BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

DIY remove radiator fan? Anyone else did it?

I'm just curious what is the best method to go by. Has anyone else had trouble fiddling with the intercooler CP and hose clips to take it out? I did the job this weekend and the TIS doesn't say anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I'm just curious what is the best method to go by. Has anyone else had trouble fiddling with the intercooler CP and hose clips to take it out? I did the job this weekend and the TIS doesn't say anything about it.
Yes. Even after releasing the clip/bushing that holds the charge pipe to the radiator fan, we still needed to guide it from underneath and push away the charge pipe hoses while someone guided it out from above.

Why did you need to remove your radiator fan, out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Yes. Even after releasing the clip/bushing that holds the charge pipe to the radiator fan, we still needed to guide it from underneath and push away the charge pipe hoses while someone guided it out from above.

Why did you need to remove your radiator fan, out of curiosity?
I replaced my thermostat. Chose to remove it to give me more space since 2 of the 4 hoses connecting to it are kinda pointing towards the front of the car and not being able to be standing (no lift) think would have made it impossible almost.

But re-thinking about it... I don't even recall how I put it back in. I know I took out the intercooler first then dropped the pipe from top to bottom. then pull fan up.

But reinstalling the process is still different. I think I started with the fan in but not full way, left it dangling mid way then install pipe and then inter cooler then sliding fan down I don't know just thinking about it is such a fing puzzle my god haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I replaced my thermostat. Chose to remove it to give me more space since 2 of the 4 hoses connecting to it are kinda pointing towards the front of the car and not being able to be standing (no lift) think would have made it impossible almost.

But re-thinking about it... I don't even recall how I put it back in. I know I took out the intercooler first then dropped the pipe from top to bottom. then pull fan up.

But reinstalling the process is still different. I think I started with the fan in but not full way, left it dangling mid way then install pipe and then inter cooler then sliding fan down I don't know just thinking about it is such a fing puzzle my god haha.
Yes, it was definitely a puzzle. We had to do it a few times, and experience did not make it any better. Also, I see in another thread you broke the sneaky lower clip that holds the radiator hose. Did you ever find the correct part number?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Yes, it was definitely a puzzle. We had to do it a few times, and experience did not make it any better. Also, I see in another thread you broke the sneaky lower clip that holds the radiator hose. Did you ever find the correct part number?
Yes, kind off. The aux rad hose that runs across is hold by straight clips on the side and one that is 90 degree near the middle of fan shroud. Unable to find the 90 degree one but was able to find the straight ones. PN 13537708472. Off of a 335D, did a lot of digging to find this then stopped maybe there is one for the 90 degree one... who knows.

Was able to reinstall the clip for the left side that I broke but the middle 90 degree one it's to tight from up.It is still loose I'll try installing from under the car when I fix something else. Not 100% sure yet if it's a good fit though for the 90 degree one.

But overall I don't think the hose has enough move to crash into belts or rad fan even if there was 0 clips. I might just ditch the middle one.
Appreciate 0