E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > ACCELERATION LAG

09-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #23
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus330i
My 330 manual is flawless. I dumped my 545 because I HATED the Steptronic.
Acceleration in my 6 speed 330 sucks. There is way too much hesitation and inconsistent power delivery. It is ruining my whole experience, and I will not be keeping it if it cannot be resolved.

By the way, the Corvette is a phenomenal sports car....at any price - to whatever moron stated that it is a POS.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 04:52 AM   #24
adsam
Wk 26 E92 335i Tiag, saddle, nav,sports,premium,CA
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for that reply AUDIA4..... I assume yours is a MANUAL car...?

Many on this board are saying that this issue is only with automatic e90.....I have seen numerous MANUAL drivers saying the same thing !
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #25
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
I don't particularly notice that lag when in DS or M1 mode, the power just kicks in and launch basically. In D mode however the lag is noticable and I just take it as a everday driving avoid-you-hit-the-bumper-of-the-car-in-front-you satefy feature, ha haha.
      09-11-2005, 11:52 AM   #26
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
Corvette is a phenomenal sports car
Yes, phenomonal... with that Ben Hur era suspension technology (leaf springs in the rear for God sakes!), the pushrod engine, fiberglass nurf bodywork and a hose it down, gappy plastic interior. Ohh, and it's slower then other cars in the same price tag in a straight line, doesn't handle as well as a BMW and is made by a company on the verge of declairing bankrupcy.

Can you tell me what this POS has over an M3?

And if we are going to have this military rank system, can I at least have the rank I attained in real life? I never enjoyed being a PFC...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #27
choddo
Rep
Drives: MG ZT 190+

Manual or Auto?

Not driven the 330 but You shouldn't get acceleration lag in a normally aspirated 255hp straight6. If anything, you'll get smoother delivery that won't push you back in your seat as suddenly as a turbo on a WRX or Evo.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #28
jbl16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Maybe you should drive an Z06 or even better the new Z06 thats coming out to see if its "fast" in a straight line, 3.7 to 60mph with 500hp is pretty fast for me though. I'm sure the m3 can beat it /sarcasm lol. Anyways the m3 is an incredible car but its not by far a super car, specially in straight line speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Yes, phenomonal... with that Ben Hur era suspension technology (leaf springs in the rear for God sakes!), the pushrod engine, fiberglass nurf bodywork and a hose it down, gappy plastic interior. Ohh, and it's slower then other cars in the same price tag in a straight line, doesn't handle as well as a BMW and is made by a company on the verge of declairing bankrupcy.

And if we are going to have this military rank system, can I at least have the rank I attained in real life? I never enjoyed being a PFC...
      09-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #29
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:

ZenDriver - all that you did was state things that you don't like about the Corvette - none of which make is a POS (okay, I'll give you the interior).

If you don't like the car, that is entirely your right. But virtually every authoritative automotive publication (world-wide) differs with your general observations.

Go drive the car, then come back on this board and say - with a straight face - that it is a POS.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #30
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsam
Thanks for that reply AUDIA4..... I assume yours is a MANUAL car...?

Many on this board are saying that this issue is only with automatic e90.....I have seen numerous MANUAL drivers saying the same thing !
Yes, my apology - it is a MANUAL - per my signature (I forget that the automatic is also 6-speed).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 02:40 AM   #31
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

List one car in the 65k msrp range that does 0-60 in less than 3.7s and quarter mile under 11.7s stock. That's just the beginning, there is no car currently in BMW's line up can beat C6 Z06's time around the Nurburgring, exclusion of the BMW F1 (which you can't buy.)

What does this car has over the M3? It's faster in the straight line, it's faster around the corner WITH Ben Hur Era technology and you have bunch of M3 owners who's sick and tired of M3 reliability and bad dealer service wanting to jump ship to the new Vette z06.

There are only two things M3 has over Z06 iand they are interior trim quality, which C6 has dramatically improved over last generation C5 vetts, and prestige. So if you are a driver you would want the new Z06 otherwise you are out there for the name of BMW. Performance wise you can't even compare current gen M3 to it. Will the new M3 beat it? I highly doubt it. I will be very happy if the E92 M3 will match the performance.

That said given the choice I'd pick a M3 because I want 4 seats, creature of comfort and a grand tourer instead of all out sports car, but I have no problem admitting the Z06 will smoke my car any given day. Give respect where it's due.

Of course this is the only car I would own from GM. They generally make crappy cars.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 04:19 AM   #32
adsam
Rep

I think Zendriver seems to be having some anger management issues right now that he needs to deal with !!!!!!!!!..... or maybe the arrogance comes from being an American ?????
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #33
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hey, not ALL Americans are arrogant! Only 96% of them are!
      09-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #34
darkie
Private
Rep
Drives: going to be 330i

Quote:
maybe the arrogance comes from being an American ?????
hey come on now...that hurts!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #35
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
I think Zendriver seems to be having some anger management issues right now that he needs to deal with !!!!!!!!!..... or maybe the arrogance comes from being an American ?????
And maybe adsam's feeling of insignificance and irrelevance comes from being Canadian?

You know I am totally kidding of course... Really I am.

The Corvette is a fine sports car, in fact Road and Track (arguably an American car magazine) recently awarded it the best sports car honors over such cars as the Porsche 911, Boxster S, etc. I would proabably disagree with that, but it's hard to argue with the performance.

The Corvette and M3 aren't even in the same class. The corvette is a sports car and the M3 is a sporty 2 door sedan. Arguably, it is the most sporting 2 door sedan you can buy, but it is not a pure sports car. Comparing the 2 is pretty silly, because the Corvette has many advantages over the M3 in basic design layout.

The M3 is far more advanced from an engineering standpoint, but that can't make it perform better than the Corvette. Of course, I would never buy a Corvette, but that's just me.

I think that it's stupid that since one person mentioned a Corvette (instead of say, a Ferrari Enzo) that this turned into a discussion about which car is better, the M3 or the Corvette. The thread is about acceleration problems on a 330i for heavens sake!!

I would have simply said that for best acceleration in a 330i, one should have opted for a manual transmission! If that's not fast enough, buy something else!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #36
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

I'm not cranky or in the middle of an anger management problem; I just have a different metrics by which I judge which car is a POS and which one is amazing.

I guess unlike most people, raw performance numbers don't do it for me anymore. Around the time of the E36 M3, it became apparent (to me) that high performance vehicles were butting up against the point where the extra performance heaped upon them was useless. There is only so fast a sane, even semi-responsible driver will push a vehicle on the public roadways and while you might want to say "What about the track?" I would point out that only about 5% of today's performance cars ever see the pavement of a closed road course. Is making a 0-60 in 3.7 second, 500bhp vehicle priced at $65K impressive? Yes, but in the end, who cares? 99% of the people who will own the C6 ZO6 won't have the skill to shift a 3.7 second run, much less plumb the limits of that Ben Hur era suspension.

What does do it for me is innovative engineering, quality and attention to detail. I love cars that push the definition of how an automobile works forward and in that race, the C6 is a complete POS. While it is a very nice car, it relies on the innovations that have been honed onto 50 year old technology. This is basically indicative of the way American car companies operate- make a car that looks good on paper, looks nice in pictures but totally lacks any refinement or sophistication. You want to know what I am talking about, sit inside a C6 and look at that interior- a company that cared about making a truly great car would not build a cockpit that patently cheep. One is forced to wonder where other corners were cut.

The M3, by comparison, is a vehicle that brought cutting edge technology down to an attainable price point. For about the same as an optioned C6, you get a 100+bhp/L engine, monocoque construction (of real metal!), coil springs, an interior you might actually be interested in sitting in, razor sharp handling, a suspension that is supple on the way to work and carving on the backroads heading home and a pretty cool optional sequential gearbox. The M3 is a vehicle other companies are constantly trying to copy and dethrone; nobody of consequence, beyond the Corvette team, is aspiring to make fiberglass, pushrod engined, leaf sprung sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #37
adsam
Rep

whatever makes you happy.....neighbour !
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #38
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Using your logic 99% of the driver wont be able tell the performance difference between Audi and BMW on public road. Yet Audi has a better interior + cutting edge technology that's easier to navigate (MMI > IDRIVE) and its cheaper. Tell me how I am going to tell the difference between them doing 25mph in a community and 65mph on the freeway. Off-on ramps are 25mph-30mph and twisty mountain roads are limited around 35-40mph. If anything I'd feel the launch of the quattro.

Every car has its faults. I assure you the 2001-2003.5 M3 owners aren't happy with their engine being recalled despite how technologically advanced it is. Few are having problem with their subframe cracking. Many have their weather seals peeling off fix after fix. Good number of them have swap out the stock suspension for more stiffer setup because they felt the car is too heavy and leans like a pig. Things aren't as peachy as the bmw brochure preach it to be. Truth is out there you just gotta open your mind.

That said BMW are great cars. I am looking foward to own a 07 M3

Quote:
I'm not cranky or in the middle of an anger management problem; I just have a different metrics by which I judge which car is a POS and which one is amazing.

I guess unlike most people, raw performance numbers don't do it for me anymore. Around the time of the E36 M3, it became apparent (to me) that high performance vehicles were butting up against the point where the extra performance heaped upon them was useless. There is only so fast a sane, even semi-responsible driver will push a vehicle on the public roadways and while you might want to say "What about the track?" I would point out that only about 5% of today's performance cars ever see the pavement of a closed road course. Is making a 0-60 in 3.7 second, 500bhp vehicle priced at $65K impressive? Yes, but in the end, who cares? 99% of the people who will own the C6 ZO6 won't have the skill to shift a 3.7 second run, much less plumb the limits of that Ben Hur era suspension.

What does do it for me is innovative engineering, quality and attention to detail. I love cars that push the definition of how an automobile works forward and in that race, the C6 is a complete POS. While it is a very nice car, it relies on the innovations that have been honed onto 50 year old technology. This is basically indicative of the way American car companies operate- make a car that looks good on paper, looks nice in pictures but totally lacks any refinement or sophistication. You want to know what I am talking about, sit inside a C6 and look at that interior- a company that cared about making a truly great car would not build a cockpit that patently cheep. One is forced to wonder where other corners were cut.

The M3, by comparison, is a vehicle that brought cutting edge technology down to an attainable price point. For about the same as an optioned C6, you get a 100+bhp/L engine, monocoque construction (of real metal!), coil springs, an interior you might actually be interested in sitting in, razor sharp handling, a suspension that is supple on the way to work and carving on the backroads heading home and a pretty cool optional sequential gearbox. The M3 is a vehicle other companies are constantly trying to copy and dethrone; nobody of consequence, beyond the Corvette team, is aspiring to make fiberglass, pushrod engined, leaf sprung sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #39
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Yes, bleeding edge performance is very suseptible to trouble. Sure, the 3 liter V-10 in a Formula 1 car puts out over 600 horsepower, but they only last 2 races at most.

The M3 has much more longevity than that, but that is why I prefer the B6 and B7 S4 over the E46 M3. Sure, they are roughly the same horsepower, but the Audi engine is working a lot less hard to put out the same horsepower. Over the long run, the Audi should last longer. (and I think the reliability of the E46 M3 proves this). You are fine until the warranty expires, and then LOOK OUT.

That's why I went with the 330i. Good performance that should last. Overall, I agree that the M3 is much more technologically advanced than the Corvette, but if it only lasts 80K miles, that's not that great either. I think the pushrod V-8 in the Corvette may be antiquated, but there is something to be said for the ease and relative inexpense of having to repair it. And since the V-8 in the Corvette is working less hard than the M3, then it should last longer than the M3. Obviously, there are a lot of variables, but this can generally be expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 09:46 PM   #40
bookman2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SP, PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan
Why that POS...M3 maybe or Cayman....not any American built crap
I love Bimmers and have put down my hard earned cash for two of them so far, but the new Z06 Vette is hardly a POS. I'd advise you to be nice and respectful if you happen upon one on the road, or extreme embarassment may follow.
Appreciate 0