BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
Lmfaoo_jose
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i,1994 bmw 318i

Coolant leak when car gets up to temp.

Good evening guys,

About a week ago I came back from a Popeyes chicken run late at night and when I went to my car in the AM I noticed a big puddle under the front passenger side… ultimately it's from the water pump and thermostat area but I'm unsure what to replace, it leaks in drops when parked and when up to temp it leaks in streams.

I also noticed my water pump bolts were loose when I put my car on the lift.

Should I drain the coolant and look for maybe a missing clamp? Or should I go ahead and order a new water pump?

Only suggesting the clamp theory due to loose bolts.

TIA guys, any and all coolant leak advice is appreciated since I come from M50s where I just leave it alone and it lives forever
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

You don't mention how many miles you have, but I'd go ahead and replace the water pump and thermostat now since you're going to be replacing some hoses at the very least. They're really not THAT expensive and they'll go out eventually. You might as well tackle everything at once and be done with it.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
soursha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90, E90 328i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
You don't mention how many miles you have, but I'd go ahead and replace the water pump and thermostat now since you're going to be replacing some hoses at the very least. They're really not THAT expensive and they'll go out eventually. You might as well tackle everything at once and be done with it.
I just did my WP/Thermostat with a similar leak and couldn't find the issue. My old pump was definitely leaking though but it's still leaking from the general area. So far i've replaced the WP/thermostat and the thermostat to cylinder head flange with an aluminum one as well as the OFHG/Oil cooler gasket and it's still leaking.
Appreciate 0