BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

How bad can the catch can install go?

So I have the Riss Racing Oil Catch Can sitting in my garage and I'm wondering if I should install it. So far everything I've tried from Riss has been troublesome. For instance the holes on their exhaust and downpipes they just sent me don't match and the downpipes can't be put on with the sensors in place because the bung holes are badly placed. Also they never test fitted the plenum with the new steering reservoir bracket before sending that out and tried to claim it fits. So we know there's all sorts of issues there.

So how is the catch can? Are there potential problem areas? If I get part way through the install will I find that there are parts that don't fit and then be completely screwed? Or is this a situation where it pretty much can't go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Install was pretty smooth for me. One of the hoses was a tight fit and a couple of the BMW clips were a pain to remove. Just don;t drop a bolt or you will have to remove the undertray to get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
the only trouble i had was with the bmw clips because i had never encountered anything like them before...once that's out of the way, it goes smoothly..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Yeah those clips are a PITA. I also had to rebend my bracket with a hammer to get it to fit right. I also hear the bracket can rust so you might want to spray it with some rustoleum before mounting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikelol View Post
Yeah those clips are a PITA. I also had to rebend my bracket with a hammer to get it to fit right. I also hear the bracket can rust so you might want to spray it with some rustoleum before mounting it.
Same those clips suck.. one snapped for me.. booo.. and ya the RR stuff hmm.. install is sometimes a beep..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Overall, the install went Ok for me and I am happy with the product.

The biggest challenge is to un-clip the parts attaching to the discharge and intake hole. Especailly the driver side, you better watch out not to break those plastic clips. To be honest with you, I probably trust myself taking time to un-clip the parts then a machanic who never install this thing before. If they broke the clips and put things back for you, you will never notice it at the beginning untill the tube fell off then you have to replace the broken parts and re-install again.

Putting it back together is a breeze except I found a bracket was missing at the end of the installation. RR is going to send me the missing bracket and at the mean time, I tied the oil catch can to the side of the car and it works for now.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
jaybigboy34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

So I pretty much have a stupid question. What is the purpose of the catch can?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I believe it is suppose to condense and remove the oil vapor from getting deposit onto the inside wall of the air-cooler tubs which will eventually lower your air-cooler's efficiency.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybigboy34 View Post
So I pretty much have a stupid question. What is the purpose of the catch can?
Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I believe it is suppose to condense and remove the oil vapor from getting deposit onto the inside wall of the air-cooler tubs which will eventually lower your air-cooler's efficiency.
If you ever take out the DDV on a car that's been driven pretty hard you will see a noticeable amount of oil built up in there. It can get pretty bad. So that means the oil is getting throughout the intercooler and the manifold and other places where it probably shouldn't be. The catch can is supposed to keep that from happening.
Appreciate 0