BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Help for Cruise Control Retrofit Coding DIY ?

Hey guys,

Firstly a big sorry - i know this topic probably doesn't belong here but i couldn't figure out where else to put it...

I just retrofitted cruise control to my '10 e87 today - its was definitely the easiest retrofit i've done on the car - took all of 1 hour to install.

Does anyone know how to fully code the retrofit? I've partially coded it and i tested the cruise control and it is working as it should but i'm getting errors :'( (see attached)

Here's what i did:
i coded the car using NCSExpert to update the vehicle order ($540 for CC), writing that to CAS and FRM and then coding each individual module (the only one that failed was the MULF - which i guess is expected because thats for the bluetooth...?)

After i did that i shut off the car, removed key, put key back in and started the car and took the car for a drive to test the cruise control and it worked but so many errors...The DSC, DBC (dynamic brake control), FTM (flat tyre monitoring) and restraint system failure (this one i think is my fault because i broke the ground wire for the air bag - will fix tomorrow)

So yeah in summary - Any advice on the coding to get rid of the errors? Any e9x guys? the retrofit is almost identical

Cheers Guys, Reis
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 03:04 AM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

OK well i managed to sort out the errors. All i had to do was use Tool32 to calibrate the steering angle sensor.

If anyone reading this is in the same boat as me this is the basic process on coding a cruise control retrofit:

NCSExpert
Using NCSEXPERT update the car's "Vehicle Order" (VO) by adding option "$540" and "FA_WRITE" the new VO to the CAS and NFRM module. Next select Job "SG_Codieren" to code each (all) the modules in the car individually. For me only the 2MULF module failed (this would make sense because its only the bluetooth module).

Tool32:
I found instructions here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914544

Open Tool32, File->Choose "Load SGBD Group file", open DSC_87.prg (for my 2010 e87 it was this), find job "lenkwinkel dsc abgleichen" and double click. If it worked correctly, a new results window will appear, look for where it says "status/job status" and if it's says ok, close tool32 and disconnect the OBD cable and start the car.

Error messages should be gone
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Thanks for the info!

About to do this retrofit on my 2007 323i E90, which doesn't have cruise. If I all want is "basic" cruise (not adaptive etc.), all I need is the upgraded steering wheel stalk (with CC controller) and the coding described above?

Any clue if I need the steering wheel stalk from a particular car, option, year range (LCI vs. Pre-LCI), or any other info?

THanks again!!
      02-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah mate thats all you need to do.

Whilst generally any 1 or 3 series stalk/switch cluster will work, you need one that matches your options + the cruise control. For example, if you have a rain/light sensor - the replacement must have that. If you have an e87, replacement must have a wiper position for the rear windscreen. LCI vs Non-LCI shouldn't matter from an electronic stand point.

Coding should be exactly as described.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
Yeah mate thats all you need to do.

Whilst generally any 1 or 3 series stalk/switch cluster will work, you need one that matches your options + the cruise control. For example, if you have a rain/light sensor - the replacement must have that. If you have an e87, replacement must have a wiper position for the rear windscreen. LCI vs Non-LCI shouldn't matter from an electronic stand point.

Coding should be exactly as described.
That's a HUGE help, and such a prompt response!! Can't thank you enough!

Question: Do I need to check the VIN for options to confirm the rain sensor, or as long as the stalk is identical to mine (same buttons, icons) will I be ok? I imagine a non-sensing wiper might not have the same buttons / icons... right?
      02-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
That's a HUGE help, and such a prompt response!! Can't thank you enough!

Question: Do I need to check the VIN for options to confirm the rain sensor, or as long as the stalk is identical to mine (same buttons, icons) will I be ok? I imagine a non-sensing wiper might not have the same buttons / icons... right?
A rain sensing wiper has a little light on the push button on the right stalk. You can also look at your windscreen and you can see it haha. If you have a rain light sensor you will also have the "automatic" headlight option
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Thanks. I know my car has it. Issue is the steering wheel stalk I found is already off the vehicle, and no VIN available.

Hopefully the auto button/light on the stalk is identifiable and sufficient by itself to confirm it's the right part.

Thanks again.
      10-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #8
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hey Peoples,
Just done this today on my 2009 135i, but still got FTM/DSC errors, cruise does not appear to work (though only tried at 50kmph which might not be high enough) AND my reverse camera does not work anymore!

In NCS Expert I loaded the NCS Dummy profile (because initially I was using their info) F1 > F3 > Select E89 > Select CAS > it read data.
Clicked Enter VO/FA > Select E89 > Added $540 to the list > ok
F6 (Back) > Process ECU > Select CAS > ok > OK > change job > fa_write > ok > execute job

Repeated but selected NFRM as the process ecu stage

Selected Code Car which came up with the following error at the end:
[16:48:58.818] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] 2020 Error LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_E65R.IPS/IPO) CDHapiResultText 1
[16:48:58.818] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] SG antwortet nicht IFH-0009: SG nicht angeschlossen oder meldet sich nicht TRSVC70

[16:48:58.939] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] 2020 Error COAPI2.CPP coapiRunCabd 6
[16:48:58.939] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] SG antwortet nicht SG_CODIEREN

NOW, the TRSVC appears to be related to the camera not working, but that as far as I have got.

After this I followed the steps for Tool32 (an dsc87 is the same file for my car)

Cleared any remaining errors in inpa and went for a drive.
As soon as I tried cruise, the FTM/DSC error popped up, and then noticed rear camera was not working while manouevering in my driveway

Soooo I could REALLY do with some help to try and 'check' that VO has actually been written, or something!
TIA!!
PS will test cruise control at highway speed later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep

Quick update - Cruise does work!
I was pushing the lever in the wrong direction, which was how my last vehicle had it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoThePyro View Post
Hey Peoples,
Just done this today on my 2009 135i, but still got FTM/DSC errors, cruise does not appear to work (though only tried at 50kmph which might not be high enough) AND my reverse camera does not work anymore!

In NCS Expert I loaded the NCS Dummy profile (because initially I was using their info) F1 > F3 > Select E89 > Select CAS > it read data.
Clicked Enter VO/FA > Select E89 > Added $540 to the list > ok
F6 (Back) > Process ECU > Select CAS > ok > OK > change job > fa_write > ok > execute job

Repeated but selected NFRM as the process ecu stage

Selected Code Car which came up with the following error at the end:
[16:48:58.818] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] 2020 Error LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_E65R.IPS/IPO) CDHapiResultText 1
[16:48:58.818] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] SG antwortet nicht IFH-0009: SG nicht angeschlossen oder meldet sich nicht TRSVC70

[16:48:58.939] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] 2020 Error COAPI2.CPP coapiRunCabd 6
[16:48:58.939] [2018-10-18] [SERIE] SG antwortet nicht SG_CODIEREN

NOW, the TRSVC appears to be related to the camera not working, but that as far as I have got.

After this I followed the steps for Tool32 (an dsc87 is the same file for my car)

Cleared any remaining errors in inpa and went for a drive.
As soon as I tried cruise, the FTM/DSC error popped up, and then noticed rear camera was not working while manouevering in my driveway

Soooo I could REALLY do with some help to try and 'check' that VO has actually been written, or something!
TIA!!
PS will test cruise control at highway speed later tonight.
Never select code car, program all modules individually (select them one by one). How did you go? Have the errors gone away?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #11
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep

Thanks for the tip about 'code car' - won;t do that again then.

Errors are still there - wondering if steering angle sensor didn't calibrate so will check it in inpa and try the turn left/right method, then tool32again.

Please excuse my inexperience with ncs expert - with program modules individually, please can you be a little more specific in the steps to get there. Is this the Process ecu step? You do each of these not just CAS and NFRM?

Thanks for your help! I have spent hours now trying to piece bits of info together.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep

Further update - I was able to re-do the steering angle calibration in my lunch break and that has cleared the FTM/DSC errors! I guess wheel may not have been straight when I did it last night.

One issue left - the reverse camera and (i have just found) steering wheel buttons no longer work. This has to be related to the TRSVC70 error.
This car is a japanese import and had bluetooth added and maps change to new zealand by a previous owner when it was imported.

Hopefully this info can help someone point me in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
Dandymon
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

I also did this retrofit and it was super easy. It took me a while to figure out how to remove the airbag, those little holes on the steering column (through the leather) were virginal and I couldn't see them. I did think I could save on recalibrating the steering (because the rumour of lots of errors scared me) by using the new cruise stalk and adding it to my existing indicator cluster: no chance! Whilst I could physically fit the stalk into the cluster mounting and everything looked good, the ribbon cable had no FPC connector on the cluster PCB to plug into, so I had to use the new cluster-slip-ring-type-thingy. My error-fears and work-aversion habits weren't completely in vain, the steering recalibration was much easier than I thought with ISTA/D

Physical Actions:
Disconnected battery
Removed airbag
Removed steering wheel
Removed cowls
Swapped over stalk clusters.
Put cowls back on
Put steering wheel back on
Put airbag back on.
...took about 30 mins because of the faffing with the airbag. Don't overtighten the steering wheel bolt, use a torque wrench, they're a great investment.

Coding actions:
As above, added $540 to the VO for both CAS and NFRM.
Then coded all modules which failed a lot. I did it again and it failed differently (it was in German, I didn't know, I panicked and just hit program again).
After lots of retries I tried CC out in the road and it didn't work.... which turned out that I wasn't going fast enough, it needs to be over 20mph!
After finding out it worked, I then set about removing the steering and type pressure errors by recalibrating in ISTA/D.

Loaded the car and went to:
Vehicle management>service functions>Chassis>DSC>Adjustment>steering angle>[start search]>ASC/DSC sensor>[Display]. I had no guidance for this, it was pretty intuitive.
ISTA then walks you through a step by step with pictures and everything of what to do, I was suspicious it was an in-line manual and wasn't going to do anything, but amongst the clicking it started to communicate with the car. The coolest part was at the end when I was moving my steering wheel and the angle on screen was changing. It told me I might want to recalibrate other things, which I passed on and it was fine. The software gave me its life story of why I might need to recalibrate a sensor and what could cause errors that need recalibration. Sure enough, changing the slip ring thingy was one of the reasons.

Tool32 scares me, ISTA/D is a dream! Don't need ISTA/P.

It's been 2 months and my licence has been saved at least twice already by setting and forgetting the speed. (Obviously cover the brake!)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #14
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Any idea what torque for steering wheel should be? Assume all the steering wheel variants are the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #15
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Further update - I was able to re-do the steering angle calibration in my lunch break and that has cleared the FTM/DSC errors! I guess wheel may not have been straight when I did it last night.

One issue left - the reverse camera and (i have just found) steering wheel buttons no longer work. This has to be related to the TRSVC70 error.
This car is a japanese import and had bluetooth added and maps change to new zealand by a previous owner when it was imported.

Hopefully this info can help someone point me in the right direction!
Can you add a picture of your reverse camera? Is it OEM? How does it work? Is it on the idrive Screen?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #16
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep

@reisf The camera is oem and displays on the idrive screen.
I have also lost the ability to switch to sport/manual mode via gear lever and steering wheel paddles along with the other steering buttons (didn't use that until today).

Photos here https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aki7Pe33c8Vwheo5awLlAU6Mlq9MlA

You can see the PDC taking up the whole screen horizontally and it is normally vertically on the right of the rear camera view.

When using ncs expert I can 'see' the trsvc module but not read it. In ISTA/D that section is 'missing' and I assume linked to CIC-GW module (look at photos link)

To clarify: I did a 'code car' and errored on TRSVC module. To code each module manually, do I select ecu, write, repeat for all of them in the list? (Just don't want to make things worse)

EDIT: Have received two errors around 25km ago:
CAS:
K_CAN_Leitungsfehler, Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden, aber bereits gespeichert
92200 km, 92200 km

CID:
K-CAN Fehler, Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden, aber bereits gespeichert
92200 km, 92200 km

Thanks!

Last edited by BingoThePyro; 10-21-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep

@dandymon That is nice quick overview of how to do it and the ista way is a bit more friendly looking that tool32
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #18
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
@reisf The camera is oem and displays on the idrive screen.
I have also lost the ability to switch to sport/manual mode via gear lever and steering wheel paddles along with the other steering buttons (didn't use that until today).

Photos here https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aki7Pe33c8Vwheo5awLlAU6Mlq9MlA

You can see the PDC taking up the whole screen horizontally and it is normally vertically on the right of the rear camera view.

When using ncs expert I can 'see' the trsvc module but not read it. In ISTA/D that section is 'missing' and I assume linked to CIC-GW module (look at photos link)

To clarify: I did a 'code car' and errored on TRSVC module. To code each module manually, do I select ecu, write, repeat for all of them in the list? (Just don't want to make things worse)

EDIT: Have received two errors around 25km ago:
CAS:
K_CAN_Leitungsfehler, Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden, aber bereits gespeichert
92200 km, 92200 km

CID:
K-CAN Fehler, Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden, aber bereits gespeichert
92200 km, 92200 km

Thanks!
TSRVC appears to be a "Top Side Rear View Video Control" module. This appears to be a module installed on Fxx generation cars

If im honest ive never encountered a e82 1 series with an oem rear view camera system. I'm thinking this has been retrofitted by a previous owner.

It makes sense to me that you got a coding error for the TSRVC because to me it shouldn't exist on that car, and might only have been added to the VO in order to get OEM System working. This also makes sense because ISTA Can't see it.

Did you back up your previous FA String (Vehicle order string) before you started coding your car?

What i think has happened is that the rear view camera system has been retrofitted and the car has been programmed accordingly.

When you reprogrammed your whole car, you overwrote the previous coding options with the newly updated VO (vehicle order). I would go through what NCS reads your VO to be (what you would have programmed your car with and see if you can determine if anything is missing.

Judging by your control unit tree you seem to have a 2010/early 2011 model i would also check to see if your production date in the VO has changed.

Edit: Silly question: Does your horn work?

Last edited by reisf; 10-21-2018 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #19
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Also i just thought of something. You have a six cylinder model. I only learnt this at a later day when i wanted to retrofit Cruise Control With Braking Function. The DME/DSC modules between 4/6 cylinder cars are different. This may be why your sports mode/steering wheel buttons dont work.

Because you have a 6 Cylinder model you might want to try option $544 instead of $540

Learn and worship this page https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717103
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #20
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep

I don't have a backup because I didn't know how/was not in the initial procedure I found, but kicking myself because I know a lot better than that

I have save screenshots of the VO in the prior link - it appears that #0609 may be the production year as it is mid 2009.

No, the horn does not work.

EDIT:
Just seen your reply - will go remove 540/add 544 and see what happens

Last edited by BingoThePyro; 10-21-2018 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #21
BingoThePyro
New Zealand
Rep

sorry, forgot to confirm 'code rest of modules'
Edit VO, fa_WRITE, Process ECU, CAS, execute
Change ecu, nfrm, fa_write, execute job
THEN???
Select ecu (start at top and go through them)
Change job, sg_codieren, execute
Repeat for all other Ecu's?

Also, $544 appears to be for adaptive cruise which I believe is different to what i have (basic lever for it)
I DO have $3AG which is Reversing Camera, but not $REL (Camera System) - not sure if that is related.

update: horn does work, car needed to be running.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #22
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
sorry, forgot to confirm 'code rest of modules'
Edit VO, fa_WRITE, Process ECU, CAS, execute
Change ecu, nfrm, fa_write, execute job
THEN???
Select ecu (start at top and go through them)
Change job, sg_codieren, execute
Repeat for all other Ecu's?

Also, $544 appears to be for adaptive cruise which I believe is different to what i have (basic lever for it)
I DO have $3AG which is Reversing Camera, but not $REL (Camera System) - not sure if that is related.

update: horn does work, car needed to be running.
Ok awesome. Horn works so that means clock spring is functioning. $544 is dynamic cruise - this is the one where it just brakes for you while going down hill. Adaptive cruise is the radar guided cruise.

So try exactly this for:

1. Select NCS Profile (whatever you normally use. For what its worth ive only ever worked with expert mode)
2. Read VO
3. Edit VO
4. Remove $540
5. Add $544
6. Exit out go back to Main
7. Select ECU --> KOMBI
8. Select Job --> SG_CODIEREN (should be already selected but confirm anyway). Then execute
9. Repeat 7-8 for CAS, DSC, SZL (if its there)

(I'd be more descriptive but you seem to know what your doing )

For reverse camera:
$3AG appears to be all you need. Try changing your production date to #0311 and then only coding the CIC using SG_CODIEREN. No need to do an FA_WRITE

If you want to PM me your vin number i can run it and see exactly what options your car left munich with haha
Appreciate 0