-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

topCar comparo. BMW 1M vs Cayman S vs Audi RS3

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
1M wins it!!! They call it the The Goldilocks car! Not too much, Not too little, but just right!

Name:  topcar1.jpg
Views: 16972
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  topcar2.jpg
Views: 16642
Size:  166.2 KB

Name:  topcar3.jpg
Views: 16575
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  topcar4.jpg
Views: 16596
Size:  248.2 KB

Name:  topcar5.jpg
Views: 16531
Size:  226.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
1M wins it!!! They call it the The Goldilocks car! Not too much, Not too little, but just right!
I think you misread... the 1M was 2nd place in this article
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen White F10 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
I think you misread... the 1M was 2nd place in this article
I don't think he misread, but you might not have read the whole article. The Cayman wins in all out performance. However at the end of the article, the author claims the 1M is the car he'd buy, because it is the best all around car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
DavidMc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Like other comparisons to the Cayman R, they give the Porche credit for being a little better at handling, but here again, if it was their money they'd buy the 1M. I believe C&D said the same thing. In my mind that's a win for the 1M. It is my money.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

when i read it, i really thought it was pretty clear; they pick the porche. it's the drivers car that wins. the 1M is not too much this, not too much that. last was the audi. not sure how you guys are getting that the 1M wins it just because they called it the "goldilocks" car. it definitely wins in our book though, and of course we're biased.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dub View Post
I don't think he misread, but you might not have read the whole article. The Cayman wins in all out performance. However at the end of the article, the author claims the 1M is the car he'd buy, because it is the best all around car.
The article is "SA's best drivers car". They state "The Porsche is the best driver's car here". How anyone can misinterpret the result of the specific thing they were testing here is beyond me.

The "Goldilocks" comment however makes the point that many of us care about - in this company, the 1M is the best compromise for the real world, for people who don't want a car that has too many compromises in pursuit of "sportiness" or "driver appeal".
      11-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
when i read it, i really thought it was pretty clear; they pick the porche. it's the drivers car that wins. the 1M is not too much this, not too much that. last was the audi. not sure how you guys are getting that the 1M wins it just because they called it the "goldilocks" car. it definitely wins in our book though, and of course we're biased.
Granted; however, the "best driver's car" is only truly the best driver's car when conditions are favorable -- in track-type situations or on better-than-average roads, and certainly not for transporting more than one passenger and a couple of average-sized travel or grocery bags. It's not as useful every day. So, one might argue that the title of "best driver's car" comes with a caveat.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Lets all admit we are 1M fans and let article writers say whatever they want without trying to spin it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

It all depends how you look at the things, I am an owner and a fan of 1M but a year and half ago I was lusting for and planning to buy a Porsche Boxster Spyder which is basically the same with Cayman R as you all know. In fact, since Porsche's engine is not as powerful and much less torquey than the 1M it really tells us that the mid-engine rear drive chassis of the Cayman R is more efficient than the 1Ms, and it should be: it is a lighter, lower, mid-engined sports car for just 2 people! On the other hand, if we take the 1M it is also surprising that this sedan shaped, 4 passanger, relatively high and not so light car gets that close to Cayman R which is also something to applaud. I also would and did choose the 1Ms "best compromise" solution since I myself pay for my cars not the daddy and this is all about M cars in general.

Just before seeing this thread I have finished reading my digital copy of the Evo Car of the Year Issue and that's again, a huge success for our 1M; among the eight judges of Evo six of them put it on top of Cayman R as they did earlier this year on their comparo between 1M, TT RS, Cayman R and Nissan 370Z. In fact, one judge (Catchpole, the rally driver and test editor) put it as his number 1 and three other judges (Chris Harris, Meaden and Green, arguably like Catchpole the better drivers among the judges) put the 1M as their number 2, all three of them putting it just behind Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0, which is the winner of this year. And we all know the cars that 1M left behind; Lambo. Aventador, Ferrrari FF, Lotus Elise CR, Cayman R, new BMW M5 (pick your guess as how BMW management will read this result), Jag, Aston etc. It is just 2 points shy of Mc Laren and 3 of the GT3 RS 4.0.

Chris Harris is quoted somewhere saying "the mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that." That summarizes for me everything about this car.

I have a strong feeling after reading all the things there...and everywhere else and also driving this car almost every day, that we have to stop justifying obvious merits or relative weaknesses of this car already, and we have to really stop defending it against some occasional haters (majority of whom happens to own another BMW!). What else the 1M has to proove, it is genuinly a great car and possibly the performance bargain of the...hmm decade?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I have a strong feeling after reading all the things there...and everywhere else and also driving this car almost every day, that we have to stop justifying obvious merits or relative weaknesses of this car already, and we have to really stop defending it against some occasional haters (majority of whom happens to own another BMW!). What else the 1M has to proove, it is genuinly a great car and possibly the performance bargain of the...hmm decade?
Very well said. This echoes my sentiments exactly
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
It all depends how you look at the things, I am an owner and a fan of 1M but a year and half ago I was lusting for and planning to buy a Porsche Boxster Spyder which is basically the same with Cayman R as you all know. In fact, since Porsche's engine is not as powerful and much less torquey than the 1M it really tells us that the mid-engine rear drive chassis of the Cayman R is more efficient than the 1Ms, and it should be: it is a lighter, lower, mid-engined sports car for just 2 people! On the other hand, if we take the 1M it is also surprising that this sedan shaped, 4 passanger, relatively high and not so light car gets that close to Cayman R which is also something to applaud. I also would and did choose the 1Ms "best compromise" solution since I myself pay for my cars not the daddy and this is all about M cars in general.

Just before seeing this thread I have finished reading my digital copy of the Evo Car of the Year Issue and that's again, a huge success for our 1M; among the eight judges of Evo six of them put it on top of Cayman R as they did earlier this year on their comparo between 1M, TT RS, Cayman R and Nissan 370Z. In fact, one judge (Catchpole, the rally driver and test editor) put it as his number 1 and three other judges (Chris Harris, Meaden and Green, arguably like Catchpole the better drivers among the judges) put the 1M as their number 2, all three of them putting it just behind Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0, which is the winner of this year. And we all know the cars that 1M left behind; Lambo. Aventador, Ferrrari FF, Lotus Elise CR, Cayman R, new BMW M5 (pick your guess as how BMW management will read this result), Jag, Aston etc. It is just 2 points shy of Mc Laren and 3 of the GT3 RS 4.0.

Chris Harris is quoted somewhere saying "the mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that." That summarizes for me everything about this car.

I feel the same way and think it is a great summary of the overall reviews of the 1M this year. I can't help but pointing out again the Price of the 1M when comparing with all these other cars it's been compared with, not as a great car for such a low price, but rather BMW has given us such a great overall car at a great Value. The 1M is actually cheaper than the E30 M3 in today's dollars, and will more than likely be the cheapest M car we will see from BMW.

At the end of the day the choice of the car and how I feel about it is all that matters. I really don't need a critic either for or against the 1M to help me decide how much I love this car.

It's the car I have waited for from BMW since the 1972 2002tii. The only way I could be happier with the car is if I had two of them.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks Redadair and same here about fantasy of owning two of this car; I could use a BSM, a totally blacked out one too
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
emathis
Private
Rep
Drives: X6//M + 1series V8

What else the 1M has to proove, it is genuinly a great car and possibly the performance bargain of the...hmm decade?[/QUOTE]

You're more than right in your thoughts.
Honestly, the Cayman R is a great car, but it's to expensive. Now, in terms of track performance, there's nothing better to me than a GT3 RS.
Considering however that the majority of us will buy a 1M not at first for track use, I can only confirm that the 1M is the best price/performance car you can buy for your daily use.
And save your pennys to buy spare tyres for the GT3 RS on the track
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathis View Post
Now, in terms of track performance, there's nothing better to me than a GT3 RS.
GT3 RS 4.0
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:

i have been saying the 1m is the best looking car in the current bmw line up for awhile now. not a big fan of the regular 1 series, but the 1m has the stance, the fenders, everything.

all the reviews are positive, so it's a winner in my book.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
jungfrau
Rep
Drives: e 90

well, the 1-series really is great to drive and the M probably is just fabulous...
but I'm afraid it will just remain as one of the ugliest bmws ever made.
a bmw should do more than the 1.
so I think we have no subject in here.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ASPP 135i Cab, E90 M3, M235i

I think the UK Top Gear review really says it all - from BMW's toughest critic J Clarkson!!

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
It all depends how you look at the things, I am an owner and a fan of 1M but a year and half ago I was lusting for and planning to buy a Porsche Boxster Spyder which is basically the same with Cayman R as you all know.

I saw a Boxster Spyder on the road this past weekend... it had the top up.... and it looked awful actually.... It was this weird sort of tent contraption and the top had 4 mounting points at the C pillar... The car was black with the big Porsche logos in white on the side... it just didnt look right at all.

Basically..... it was designed to look good with the top down. they shouldnt even offer a top.

I found this video and can't bear to watch it again... someone count how many steps this process is..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-29-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
rmani
Buys too many toys...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Ferrari 360

good read thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Cool. 1M wins the second place slot.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Welcome!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I found this video and can't bear to watch it again... someone count how many steps this process is..
I'm sure the process is at least 2x faster than the gentleman in the video. My grandmother moves much faster than him.

I would have to say the Boxster Spyder in white or silver (with top off) is one of the best looking cars out there.