BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #23
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

My M3 rear axle just arrived at Advan!

There are a few mounting bolts and gaskets I'll need to order. Also there's a fair amount of rust on the subframe itself so I'm planning on getting it sandblasted and powdercoated. If I can, I might get it powdercoated in Phoenix yellow or the closest metallic gold-ish yellow to match the performance brakes and front air scoops.

Hopefully once the bushings, front control arms and mounting bolts arrive from the US, I'll be able to drop the car off to the shop for a 2-3 day install before the end of this month!
Attached Images

10-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #24
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Good to see that it finally arrive dude!!

Cant believe they used that shitty rope to secure it to the pallet haha then again its probably better then how mine arrived with 4 mile of bloody glad wrap that was a bitch to cut through and remove everything from the pallet.

What gaskets bolts do you have to order in? Hmm i would love to look at those Al bushes and possibly machine a set up myself

Also good job on the plastidip, i had assumed you got a shop to wrap the car for you
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #25
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Good to see that it finally arrive dude!!

Cant believe they used that shitty rope to secure it to the pallet haha then again its probably better then how mine arrived with 4 mile of bloody glad wrap that was a bitch to cut through and remove everything from the pallet.

What gaskets bolts do you have to order in? Hmm i would love to look at those Al bushes and possibly machine a set up myself

Also good job on the plastidip, i had assumed you got a shop to wrap the car for you
Thanks Shane! Yeah it was a long wait. Expensive too. Ended up getting stung an extra $400 to "steam clean" it as quarantine...

My one didn't come with the axle shaft to diff bolts and stuff. Rear of it can either be taken from my car or reused I hope. Not sure if all of those Aluminium bolts on the suspension arms are supposed to be replaced or reused. Do you know?
      10-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #26
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Thanks Shane! Yeah it was a long wait. Expensive too. Ended up getting stung an extra $400 to "steam clean" it as quarantine...

My one didn't come with the axle shaft to diff bolts and stuff. Rear of it can either be taken from my car or reused I hope. Not sure if all of those Aluminium bolts on the suspension arms are supposed to be replaced or reused. Do you know?
Hmm damn those mofos charge all these bs hidden charges, delayed me for ages then when it arrived i was given 48 hours to pick the pallet up or they would charge storage fees...

but $400 to steam clean that's just BS! At the end of the day its cheaper then buying one locally!

Those bolts should be OK to reuse imo, what did Pete say?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm damn those mofos charge all these bs hidden charges, delayed me for ages then when it arrived i was given 48 hours to pick the pallet up or they would charge storage fees...

but $400 to steam clean that's just BS! At the end of the day its cheaper then buying one locally!

Those bolts should be OK to reuse imo, what did Pete say?
Hmmm I forgot to ask. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Going to order a bunch of stuff from ECS tomorrow.
      10-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Oh yeah i believe you need the m3 headlight height adjustment rod also (better get that with your ecs stuff)

I have the part # somewhere if you need it...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah i believe you need the m3 headlight height adjustment rod also (better get that with your ecs stuff)

I have the part # somewhere if you need it...
All good, I ordered a kit from Stu@BMR which comes with new mounting hardware too.

I asked Pete whether to replace the bolts and nuts but from my research you can reuse all of the bolts. The self locking collar nuts need replacing so I'll just order that. It's like an extra $300+ if I get all new mounting bolts so I'll just pass on that and get the collar nuts only.
      10-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

Great thread - well done!

I love the note that was left. Having AW myself, I often wonder what I can do to give the car just a touch more testosterone.

Go with the phoenix yellow, I'm a big fan of individuality, especially when it's not me taking the risk
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #31
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I just changed my transmission fluid to the Redline MT-90 yesterday. Car has 48,000kms and was running the original OEM fluid from the factory. It also has a BMWP SSK with the BMW gear knob. The fluid drained was a dark brown and of a watery consistency. There was quite a lot of metal particulates in the fluid itself. I used a $5 plastic petrol siphon pump thingy to fill it up but gave it a few small pumps before plugging the drain hole to help flush some more of the older fluid out. Probably ended up using just over half of my 1 gallon bottle.

Ever since I purchased the car (already had the SSK) it's been quite notchy, requiring a lot of force to get the car into 1st, 2nd or reverse gears. Since the MT90, whilst it's still notchy it's definitely smoother. There's little to no grind and the force required to get it into gear is significantly less.

Taking it out to the strip on Wednesday so we'll see how it goes. Also have a set of E46 M3 transmission mounts that should arrive within the next week.

I also put in an RB Turbo PCV valve which has been sitting around in my garage for a while. The install isn't too hard but you just need to watch out for pressurised fuel in the fuel lines. I had to disconnect the one sitting over the PCV valve as I couldn't get the PCV cap off. The engine was still warm from me going out to buy the $5 siphon pump and fuel started spittling out from the loosened fuel line all over the places. Had to quickly throw a shop towel over it to stop it from going everywhere.

10-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #32
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

This just arrived in the mail!

All of the collar nuts for the install should also arrive today so hopefully I'll be able to drop the car off this week for installation of the brakes, coilovers, M3 rear end and M3 front arms!
      10-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #33
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I just changed my transmission fluid to the Redline MT-90 yesterday. Car has 48,000kms and was running the original OEM fluid from the factory. It also has a BMWP SSK with the BMW gear knob. The fluid drained was a dark brown and of a watery consistency. There was quite a lot of metal particulates in the fluid itself. I used a $5 plastic petrol siphon pump thingy to fill it up but gave it a few small pumps before plugging the drain hole to help flush some more of the older fluid out. Probably ended up using just over half of my 1 gallon bottle.

Ever since I purchased the car (already had the SSK) it's been quite notchy, requiring a lot of force to get the car into 1st, 2nd or reverse gears. Since the MT90, whilst it's still notchy it's definitely smoother. There's little to no grind and the force required to get it into gear is significantly less.
Why didnt you go with the D4 fluid?

After reading this I bought the D4:

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13

Also initially I noticed a small improvement but after more use a week later the shifts became smoother
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #34
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Why didnt you go with the D4 fluid?

After reading this I bought the D4:

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13

Also initially I noticed a small improvement but after more use a week later the shifts became smoother
I went with the MT-90 because of a thread on another forum regarding this fluid for the 6MT when drag racing. The OP said that he'd tried various fluids (incl I think D4) and was still getting grinding on WOT 1-2 shifts. After going with the MT-90 it was much better. There was also a lot of other people who gave feedback along the same lines so I figured I'd give it a go. Luckily there's also a Redline stockist near where I live/work so I just popped by there and bought a gallon of it for $98 which isn't too bad.
      10-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #35
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I went with the MT-90 because of a thread on another forum regarding this fluid for the 6MT when drag racing. The OP said that he'd tried various fluids (incl I think D4) and was still getting grinding on WOT 1-2 shifts. After going with the MT-90 it was much better. There was also a lot of other people who gave feedback along the same lines so I figured I'd give it a go. Luckily there's also a Redline stockist near where I live/work so I just popped by there and bought a gallon of it for $98 which isn't too bad.
Hmm yes well the MT is definately a thicker fluid, which shall help in high temp applications and may possibly minimise grinding albeit at the price of a 'reduced' shift feel.

Ahh cool, just curious why you went with this fluid, I decided that my car will spend 99% of its time on the road, rather then at the track and went for the thinner D4 ATF.

Hmm I got the D4 a lot cheaper by importing it myself, you can get it on amazon via the quart for dirt cheap ($12-13 per quart and around $24 p&h for 3 quarts)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #36
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hmm yes well the MT is definately a thicker fluid, which shall help in high temp applications and may possibly minimise grinding albeit at the price of a 'reduced' shift feel.

Ahh cool, just curious why you went with this fluid, I decided that my car will spend 99% of its time on the road, rather then at the track and went for the thinner D4 ATF.

Hmm I got the D4 a lot cheaper by importing it myself, you can get it on amazon via the quart for dirt cheap ($12-13 per quart and around $24 p&h for 3 quarts)
Yeah whilst I don't really drive my car that hard on the street and it is mostly my daily driver, I am taking it out to the strip and track fairly often.

The person who recommended this fluid actually tried both the D4 and the D6 and still had 1st-2nd gear grinding when hard shifting at WOT whilst drag racing.

I've only really driven the car once since changing it but there is already a significant improvement in the smoothness of the gear changes. Prior to the fluid change it was very notchy, almost grinding when trying to get into certain gears. It's now a much smoother action even when cold and improves even more as it warms up. I have an SSK so the notchiness is probably much more pronounced.

Last edited by froop; 10-14-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #37
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Wow........That is a lot of work. I'd be interested to hear how the solid subframe bushes work out. Great looking ride.
      10-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #38
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67
Wow........That is a lot of work. I'd be interested to hear how the solid subframe bushes work out. Great looking ride.
Thanks Nick!

I'll be sure to update the thread once it's all in.

Btw, is your PM inbox full? I haven't been able to send you any PMs all weekend haha
      10-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #39
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

The E82 was just dropped off at Advan to commence with stripping and install. Below is a photo of the pile of goodies ready to install!

Photo is just missing the rear subframe as it's at the panel beaters getting sandblasted and painted Phoenix Yellow.

BMWP Brakes (calipers, F+R rotors)
Cool Carbons
F30 Backing Plates
Ti Shims
ECS SS Brake Lines
Moton Clubsports (135i fronts, 1M/M3 Rear
Vorshlag Camber Plates
Swift Springs (560lb fronts, 800lb rears)
TMS M3 Solid Aluminium Rear Subframe Bushings
M3 Rear Subframe
M3 Rear Axle Shafts
M3 3.15 LSD
M3 Rear Sway Bar
M3 Rear Arms (2 uppers, lower camber link, toe arm)
M3 Front Control Arms
Attached Images

10-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #40
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

O0oo0o0 M3 half-shafts

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

The car is currently sitting on the hoist at Advan's workshop partially stripped.

When I got there on Saturday they'd already removed the entire rear axle. Peter@Advan was good enough to let me work on the rest of the car whilst they were doing other things so I removed the midpipes, heat shielding, prop shaft, installed E46 M3 transmission mounts, installed E9x M3 front control arms, removed front brake calipers/rotors/shields.

Just waiting on the rear subframe to come back from the painters so that they can measure up the prop shaft length to get it custom fabricated and then everything is good to go back onto the car!

More photos to follow!

30/10/13: Front corners finished with the Moton's, Vorshlag's, Swift Springs, BMWP Brakes, Cool Carbons and SS Lines!

Last edited by froop; 10-30-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Awwwwww shit!

10-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #43
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Major props buddy! This thread gets better by the day!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #44
ozimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i Coupe

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/7126/s8zh.jpg

My Grandma had a plastic cover on her lounge, which was removed for special occasions only.... will the same apply to those front brake calipers?
Appreciate 0