BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
tnawab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Graphite, Coral Red

Squeeking front brakes

This just happened today. I got in the car in the morning, pulled out of my drive way and pressed on the breaks and heard this loud squeek noise. I was likt WTF. So i drove and pressed the breaks again, and another loud squeeeeeeekkk.. I kept driving and the squeek dissappeared.

I thought maybe something was stuck in the breaks, but when i let the car cool down and drove it again, the squeek came back when i pressed the breaks. Again, when i drove it for a bit it dissappeared again. I think it only happens when the breaks and rotors are cold.

Anyone know why this could be happening? I only have 7K miles on it and the break pads are good, i know this because i baby the car all the time (hardly slam on the breaks).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Get use to it.
Mine have been making that gawd awful noise for about three months. Take it to the dealer and they will show you the service bulletin that says that squeek and brake dust is the compromise for the amazing brakes?
You can make it go away (for awhile) by doing 5 or 6 hard stops in a row from about 80 kph. Try not to come to a full stop.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
tnawab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Graphite, Coral Red

I tried the hard stop once.. it didnt work. Maybe i need to do it a few times in a row like you say.

Does your squeek go away once the pads and rotors heat up like mine? Or is it always there?

Mine is only there for about 5 minutes after a cold start. Just want to make sure it is the brakes and not the axl or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
My brakes started squealing a few months back, I bedded them in as Wolf described, no squealing since.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0