BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #1387
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Never had pair of squat shoes besides wrestling shoes, want my Heel lower not higher
True "Olympic lifting" shoes are made with elevated heels.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #1388
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

My gym has a total of 8-45lbs bumper plates. I dont like when guys use them all for squatting when they have the hexagonal ones there as well.

Bumper plates should be used by people who will use their "bumperness"
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #1389
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Never had pair of squat shoes besides wrestling shoes, want my Heel lower not higher
Don't knock it til you try it.

Used to be against it- but found them on sale so said wth.

Helps get even lower in the hole. True ass to grass especially if you have poor/sub par hip mobility.

I use them for high volume sets, then switch back to chucks so that i don't become too reliant on them. Also feels safer using them when hitting anything over 315 since the elevated heel helps you push yourself out of the hole.
      04-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #1390
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Hmm interesting may give a shot. Heel up can sit back more without being off balance possibly?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #1391
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hmm interesting may give a shot. Heel up can sit back more without being off balance possibly?
It essentially enables you to maintain better angle, depth, and alignment, while minimizes the knee over the toe effect which often tilts the body forward.

Good trick instead of buying shoes is just use 5 or 10lb plates under the heels. Space accoedingingly prior to taking the weight, and make sure you equally distribute your weight on both the toe and heel.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #1392
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performancedieselpros View Post
Quote:
It essentially enables you to maintain better angle, depth, and alignment, while minimizes the knee over the toe effect which often tilts the body forward.

Good trick instead of buying shoes is just use 5 or 10lb plates under the heels. Space accoedingingly prior to taking the weight, and make sure you equally distribute your weight on both the toe and heel.
I tried the method before buying and it is a cheap trick. Although I get why people do it- whether they're using really light weight- or trying to correct the infamous butt wink.

With lifting shoes- the elevated heel+strap across the foot to lock down the foot is definitely way more effective in my book.

For example- I'd never try 405with plates under my heels. Too risky.

However with my romaleos- anything over 315, I definitely use them.
      04-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #1393
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
I tried the method before buying and it is a cheap trick. Although I get why people do it- whether they're using really light weight- or trying to correct the infamous butt wink.

With lifting shoes- the elevated heel+strap across the foot to lock down the foot is definitely way more effective in my book.

For example- I'd never try 405with plates under my heels. Too risky.

However with my romaleos- anything over 315, I definitely use them.
Yeah, it's more just to get a feel for the motion. The strap is definitely key! Keeps the wretched toe dive to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #1394
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
That's weird most people get forward and have problem staying on heels.
Yea I've always had the backward falling tendency. Also, it always seems like lower back buckles and I can't maintain proper form. I really don't get it. If I do regular body squats, or front bar bell squats, its much better form. But the second I put the bar on my back, my form is complete garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Nike romaleo 3s are 100 bucks now if you're near an outlet store
I may give those a shot for that price point! Thanks

Quote:
If your lifting in running shoes I'd expect you to fall back since the toe box usually is slightly thicker than the heel.

Try barefooted and see how it goes.
I use Nike Free 1.0's on leg days, as barefoot as it can get with a shoe. Tried with chucks too, still get the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #1395
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

It's just hard for me to picture how having shoes tilt you forward will help me to sit back or keep knees from going over toes. It's counterintuitive.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #1396
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I hate when the parade of chicks with bars on their shoulders come marching down the aisle I'm walking, and I have to dive into the in-use machines to get to the bathroom
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #1397
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Kinda counts for this thread, but I’m supremely annoyed at my shit form for barbell squats. I just can’t get it down right, I’ve been trying for what seems like years now. I always just feel like I’m gonna fall backwards off my heel, I’m contemplating trying to get those Nike or Adidas squat shoes with the little support in the heel

I mainly just stick to the leg press and hack squat machine.
I was feeling the same way so I actually got a few training sessions from one of the competition olympic lifters that works at my gym. So worth the money. I was only missing one key thing from my form (was not keeping my core tight as well as I could have been, got a few pointers and exercises to help strengthen) It has done wonders for my squat and deadlift.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #1398
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
It's just hard for me to picture how having shoes tilt you forward will help me to sit back or keep knees from going over toes. It's counterintuitive.
Your natural balance will make your butt sit back more when your heels are elevated to remain neutral. It just puts your body in better alignment. I didn't think it would make a big difference until I actually tried it.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #1399
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

If you are squating you absolutely want a shoe with a firm base under your feet, not a shoe with an half inch of foam or air pocket in the heel. That kind of instability under load can cause all kinds of problems.

Either a Squat shoe “Olympic lifter” or a flat shoe ie...Reebok Nano, Nike Metcon etc.

I will alternate squating days in my Lifters or my Nanos. You do not want to become reliant on the Lifters. I also do the same with Olympic lifts regarding my shoes. Also applies to wearing a belt. Some days yes other days no.

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 04-14-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #1400
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
If you are squating you absolutely want a shoe with a firm base under your feet, not a shoe with an half inch of foam or air pocket in the heel. That kind of instability under load can cause all kinds of problems.

Either a Squat shoe “Olympic lifter” or a flat shoe ie...Reebok Nano, Nike Metcon etc.

I will alternate squating days in my Lifters or my Nanos. You do not want to become reliant on the Lifters. I also do the same with Olympic lifts regarding my shoes. Also applies to wearing a belt. Some days yes other days no.
The last part can't be emphasized enough!

Too many people rely on aid devices to mask imbalances! Especially the over the top use of knee braces, belts, and let's not forget the king.... lifting straps! Learn to hold shit people lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #1401
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #1402
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
The last part can't be emphasized enough!

Too many people rely on aid devices to mask imbalances! Especially the over the top use of knee braces, belts, and let's not forget the king.... lifting straps! Learn to hold shit people lol.
Agreed brother!!!!

If you have bad ankle mobility stretch and mobilize your ankles!!!

If you want a weak grip use straps all the time.

Like PDP said learn to hold shit and strengthen that grip! I will only use straps when approaching 80% and higher of my 1RM.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #1403
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Did some reading and appears depends on type of squat you perform whether a lifting shoe is favorable. For narrow quad dominant squats with more forward knee movment a raised heel shoe seems to be more of a benefit than to a wide based squat dominated by hip and glute. I tend to be the later but also suffer some back issues while squating so possibly a lifted heel would help reach depth while remaining more upright. I also have limited range of motion with my right knee due to previous surgeries.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #1404
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Did some reading and appears depends on type of squat you perform whether a lifting shoe is favorable. For narrow quad dominant squats with more forward knee movment a raised heel shoe seems to be more of a benefit than to a wide based squat dominated by hip and glute. I tend to be the later but also suffer some back issues while squating so possibly a lifted heel would help reach depth while remaining more upright. I also have limited range of motion with my right knee due to previous surgeries.
Just remember the closer into your frame the more the more quad in play. The wider is more hamstring and glute. I'm going to be the stick in the mud and say if you've had knee surgeries in the past you really should avoid compaction in the joint and really stick to fixed motion exercises. In regards to the back issue, do you mean stiff feeling with a slight stabbing sensation or.....?

The knee is one of those things where once you hurt it the probability of reinjuring it is off the charts. Especially the ball and socket joints such as shoulder and hip.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #1405
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Well that's not gonna happen its been 15 ish years since acl, mcl repair, and meniscus inner half removed. Back I get really tight to point of cramping in muscles lot of time when I squat and dead in my lower back. I also have shoulder and elbow issues. Still bench fairly heavy. Glutton.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #1406
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well that's not gonna happen its been 15 ish years since acl, mcl repair, and meniscus inner half removed. Back I get really tight to point of cramping in muscles lot of time when I squat and dead in my lower back. I also have shoulder and elbow issues. Still bench fairly heavy. Glutton.
You ever damage your lower back? Car wreck, sports, life? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #1407
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Fractured vertebrae in lower back, never knew about it showed up on xray. Probably just combination of things now being old fart lifting. Have had motorcycle accidents on dirt bike and street, as well as car street and track but never been to doctor over any of it.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 04-15-2018 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #1408
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
I use my cheap ass converse with flat soles. Ass to the ground man. Sometimes slightly more open stance helps.
Appreciate 0