 piston front brake callipers/discs
Braided brake lines
H&R springs on factory M-sport shocks
M3 lower control arms
90mm stud and nut conversion

Wheels/Tyres

Enkei 17x9 inch wheels
Kumho V720 245/40 tyres

Interior

HIZPO stereo
M-sport interior trims

Conversion

In about October 2019 I decided I wanted to attempt the N54 swap. I know a few E87s are floating around with N54s but couldn't really find much. It was actually reasonably straight forward. Everything bolted into the E87 body. Keep in mind I had a complete E82 to work with. I ended up using the E82 engine mounts, radiator, AC lines, PS lines, gearbox mounts, gearbox linkage, driveshafts, 3.46 ratio diff, instrument cluster and exhaust. The only thing that was modified was the E82 exhaust rear section as it was too long. The pain in the arse part of the swap was the wiring. Mainly because no matter how hard I looked I never found a completely accurate wiring diagram for either car, and I spent hours looking. Once done it was an awesome car to drive and very unsuspecting! Unfortunately, when I did this conversion I cheaped out on maintenance, something which came back to bite me.

Current state/plans

In about March 2020 I had a major coolant leak. I found the rubber part of the transfer pipe leaking. I attempted to replace it then realised you have to remove the downpipes to get to it thus meaning I had to remove the subframe. I noticed some of the other coolant hoses looking pretty tied and the valve cover leaking. I ended up ordering most of the coolant hoses, gaskets and all the other maintenance pieces required. I figured when they arrived, I would remove the subframe and do it all at once. Then I got thinking, if I am removing the subframe, why not fix the turbo waste gate rattle. That idea quickly went to, why not just replace the turbos? A couple of days later I ordered a pair of Dynamic Autowerx TD04 turbos, larger VRSF intakes and a full gasket kit.

As it currently sits, I am still waiting on the turbos to show up. Whilst I have been waiting, I have been gathering all kinds of parts. I got a hold of some used Eibach coil overs and Recaro seat. There is going to be a fair bit of work to make coil overs fit with 9-inch front wheels. I also bought a M factory plate type LSD centre to go into a E82 automatic 3.73 ratio diff which I will install later on.

Last edited by gtatbrissy; 07-24-2020 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 3
Suprgnat2281.00
fe1rx1390.00