BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

TCKline Coilover w/ Camber Plates Install - Noise?

I had some time this weekend to install some TcKline coilovers in my 08' 135i this weekend. When I took it out for a test drive, I could hear some noise coming from the front. It's almost like I can hear the springs groaning/compressing while I'm driving (mostly under 30mph) up front, rears are quiet. No clunks or anything making me think somethings wrong.

I did have some confusion on that spacer that goes inbetween the camber plate/shock tower. I ended up installing the spacer with the driver/passenger arrow pointed forward like the sticker indicated, but couldn't find 100% if this was the correct orientation.

Current ride height set to 13" Rear and 12.8" front (from wheel center to top of fender). I have not gotten an alignment yet.

Is this normal for solid spherical camber plates? Is there something I missed in the install? What does everyone use to lube their spherical camber plates

I've had many different sets of coilover with camber plate setups in other cars (bilstein pss10 w/ turner camber plates in my e46 m3) and never had this amount of noise. I've never had any solid spherical camber plates though. Even the turner motorsports plates have some delrin inside.

Thanks,
Eric
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Did you put thrust sheets on the lower perch?
      03-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Did you put thrust sheets on the lower perch?
Thanks for the reply! I have not heard of thrust sheets before. I don't believe the TCK coilovers came with any.
Just googled and only came up with some thrust sheets/bearings from Swift springs. Are these necessary to kill the road noise?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo963 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have not heard of thrust sheets before. I don't believe the TCK coilovers came with any.
Just googled and only came up with some thrust sheets/bearings from Swift springs. Are these necessary to kill the road noise?
So you have a couple possibilities. If the noise is coming from the springs then highly possible thrust sheets will fix it. You'll need the 60mm variety for the TCK front coils I believe.

Could also be your control arms throwing a hissy due to ride height change. Retorquing the m at height usually fixes this.

Or it's the plates, but my plates were quiet.
asbrr543.00
      03-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So you have a couple possibilities. If the noise is coming from the springs then highly possible thrust sheets will fix it. You'll need the 60mm variety for the TCK front coils I believe.

Could also be your control arms throwing a hissy due to ride height change. Retorquing the m at height usually fixes this.

Or it's the plates, but my plates were quiet.
Hmm, i might have to hold off on scheduling my alignment then if it's going to involve taking the front coilovers apart to install the thrust sheets. I am thinking it sounds like the spring pinging from trying to turn a little. I did notice the bottom diameter of the spring was extremely tight on the lower perch. Pretty much only "snapped" into place once i lowered the car slowly and the weight of the car popped it into place.

Driving seems fine, sure it's louder than stock, but this shouldn't hurt anything driving like this right? Kind of debating thrust sheets or not if it doesn't hurt anything, i did not enjoy installing these at all and would hate to do it again lol
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Hmm, i might have to hold off on scheduling my alignment then if it's going to involve taking the front coilovers apart to install the thrust sheets. I am thinking it sounds like the spring pinging from trying to turn a little. I did notice the bottom diameter of the spring was extremely tight on the lower perch. Pretty much only "snapped" into place once i lowered the car slowly and the weight of the car popped it into place.

Driving seems fine, sure it's louder than stock, but this shouldn't hurt anything driving like this right? Kind of debating thrust sheets or not if it doesn't hurt anything, i did not enjoy installing these at all and would hate to do it again lol
I really think thrust sheets are what you need based on the description....
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:

If you're hearing a pinging sound I really recommend putting thrust sheets in. They're like $25 and will help your car sound, not broken.

All you need to do is take the top 3 nuts off the strut tower, lower it down, lean the strut out of the wheel well, and use a (I think) 12mm and 22mm combo like in my build thread to loosen and remove the top nut. Pull the camber plate and spring off. Put sheets on the lower perch and reverse to reassemble. The top nut isnt a high torque item so german torque spec (gutentite) with a 3/8" drive wrench is enough.

Reference for photo proof that it can be done.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...4&postcount=92

If you didn't retorque your control arms at the subframe I really recommend it. They're rubber bushings and will preload, if it's enough preload they will wear out prematurely.

Good luck!
asbrr543.00
      03-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
I really think thrust sheets are what you need based on the description....
I agree, didn’t know these were a thing before today. Most coilovers I had in the past come with something similar already.

Quote:
If you're hearing a pinging sound I really recommend putting thrust sheets in. They're like $25 and will help your car sound, not broken.

All you need to do is take the top 3 nuts off the strut tower, lower it down, lean the strut out of the wheel well, and use a (I think) 12mm and 22mm combo like in my build thread to loosen and remove the top nut. Pull the camber plate and spring off. Put sheets on the lower perch and reverse to reassemble. The top nut isnt a high torque item so german torque spec (gutentite) with a 3/8" drive wrench is enough.

Reference for photo proof that it can be done.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...4&postcount=92

If you didn't retorque your control arms at the subframe I really recommend it. They're rubber bushings and will preload, if it's enough preload they will wear out prematurely.

Good luck!
Thank you sir. Might just have to bite the bullet and take them back apart and hold off on an alignment. Gives me the opportunity to readjust my front height (was aiming for 13” all around). Would you say it’s necessary to do the thrust sheets on top and below of the spring? Or just the lower perch? Also wondering if it’s worth doing them on the rear springs also even tho they don’t make any noise.

Just need to find a store that is still shipping regularly... I found them on HPA but being in Cali, not sure if they're shipping (been waiting on my Evo Racewerks oil coolers for 3 weeks now). Might go through MAP for the thrust sheets.

As far as retorquing the control arm, this needs to be done on a lift while suspension is compressed right? I might be able to redo it with the car on ramps.

Also, can anyone confirm if the camber plates were installed in the correct orientation? It makes sense since I can slide the camber plate to give me +\- camber. Just want to make sure tho.

Thanks!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
I agree, didn’t know these were a thing before today. Most coilovers I had in the past come with something similar already.

Thank you sir. Might just have to bite the bullet and take them back apart and hold off on an alignment. Gives me the opportunity to readjust my front height (was aiming for 13” all around). Would you say it’s necessary to do the thrust sheets on top and below of the spring? Or just the lower perch? Also wondering if it’s worth doing them on the rear springs also even tho they don’t make any noise.

Just need to find a store that is still shipping regularly... I found them on HPA but being in Cali, not sure if they're shipping (been waiting on my Evo Racewerks oil coolers for 3 weeks now). Might go through MAP for the thrust sheets.

As far as retorquing the control arm, this needs to be done on a lift while suspension is compressed right? I might be able to redo it with the car on ramps.

Also, can anyone confirm if the camber plates were installed in the correct orientation? It makes sense since I can slide the camber plate to give me +\- camber. Just want to make sure tho.

Thanks!!!
I just did lower sheets when I had TCK coils I believe.

I buy all my swift springs products from KamiSpeed.

You can loosen and retorque the inboard control arms with the hub jacked to ride height with the car on jack stands.

Dunno on the camber plates, o always had to mark mine because I'm hopeless figuring it out.
      03-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just did lower sheets when I had TCK coils I believe.

I buy all my swift springs products from KamiSpeed.

You can loosen and retorque the inboard control arms with the hub jacked to ride height with the car on jack stands.

Dunno on the camber plates, o always had to mark mine because I'm hopeless figuring it out.
Thank you for all the recommendations/tips. I'm going to find some swift thrust sheets and do the front coils and re-evaluate if that's what I was hearing. Unfortunately Kamispeed is out of stock on the 60mm thrust sheets. Just emailed a few other distributors on their shipping status due to COVID.
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3232.50
      03-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, Tundra, B8S4

ECS lists them as a direct ship item from Swift.....
      03-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-R View Post
ECS lists them as a direct ship item from Swift.....
Thanks! I ended up contacting Harold at HPA and placed an order for the thrust sheets last night and had tracking # in minutes. Tracking says they'll be here in NC tomorrow from california... can't beat that! They rule haha
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all that chimed in about the Swift thrust sheets...

I just installed them on my front coilovers and they did the trick. No more annoying pinging sounds. I ended up installing the top and lower perch just because I had the coil assembly apart already. Car is finally ready for an alignment!
Appreciate 2
asbrr543.00
ShocknAwe3232.50