United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
So you had first hand experience with stock size PS2, PSS and RE11 all on your 1M?

If so, what would be your choice for street/highway/back road driving and no track or competition, and why?

Thanks.
+1

I am debating PSS vs RE11. Car is mostly driven for fun on back roads, a few autocrosses and a few track days per year.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #46
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

While waiting for OP's comments, I've read a bit about RE11s in tire rack web site, mainly specs and user reviews. It seems like these are the areas that they have some sort of disadvantage over PSS:

1) Much heavier tire; 5 pounds heavier for each front tires, 4 pounds for rears. A total of 18 pounds heavier vs. PSS, both in stock sizes.

2) Significantly lower tread wear rating: 180 AA vs. 300 AAA

3) More expensive vs PSS

4) W speed rating (up to 270 km/h) vs. Y rating of PSS (up to 300 km/h)

5) Tread width of re11 is narrower vs. PSS

For me unless they make HUGE difference in street/back road driving vs PSS, above mentioned technical and price differences are enough to stick with PSS. I have a feeling that RE11 may be grippier/better tire for track use combined with respectable street manners, this is what I got from what I saw in users' reviews.

Really looking forward to hear personal experience of KennyPowers in more detail.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #47
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

1) the re11 is much more square and wider than the pss on the same wheel. It's about .75 inches difference.

2) the pss is heavier, but that is because it has a stiffer more robust sidewall and construction. All extreme performance tires with similar characteristics are heavier than softer tires like pss. The trade off is easily worth it. You won't notice the heavier weight, but you will notice the cornering and grip

3) the re11 are like 100 more dollars than pss, negligible IMO

4) the tread wear is similar, not too different . Can't compare tread wear ratings from different manufacturers

5) the re11 feel better and more stable. They also handle better and grip like a boss.

It's up to you, really. But if you really want to add grip, this is the way to go. I'm glad I did and wont go back to pss
      02-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #48
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
1) the re11 is much more square and wider than the pss on the same wheel. It's about .75 inches difference.

2) the pss is heavier, but that is because it has a stiffer more robust sidewall and construction. All extreme performance tires with similar characteristics are heavier than softer tires like pss. The trade off is easily worth it. You won't notice the heavier weight, but you will notice the cornering and grip

4) the tread wear is similar, not too different . Can't compare tread wear ratings from different manufacturers

5) the re11 feel better and more stable. They also handle better and grip like a boss.

It's up to you, really. But if you really want to add grip, this is the way to go. I'm glad I did and wont go back to pss
Thanks for your reply. I assume at no: 2 you wanted to say PSS is "lighter" but you don't notice it etc.

I understand that RE-11 is probably the grippier tire. My only concern is I thought that PSS is already very very grippy for street use, especially for stock power level cars. So, maybe not very meaningful for me to switch to RE-11 unless I start tracking or move to somewhere where road and weather conditions would benefit from even more grip. In my situation here in Santiago, Chile, with year round good and dry weather and quite qood road conditions (other than down town) I don't want to transform the 1M to a TT RS, it can continue sliding a bit
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #49
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

It's less about ultimate grip and more about cornering grip and control of body roll

And yea lol, meant to say lighter
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #50
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

Good info . . . one of my concerns was that the spec sheets on tire rack suggest that the tread width is narrower on the RE-11 compared to PS2 and PSS. I have used bridgestones on other cars in the past (pole positions) and they were definitely wide for the size. Who knows what they measure on those specs.

The stock size PS2's already look stretched so I was afraid that the RE-11's would look worse. Can you post a pic of your setup? I know, I am vain.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #51
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Just replaced my PS2 for PSS same size all around and the front tires rubs when turning so annoying
      10-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #52
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO///M View Post
Just replaced my PS2 for PSS same size all around and the front tires rubs when turning so annoying
Try to convince your BMW dealer to change your front fender liners with newer and modified ones under warranty, some people managed this in US. I also have stock size PSS and in parking spaces it sometimes rubs a little. Difficult to get those modified liners here with or without the dealer channel.

PSS are more square and slightly bulkier than same dimension PS2.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #53
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Try to convince your BMW dealer to change your front fender liners with newer and modified ones under warranty, some people managed this in US. I also have stock size PSS and in parking spaces it sometimes rubs a little. Difficult to get those modified liners here with or without the dealer channel.

PSS are more square and slightly bulkier than same dimension PS2.
I also run stock size PSS and they sometimes rubbed when parking. Changed front fender liners under warranty and problem solved, the space is apparently the same but no more rubbing at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #54
cward2
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 1 M - SOLD

I just installed the 265/30/19 and 295/30/19 PSS combination on a spare set of factory wheels on my 1M with factory suspension and ride height. No rubbing in the front and I had a slight rub in the rear on some double compression roads (at stock tire pressure). Couldn't determine where the rub was quickly so I upped the rear pressure to 42 psi and the rub appears to have dissipated.

Maybe the rub is on the plastic lip edge where the rear bumper flanges to meet the rear fender. Seems possible.

I like the fitment and will upload a few photos later this evening of fender gaps. The height measurement at the wheel arches has changed from F27 R26 3/8 to F26 3/4 R26. About exactly what the tire measurements would predict.

Pictures from rear and front show the square sidewall. I have the front rub backing up only
Attached Images

Last edited by cward2; 03-03-2014 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: adding pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #55
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd7511 View Post
I am running 255/35 & 275/35 on my stockers. Michelin PSS

M3 GTS same wheel size is running 255/35 & 285/30 on Pirelli Corsa
I know this is old, but still trying to get an answer on this. Did you run into any rubbing or other issues on 1M with stock 1M ZCP wheels and 255/35/19, 275/35/19? sorry, you mention you were running those sizes but didn't mention if they rubbed or didn't.

Thanks

Last edited by nachob; 09-15-2019 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0