BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z trading for 2012 135i

Tinted Tail Lights, flame away

I know I'm going to hear about it, but I was sick this weekend and I wanted to see how the lights would look tinted. I already had a 1/2 bottle of tint spray from like 5 years ago, so it was a no cost experiment. I actually like it. It's definitely too dark, so I may wet sand and compound them to lighten them up a bit. The lights shine through with no interference just like stock.

I plan on going the stealth look for the rest of the car including painting the rims gloss black. I would rather have them powdercoated hyperblack, but it's not worth it as I will be getting new rims in the summer time. I couldn't find any reasonable hyperblack spray can paint minus the duplicolor shadow black. The looks of the rims are starting to grow on me, but I still think they would look better in gloss black. In the front, the upper and lower grill are already painted gloss black.

I will also be painting the trim gloss black today. Is it easy to remove without breaking the trim? From what I researched, it looks like it just pulls off by hand. Pull up and pull back is all I could find. I also installed the duck bill spoiler yesterday too. You gotta love removing that 3m tape residue, it was a blast as always.

I love this forum. It's nice not to have to reinvent the wheel (no pun intended) as far as looks are concerned. The second picture is after installing springs and tints. You can see what a must it is to black out the trim. The last pic is my potential summer rims. The next mod will be the BMW performance side skirts, I'm not a huge fan of the stock version. You guys are always so helpful, thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Nice! Tails a little too dark for my taste, but I am also looking to wrap my window trim from silver to black

What springs did you end up going with? I wanted H&r but there was too much rake, so I think I'm gonna go with eibach
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I personally don't think you can beat the look of the OEM black line tail lights. Yours came out a little dark for my taste, yet the reverse lamps don't look quite smoked enough. Just my opinion, of course. Looks are subjective, and obviously your method was cheaper and easier than swapping assemblies. I guess if the light output through the tint is okay, you should be good to go - that's the main thing I'd be worried about.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 01-25-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob24ert View Post
Nice! Tails a little too dark for my taste, but I am also looking to wrap my window trim from silver to black

What springs did you end up going with? I wanted H&r but there was too much rake, so I think I'm gonna go with eibach
Yeah, the darkness is pretty much uncontrollable with that stuff. I did my best to do a light coat, but it still came out super dark. That's only 1 coat. I can lighten them up with some wetsanding and rubbing compound. I agree, they are too dark. It does make the car flow better from the side to the rear and makes it look wider from the back.

I went with eibach for the same reason. I like it do be a parallel drop. I wish I would have gotten 40 series tires for the back though to fill in a little of the extra gap. Why do they have 35's in the rear but 40's in the front? I also wrapped my trim yesterday, but I didn't like it as much as I do paint.

Last edited by 370z-135i; 01-25-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I personally don't think you can beat the look of the OEM black line tail lights. Yours cam out a little dark for my taste, yet the reverse lamps don't look quite smoked enough. Just my opinion, of course. Looks are subjective, and obviously your method was cheaper and easier than swapping assemblies. I guess if the light output trough the tint is okay, you should be good to go - that's the main thing I'd be worried about.
Yeah, the darkness is pretty much uncontrollable with that stuff. I did my best to do a light coat, but it still came out super dark. That's only 1 coat. I can lighten them up with some wetsanding and rubbing compound. I agree, they are too dark. It does however make the car flow better from the side to the rear and makes it look wider from the back. I like the blackline tail lights as well, but this was quick and free for the time being. I was surprised, the lights shine through without impeding of light whatsoever. You wouldn't even know I had them tinted at night time with the lights on.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I personally don't think you can beat the look of the OEM black line tail lights. Yours cam out a little dark for my taste, yet the reverse lamps don't look quite smoked enough. Just my opinion, of course. Looks are subjective, and obviously your method was cheaper and easier than swapping assemblies. I guess if the light output trough the tint is okay, you should be good to go - that's the main thing I'd be worried about.
more pictures. Way too dark without the lights on. I'll see how much lighter I can make them with sand paper/rubbing compound and go from there. I never really noticed how cool our tail lights are until I took the pictures. One of the cooler sets I have seen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

Imo best way to get black trim, would be to look for a used set of sports package shadow line trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
I must say I'm not a fan. The tint is far too dark and really takes away from the look of the rear of the car. I'm not a big appreciator of tinted lights to begin with. Even LCI blacklines are too dark for my taste. If you ask me, the LCI tail lamps (not blackline) are the sweet spot.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I must say I'm not a fan. The tint is far too dark and really takes away from the look of the rear of the car. I'm not a big appreciator of tinted lights to begin with. Even LCI blacklines are too dark for my taste. If you ask me, the LCI tail lamps (not blackline) are the sweet spot.
Love the blacklines. Perfect for a pre-LCI car like mine, in my opinion.
      01-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Flame I shall then...I don't think I need to say any more
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
just pay up and get some blacklines...

tinted taillights are so cheesy.....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #12
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

If you're asking for flames then to me they look like a home made ricer mod. But to each his own. You will likely get an even amount of likes and dislikes.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #13
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

with the tail lights on its not bad, just when their off its too dark

Glad to see you went with the eibachs. I would love to see more photos of the drop during daytime

I think they went 35 series in the back to keep the same/similar circumference
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #14
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

All good points guys, the more I look at them, the darker they look. I didn't find out about the shadowline lights until 24 hrs after I tinted them. Remember, it was a free project and reversible in a few minutes, so no harm no foul. I do like the shadowline lights, but I would get the side skirts first before replacing the lights.

I'm going to tint them only around the edges and stripe the center on top of the clear portion similar to the black line and see how it looks. I'm sure I'll really hear it for that, but it's a cheap and easy project. Currently, with the lights on they look pretty good, I thought about just driving with the lights on all the time. Either way, I'll keep you posted with pictures if I lighten them up significantly or try the accent tints.

I did know the tinted lights were frowned upon, but figured I may be able to slip mine by. I do like how much meaner it looks without all that red, but it is what it is, borderline lame. I'm surprised how graceful you all have been, I expected way worse comments. Glad I asked. t.

Last edited by 370z-135i; 01-26-2016 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #15
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob24ert View Post
with the tail lights on its not bad, just when their off its too dark

Glad to see you went with the eibachs. I would love to see more photos of the drop during daytime

I think they went 35 series in the back to keep the same/similar circumference
Thanks for the tire response. I still wish they would have matched the rear with 40's, you would think for traction purposes alone (I have no idea to be honest if that would matter either way with that set up). The difference in gap is negligible and I'm probably the only one that notices it. Still only allows 1 finger front and rear. What do you guys think about painting these gloss black as winter rims?

Since it's winter, I haven't taken many photos of the car outside because it basically gets filthy every time I drive it. Here are a few, not the best, but it's better than nothing. I have only had the car a month so far. I love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #16
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

shadowline lights? haven't heard of those
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #17
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

2 things:

1 - Never buy a car from CarMax. They recycle gas. You know that 1991 Pontiac grand prix with a rod knock. Yup, that gas got sucked out, dumped into their tank and put into your 2008+ 135i. Their extended warranty is also crap. It gives them permission to put used or reman parts on your car since the replacement part is at their discretion.

2 - I really wish you would have bought LCI black lines instead of painting your stockers. That fad just needs to go away. You can get the desired look by splitting the tail light and painting the insides. (I've done over 100 sets for various models)
In my opinion, you should clean off that stuff and switch them out for blacklines. Hell, if you're really hell bent on painting those tails, i'll trade you for my 09's.

EDIT - I do like the way your car sits though. Its a nice clean drop.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #18
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillFill View Post
shadowline lights? haven't heard of those
Gotta read the other posts my friend. I found out about them after I did the tint. I'm going to attempt to tint my own version of the shadowline first and if it doesn't look good, I'll remove the tint and put them back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #19
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z-135i View Post
Gotta read the other posts my friend. I found out about them after I did the tint. I'm going to attempt to tint my own version of the shadowline first and if it doesn't look good, I'll remove the tint and put them back to stock.
Interested to see how this turns out, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #20
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
2 things:

1 - Never buy a car from CarMax. They recycle gas. You know that 1991 Pontiac grand prix with a rod knock. Yup, that gas got sucked out, dumped into their tank and put into your 2008+ 135i. Their extended warranty is also crap. It gives them permission to put used or reman parts on your car since the replacement part is at their discretion.

2 - I really wish you would have bought LCI black lines instead of painting your stockers. That fad just needs to go away. You can get the desired look by splitting the tail light and painting the insides. (I've done over 100 sets for various models)
In my opinion, you should clean off that stuff and switch them out for blacklines. Hell, if you're really hell bent on painting those tails, i'll trade you for my 09's.

EDIT - I do like the way your car sits though. Its a nice clean drop.
1. Don't even bring up buying a car from carmax as I have a fantastic story that would deter others from carmax or at least trust them as much as any old guy on the street (I would trust a stranger more probably). Regardless, you all know that finding this car black on black MT un-modded is extremely difficult and not cheap. There were only a few available within a thousand miles and this was the only one that met the criteria. It was a commuter car and mechanically very sound. I learned a ton about buying cars this time around.

2. It's no big deal to take the tint off, just a 5 minute job and back to stock. I am going to try to attempt a spray tint version of the shadowline lights and if it's hideous, I'll just remove the tint entirely. No harm no foul, I just wanted to see how it would look.

So you open up the lights and paint the inside? What is the process of opening them and does it look pretty good? Do you have pictures of a set already done? I'm not dying to switch out the lights, I was just home sick with an old bottle of spray tint I found while cleaning up.

Thank you, the drop definitely helps transform the car.

P.S. Upon seeing another car with black out lights (poorly done, not near as classy as my work, hahaha), I immediately thought, "how cheesy looking." It was still worth doing to keep me entertained for a couple hours why home sick.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Quote:
1. Don't even bring up buying a car from carmax as I have a fantastic story that would deter others from carmax or at least trust them as much as any old guy on the street (I would trust a stranger more probably). Regardless, you all know that finding this car black on black MT un-modded is extremely difficult and not cheap. There were only a few available within a thousand miles and this was the only one that met the criteria. It was a commuter car and mechanically very sound. I learned a ton about buying cars this time around.
I came across a bit gruff in my previous post. I apologize. I'll PM you about the CarMax thing but my history with them isn't the greatest.

I definitely know the struggle with finding that unmodded 6MT 135i. Its very hard to find locally. I'm glad you found a good clean ride.

Since you're new to the community, a few things to research are:

High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) - was it replaced under warranty?
Spark plugs - have they been replaced?
Carbon Cleaning (Walnut shell blasting) - was it done?

Quote:
2. It's no big deal to take the tint off, just a 5 minute job and back to stock. I am going to try to attempt a spray tint version of the shadowline lights and if it's hideous, I'll just remove the tint entirely. No harm no foul, I just wanted to see how it would look.
Nice. Can't hurt to check it out. In my opinion, try to find the black window trim, that might enhance the look of the black tail lights. Just a suggestion I guess

Quote:
So you open up the lights and paint the inside? What is the process of opening them and does it look pretty good? Do you have pictures of a set already done? I'm not dying to switch out the lights, I was just home sick with an old bottle of spray tint I found while cleaning up.

Thank you, the drop definitely helps transform the car.
Exactly. The lights have to be cut open with a dremel. It sounds scary but its actually not too bad. When I upgrade to LCI tails i'll try it on my old ones and do a write-up. You essentially cut around the outside in the backing of the tail light. Seal with seam sealer.

Congrats on the ride and welcome to the club
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #22
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
I came across a bit gruff in my previous post. I apologize. I'll PM you about the CarMax thing but my history with them isn't the greatest.

I definitely know the struggle with finding that unmodded 6MT 135i. Its very hard to find locally. I'm glad you found a good clean ride.

Since you're new to the community, a few things to research are:

High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) - was it replaced under warranty?
Spark plugs - have they been replaced?
Carbon Cleaning (Walnut shell blasting) - was it done?

Nice. Can't hurt to check it out. In my opinion, try to find the black window trim, that might enhance the look of the black tail lights. Just a suggestion I guess

Exactly. The lights have to be cut open with a dremel. It sounds scary but its actually not too bad. When I upgrade to LCI tails i'll try it on my old ones and do a write-up. You essentially cut around the outside in the backing of the tail light. Seal with seam sealer.

Congrats on the ride and welcome to the club
Hey, thanks buddy for all the helpful replies. I am painting the chrome trim in a gloss black. It will look solid from a short distance and that's all that matters for me (no car shows or anyone scrutinizing details). No worries on the carmax comment my friend, I am right there with you. I got crap for my carmax story as well (some people on here are brutal, but no different than many other negative people in society). I'll post my story if you send me yours, it's pretty entertaining and ended well.

As far as the maintenance issues, I can't really do much in the way of finding out the records. Carmax doesn't have them and I believe the dealer will not divulge info prior to your ownership (read a lot of stories when I was looking for maintenance info prior to purchase). The warranty just ended, but from the way the car was maintained, I would have to hope the prior owner took care of it. If changing the plugs isn't a big deal, I can definitely do that. The carbon cleaning is new to me so I'll have to research and see what that's all about. I didn't purchase the warranty as I will probably only put roughly 10-12k miles on this bad boy before trading again I'm sure. I only drive about 3500 miles a year (3 min commute to work) and I have a bike for the summer time. I should hope it can handle the abuse for 10k miles.

The car purrs like a kitten and performs flawlessly with the JB4 on map five w/ 93+ octane and BMS intake.

As far as the lights go, I'm definitely not serious enough about them to open them up. I'll try tinting from the outside and if it looks crappy, I'll just go back to stock. I would find a way to screw them up for sure if I opened them. I'm sure in the future I will grab the shadow line lights as they do look very clean.

All in all with the trials and tribulations over the last month, I love the car and I'm so glad I made the switch from my 370z. So much potential and fun to drive. Thanks again for the comments, always appreciated.
Appreciate 0