BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #23
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Do the akra or lightweight have a lot of drone? What's the least droney exhaust out there?

Love the look of the lightweight but sound is more important!

I actually love the stock exhaust. It's now showy or cheesy. It gets better with more miles...
      07-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Do the akra or lightweight have a lot of drone? What's the least droney exhaust out there?

I actually love the stock exhaust. It's now showy or cheesy. It gets better with more miles...
Sound is the #1 reason I went with Lightweight over Akra. Also, it's overall lighter titanium than Akra..the thickness of the titanium isn't as thick as Akra so it shaves a bit more of the weight.

There is zero drone with the Lightweight that I notice. I have AR downpipes and stock mids—not sure if there would be drone with other mids but I don't hear any.

I also preferred the look of the tips of the LW—I never liked the carbon tips of the Akra as they blended in with my diffuser and you couldn't really see them from far. The titanium tips of the Akra were nice, but no longer available unless you find a good used set.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #25
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

Sound is the #1 reason I went with Lightweight over Akra. Also, it's overall lighter titanium than Akra..the thickness of the titanium isn't as thick as Akra so it shaves a bit more of the weight.

There is zero drone with the Lightweight that I notice. I have AR downpipes and stock mids—not sure if there would be drone with other mids but I don't hear any.

I also preferred the look of the tips of the LW—I never liked the carbon tips of the Akra as they blended in with my diffuser and you couldn't really see them from far. The titanium tips of the Akra were nice, but no longer available unless you find a good used set.
Thank you man! Very tempting!!
      07-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #26
800 monster
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 1M

Exhaust

Sorry to all if I'm doing this incorrectly but I am new to the forum, first post in fact!
I have a Dinan cat back with custom 3.5" center section with no resonators and I get so many compliments on the sound. I'm told the sound is similar to a 2JZ sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #27
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I got the Akrapovic axle-back, big improvement. That alone might be enough for you OP. I bought it from HP Autosport (Harold). Go to Vendor Classifieds and PM him, or PM me and I can get you his info.

UPdate: Akrapovic axle-back is now paired with the MadDad mid.

Not sure if I will keep the MadDad or not, it is definitely louder, but I feel like the Akra with valves open was possibly good enough for me. I will probably drive it for a few months and see how I like it. Previously, I started the car, opened the valves and drove off. Now, in many cases I leave the valves closed until driving on more open roads. I am always closed in an out of my neighborhood. Glad to have the button.

Last edited by seis-speed; 10-02-2018 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #28
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Cool

Video of the Lightweight Titanium Exhaust muffler and OEM N55 midpipe on my car - enjoy!
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2426.00
ayao627.50
      10-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #29
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #30
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat15 View Post

Video of the Lightweight Titanium Exhaust muffler and OEM N55 midpipe on my car - enjoy!
What do you use to clean the exhaust tips...I'm trying to keep them in perfect condition so curious what you use
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:01 AM   #31
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
What do you use to clean the exhaust tips...I'm trying to keep them in perfect condition so curious what you use
I must admit that I have not cleaned them much since I have them installed. But I was in contact with the boss of Lightweight before buying it, and he wrote me that I can use usual "Handreinigungspaste" (hand cleaning paste?). Take a towel, make it wet, apply cleaning paste, clean the tips and dry it with another, dry towel - finish. I should do it more often as without cleaning, the titanium blue finish is invisible... hope it helps!
Appreciate 0