BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Joying 8" Single DIN Headunit Android 8.0 and Backup Camera

I installed a Joying 8" single DIN headunit from https://www.joyingauto.com/ (my exact headunit is no longer available).

My car is a 2012 135i Coupe with a factory analog amp in the trunk (not Harman Kardon), Park Distance Control, and no iDrive.

Cost:
$300 Headunit
$129 PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 Smart Harness, Best Kits BKBMW3 Dash Kit, Best Kits BAA22 Antenna Adapter
$34 Weivision Trunk Handle Backup Camera 700TVL Resolution
= Total around $500 with some miscellaneous supplies

Rating:
4 stars. Nice upgrade with loads of features and a backup camera, but some quirks and lousy support.

Features:
- Single DIN so it doesn't require cutting behind the dash like double DIN units do. Double DINs are also quite low depending on if the climate controls are relocated above or below the screen.

- Detachable screen with adjustable mounting points so it fits perfectly under the air vents and above the climate controls. Units with a flip out screen like the Pioneer AVH-3300NEX would cover the air vents.

- Supposed to support Apple CarPlay, but I don't have an iPhone to test it, and it supports Android Auto through an app called Z-Link. It actually just runs Android Auto standalone on your phone then mirrors it on the headunit display, which works ok but sometimes it causes my phone to spontaneously reboot so I'm not sure what's going on.

- So I sideloaded Android Auto to run standalone on the headunit and it works for the most part, but has some quirks like 'Ok Google' doesn't take navigation commands directly. It says "I'm sorry, I can't display search results in the car". You have to tap "Set Destination" first, then the microphone icon and say your destination. Also standalone Android Auto won't be linked to your phone for calls or text messages.

- I have also tried Headunit Reloaded Emulator to run Android Auto and it works over Wi-Fi.

- I use an app called Carspot WiFi to automatically start a Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone whenever the headunit connects to my phone with Bluetooth.

Apps:
- I got an ELM327 Mini OBD II Bluetooth adapter to read real time data through the Torque app.

- Waze can be run directly on the headunit or through Android Auto.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stubbie Blue; 05-19-2019 at 02:38 PM..
      06-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Installation
I have no experience in installing car stereos but even I found this quite easy. Just get some tools and watch YouTube videos such as https://www.youtube.com/user/fivestarcarstereoinc

Tools:
- nylon trim removal tools
- soldering iron
- wire stripper
- shrink tube
- heat gun
- zip ties
- crimp-on wire connectors

- Remove the wood or aluminum trim piece across the dash.

- Pry the climate control clips at the arrows in the picture. Be careful not to break the face plate.

- The radio has 2 Phillips head screws underneath on the sides holding it in.

- I used a PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 harness (top of picture) while the Joying harness is at the bottom of the picture.

From PAC harness to Joying harness:
Red (Accessory) - Red
Black (Ground) - Black
Orange/White (Illumination) - Orange/White
Blue/White (Amp Turn On) - Orange/Black
Light Green (Parking Brake) - Blue/White. Not really needed, can be overridden in options menu.
Blue/Yellow (Steering Wheel Controls) - Brown

Other Joying wires:
Yellow - To battery positive terminal
RCA - Backup camera video
Orange - Backup camera reverse trigger

PAC wires not used:
3.5mm - Steering Wheel Control Jack
Red/White - +12V Programmable Output
Brown - Steering Wheel recirculation button option
Purple/White (Reverse) Didn't work on my PAC unit, possibly because I have a manual transmission, had to use reverse light instead
Pink - Vehicle Speed Signal
Orange/White - Illumination directly from car harness
White/Black - HS-CAN + Input
White/Red - HS-CAN - Input

Joying wires not used:
White, Gray, Green, Purple and /Black negatives - since using RCA pre-amp outputs
Pink - Steering Wheel Controls KEY2
Blue - Antenna Control

- The PAC unit is also meant to connect to the chime speaker in the kick panel above the pedals. But when I did that there was an intermittent beep every couple of minutes or so, and my Park Distance Control wasn't working. So I disconnected the speaker because it was getting annoying.
UPDATE: I discovered that the solution was to downgrade the firmware to version 1.00.03 on the PAC website. PDC and chimes are now working with no more intermittent beep.

- You can run the battery and backup camera wires from the back of the car under the side sills.

- From behind the headunit, you can run these wires into the passenger side footwell or behind the glove box:
2 x USB ports
GPS Antenna
Battery
Backup Camera

And these into the driver's side:
Chime speaker wire
Bluetooth microphone

- Steering Wheel Controls. I set the PAC RadioPRO to Pioneer/Other but then found that a few signals were picked up by the Joying headunit as the same thing:

Mute / Answer
Preset + / Track +
Preset - / Track -
Source / Phone Menu
Band / VR

So you have to skip one of these duplicates. Also I couldn't get any long press functions to work. I programmed it like this:

Volume + - Volume +
Volume - - Volume -
Voice - VR - 'Ok Google' app in Joying
Phone - Answer
Source - Source
Recirculation - End Call - GPS app in Joying
Track + - Track +
Track - - Track -
Attached Images

Last edited by Stubbie Blue; 10-10-2018 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Backup Camera
I used a Weivision Trunk Handle Backup Camera that you can find on eBay or Amazon:
http://www.weivision.com.cn/product/html/?17.html

It has good 700TVL resolution, and the connector is small enough to fit through the trunk wiring loom. You do this by removing both ends of the loom, and 'worming' the connector through. That is, pushing the connector through a bit while contracting the loom upstream of it, holding the connector from outside the loom, then pushing the loom downstream, and repeat.

I also used a relay so that the camera doesn't draw current from the reverse lights.

However, when the engine is running I get wavy interference in the video. So I ordered a PAC CSS12 noise filter and will see if that helps.

UPDATE: I installed the noise filter but I also improved the ground by connecting the bolt next to the tail light to the main battery grounding point. There's no more interference but I'm not sure if the noise filter or grounding helped more.

I drew in the PAC CSS12 noise filter and additional ground wire and updated the photo.

You have to disconnect the backup cam red wire from the relay (yellow wire on mine) and insert the PAC CSS12 in between them.

The PAC CSS12 has 3 wires:
The red input wire connects to the 87 yellow wire from the relay
The blue filtered output wire connects to the red backup cam wire
The black wire connects to the grounding point

I also used a wire to connect the grounding bolt next to the lights to the main grounding point below that the battery negative is also connected to.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stubbie Blue; 02-18-2019 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
CrimsonFury
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 2013 135is

very nice DIY. I have the stock nav and i was thinking of installing a reverse camera, and the possibility of installing a second android head unit just to run torque pro but im not sure if its possible with the harmon kardon sound system, most of the android head units i see wont work with an amp.

BTW im also in palm beach. ill probably be at the july cars and coffee at the outlets. If you come, i have a Carbon Black 135is with the same oyster leather/aluminum interior as you.
2013 Carbon Black 135is (n55) #166

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFury View Post
very nice DIY. I have the stock nav and i was thinking of installing a reverse camera, and the possibility of installing a second android head unit just to run torque pro but im not sure if its possible with the harmon kardon sound system, most of the android head units i see wont work with an amp.

BTW im also in palm beach. ill probably be at the july cars and coffee at the outlets. If you come, i have a Carbon Black 135is with the same oyster leather/aluminum interior as you.
I'm pretty sure the Bimmertech backup camera retrofit will work with your system. The main connection point is at the data harness for the iDrive screen. So it doesn't have anything to do with the Harman Kardon system. As far as running Torque Pro, you can add SmartView screen mirroring to the retrofit kit to mirror the video of your smartphone to the iDrive Nav screen. The only drawback is you won't be able to have touch capability on the iDrive screen...obviously.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFury View Post

For stock nav there's the BimmerTech reverse camera but it retails for $700!

For Harman Kardon systems I think they use the fiber optic MOST bus, so there are a couple of harnesses that support that:

AXXESS AX-BM90122

Connects2 CTSBM012.2
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Amp...3/352315905774

But they are both around $330 and I'm not sure where you're going to put the headunit if you also have factory nav. Might be easier to just mount a tablet to the CD slot or something.

Nice to see some locals on here. I don't know if I'll go to Cars & Coffee but maybe I'll see you on the road and flash you.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Nice install, and pics/instructions! Gives me ides, even if I have iDrive.
      10-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

I have been speaking to the owner, stubbieblue of the thread and he has been given me guidance on this install and directed me in the right path. Ive ordered everything at his description and ironing out a few odds and ends and i will begin my journey! very excited to do this and thanks stubbie!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

P.S - I want to add that the joying unit feels sturdy, durable and looks GREAT.. very impressed so far hopefully i will be impressed with the functionality too
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Cool install! I noticed that the Joying has a little built-in mic in the bottom left corner of the screen. Is the external mic install necessary, or is it just a matter of better quality? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #11
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Cool install! I noticed that the Joying has a little built-in mic in the bottom left corner of the screen. Is the external mic install necessary, or is it just a matter of better quality? Thanks!
Yes, there is a built-in mic on the screen, but callers would complain that they couldn't hear me over the road noise and voice recognition barely worked. So I installed the external mic and it's a little better but still not great to be honest.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
Yes, there is a built-in mic on the screen, but callers would complain that they couldn't hear me over the road noise and voice recognition barely worked. So I installed the external mic and it's a little better but still not great to be honest.
Stubbie... i was thinking what if i just put the external MIC behind the climate controls clipped onto the back? so i dont have to rip up my A=pillar/route it.. think it would still pick up?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
Stubbie... i was thinking what if i just put the external MIC behind the climate controls clipped onto the back? so i dont have to rip up my A=pillar/route it.. think it would still pick up?
Behind the climate controls would block the sound. Did you mean stuck to the back of the screen poking out above or below? I suppose that could work.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Haha.. nope my dumbass self meant literally behind the head unit... all i have left is to route the mic and stick on the gps antenna somewhere... then test and program. i guess ill mount it to the rear view like you have it and stick my GPS maybe in the corner of the windsheild or on the dash
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Bump + Update

So i finally have everything working.... after going crazy and pulling my teeth out the root cause was i had been sent 2 faulty cameras and the third one worked... After this incident i probably wouldnt reccomend the Weivision camera and go with the Liebmaya or something else that fits the OEM handle...

SO MUCH APPRECIATION TO THE PO! Stubbieblue has been incredible, answering my noobie emails and questions night and day

(if you are super noob like me you may have questions)

THANKS STUBBIE! IM 100%....

P.S - I will bother you one last time for programming, i got my steering wheel working and bluetooth set up but any reccomendations for maps to work? Apps? carplay? etc Or tell me how you set up yours and ill mimic it
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

+Adding before and after

- I chose to have my unit cover the temp and will try to find a way to display it on the headunit, i chose this because i like the flush fit it gives the headunit you cannot see anything behind it at all
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #17
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Thanks for the detailed thread! Pondering this option for the near future
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #18
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite 135i

Hey just wanted to say this is a really nice install! The finished product looks very factory Audi/Mercedes.

Odd question - can you post a picture of the back of your factory HU and the wiring harness? I think I have the same one but am having an audio issue with an aftermarket setup I'm installing. Pretty sure I don't have Logic7/HK (it's an '08 with the 676 radio option) but I was getting no sound from speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
P.S - I will bother you one last time for programming, i got my steering wheel working and bluetooth set up but any reccomendations for maps to work? Apps? carplay? etc Or tell me how you set up yours and ill mimic it
For CarPlay or Android Auto, you just run the ZLINK app, then plug your phone into the Joying's USB port. That's the easiest way to run maps because it will use the data connection on your phone.

If you want to run maps directly on the Joying headunit, it will need a mobile internet connection, e.g. if your cellphone plan allows it, you can start a wi-fi hotspot on your phone. Or, you can download offline maps.

Just setup the Google Play app store with an account and get Google Maps or Waze.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shia_is_my_spirit_animal View Post
Hey just wanted to say this is a really nice install! The finished product looks very factory Audi/Mercedes.

Odd question - can you post a picture of the back of your factory HU and the wiring harness? I think I have the same one but am having an audio issue with an aftermarket setup I'm installing. Pretty sure I don't have Logic7/HK (it's an '08 with the 676 radio option) but I was getting no sound from speakers.
Are you just looking for a wiring diagram for the Quadlock connector? That can be found here: http://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-Au...3_pinout.shtml

My dash is already closed up so I don't have any other photos of the harness.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #21
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
Are you just looking for a wiring diagram for the Quadlock connector? That can be found here: http://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-Au...3_pinout.shtml

My dash is already closed up so I don't have any other photos of the harness.
That's perfect. I searched everywhere and could not find that wiring diagram. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #22
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

anyone else see this? it is pricey at around $900, which in South African Rands is A LOT.

but so much want.

https://www.alpine-electronics.co.za...nits/ilx-f903d

Appreciate 0