BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #155
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
ScotchAndCigar... why can't you see that NO ONE HERE AGREES WITH YOU.. Just admit that you're wrong and this thread can die.
I'd love to, but I don't understand what you're referring to. Wrong about what? I learned that many of you apparently heel-and-toe, and I don't. So what? Am I telling anyone to do it or not do it? You guys love to start with people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
there were multiple times that you stated nobody uses heel to toe downshifting and how it would make you "jerk" your neck.
I stated once that not many people heel-and-toe (probably true, but as of now just an opinion), but the neck-jerk comment had nothing to do with heel-and-toe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
There's nothing wrong with engine braking, but it really isn't necessary every time you come to a stop.
I never engine-brake to a stop, never said I did. I only talked about exit ramps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #156
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaypanther View Post
This post further belies your stubborn ignorance on this matter.
Thanks, that's sweet.
Quote:
What you have been describing is using your clutch as a brake pad, using it to convert the kinetic energy of your rolling car into rotational energy of the engine.
No.
Quote:
Engine braking is downshifting the engine with the deliberate purpose of increasing the RPMs.
Yes, that's exactly what I have been referring to.
Quote:
No one here is suggesting "driving around at 4-5K RPMs so you're always ready to race".
I was referring to drivetrain wear, this has nothing to do with engine braking.
Quote:
If you don't believe me, look it up on wikipedia. No mention of dropping the clutch. Or are they wrong too?
What the f- are you talking about? Wrong about what? And who's "dropping the clutch"? I'm just downshifting, for god's sakes. This is like the Spanish Inquisition, or the Salem Witch Trials. Why can't I just drive my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #157
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Maybe you guys should get a 370Z with it's rev matching manual transmission. That way any clod can do a perfect down shift.
      04-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #158
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jainism View Post
taste of your own medicine...deal with it
Are you ever planning to post something useful, or are you just gonna keep quoting Beavis & Butthead?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #159
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I will row my own boat until I can no longer do so. Hell, my 62yr old mother and 58yr old pops still drive manual. I've said this many times on here but regardless of speed and the acronym of the week (SMG, PDK, DCT) - at the end of the day it is still an automatic transmission and I ain't interested. It's only within the last couple of years that those transmissions started actually outperforming manuals in some aspects but it is still so lame having that big, goofy brake pedal.

Shifting from P to D is the most emasculating act you can perform behind the wheel of a car.
SUPER LIKE

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #160
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

This thread had turned in to a conversation that feels like i am listening to high school kids bicker....To make negative confrontational comments that be-little us DCT or Step drivers is offensive....Many of us "older" "middle aged" drivers this is the first cars with DCT or Step as shifting manuals for 30 years+ to some of you does not count as experience....now because of a transmission that is not 100% manual you folks are sounding like my BMW is a piece of shit and not worth driving....Where were you guy's when i was driving manual shifters on the column on my first car back in the day or when my 4 speed manual in my Z or my 5 speed in my Saab, or my countless manuals in my Honda Si's or my Subbie....Come on dudes...i can understand not liking DCT or Step...but we are not whimps....just the opposite ....some of us just wanted to try something different.....and after 3 million plus shifts in my lifetime driving manuals....i like the change for what it is..
      04-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #161
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
This thread had turned in to a conversation that feels like i am listening to high school kids bicker....To make negative confrontational comments that be-little us DCT or Step drivers is offensive....Many of us "older" "middle aged" drivers this is the first cars with DCT or Step as shifting manuals for 30 years+ to some of you does not count as experience....now because of a transmission that is not 100% manual you folks are sounding like my BMW is a piece of shit and not worth driving....Where were you guy's when i was driving manual shifters on the column on my first car back in the day or when my 4 speed manual in my Z or my 5 speed in my Saab, or my countless manuals in my Honda Si's or my Subbie....Come on dudes...i can understand not liking DCT or Step...but we are not whimps....just the opposite ....some of us just wanted to try something different.....and after 3 million plus shifts in my lifetime driving manuals....i like the change for what it is..

"M-the most powerful Letter in the World"!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #162
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
I'm just downshifting, for god's sakes. This is like the Spanish Inquisition, or the Salem Witch Trials. Why can't I just drive my car?
Do whatever you want. Just don't expect the whole "I'm right and you're all wrong" stance to go over so well.

Correct downshifting technique, whether you use heel-toe or not, requires you to blip the throttle. What you are describing is effective at slowing the car (a combination of engine braking and burning the clutch), but also places inappropriate strain on the clutch, and will accelerate the need for an expensive repair in a completely unnecessarily fashion. Whether you do it slowly, as you describe, or not, it is still the case. And you seem committed to it. Good luck.
      04-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #163
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just don't expect the whole "I'm right and you're all wrong" stance to go over so well.
Have I not been consistently saying for the past 20 posts or so, that I never had such a stance? I have nothing to be right or wrong about. I've simply been getting relentlessly attacked about downshifting.
Quote:
Correct downshifting technique, whether you use heel-toe or not, requires you to blip the throttle.
Again - don't care.
Quote:
What you are describing is effective at slowing the car (a combination of engine braking and burning the clutch), but also places inappropriate strain on the clutch, and will accelerate the need for an expensive repair in a completely unnecessarily fashion.
For the 20th time, I'm just releasing the clutch - not "slipping" it, not burning it, but just releasing the clutch to engage the gear.

Look at how many posts I've been repeating the same thing . I'll say it one more time: I am not recommending, advocating, or criticizing any method or means of driving or gearchanging. Please find a hobby, and let this thread rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #164
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
When one downshifts from 6th to 3rd, there is an extreme amount of engine-braking. If I were to let the clutch out quickly, the tires would try to break loose and my neck would snap forward.
What you're describing here sounds like using the clutch to slow the car or possibly riding the clutch for no reason. My best guess is that you're not really doing what you described, but if you are, it's crazy.

The only perfect approach is heel-toe. But if you don't want to do that, just leave it in 6th, brake, and don't touch the clutch or shifter until you've slowed the car and are ready to accelerate again. Then downshift to 3rd and go. That's the way most people do it. They should learn heel-toe, but their approach is okay.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #165
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
my first car back in the day or when my 4 speed manual in my Z or my 5 speed in my Saab, or my countless manuals in my Honda Si's or my Subbie
My first car was a 3 speed on the column, and I'm not that old. :-)
      04-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #166
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

/thread (please)
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #167
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jainism View Post
People are attacking you because you have to get teh last word in like a little kid. If you are so grown up then just stop replying??!?!?!?!!?
I'm just answering questions addressed to me. What's your reason for posting?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #168
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Quote:
I'm just answering questions addressed to me. What's your reason for posting?
Please, please, please give it the f##k up!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #169
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=kgaler;9419207]My first car was a 3 speed on the column, and I'm not that old.

Last edited by IZAGLO; 04-22-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #170
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

For god sakes how has this thread not been closed?

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #171
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=IZAGLO;9420111][QUOTE=kgaler;9419207]My first car was a 3 speed on the column, and I'm not that old.

COOL !!!
      04-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #172
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

This thread is: Plan 9 from Outer Space. Ed Wood would be proud.

The fire within us is burning here, which leads us to believe that we are better than we are, and it is red hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #173
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
1) Having to hold the brake at a stoplight. It behaves like an auto!! One of my least favorite attributes about an automatic transmission. I am used to relaxing at a light, and once it turns green put it in gear and go. This seems more tedious to me than manual in traffic.

2) Can't coast to a stop. In my previous car I would brake as much as needed, then coast to a pleasant stop. Now I can't avoid that last 'tug' intrinsic to all automatics. Also, when downshifting and applying brake, there is a release of pressure between the shifts and then the engine brake is reapplied once in gear again. Is this like SMG??

3) Can't rev the car, unless I want to carefully go through the process of moving over to auto, slightly pressing brake, going into neutral, rev, slightly press brake, go back into auto, then over into sport and shift to get back into manual. This also affets rev matching - but is taken care of automatically. Another SMG trait?

4) Slight lag between throttle application and acceleration from a stop.

While there are sacrifices, there are also benefits.
I didn't skim the replies on this thread so my thoughts might be redundant, but you are spot on regarding the negatives (and positives) of an SMG/DCT tranny.

I was a BMW SMG (not DCT) owner for 6 years prior to purchasing my '10 135. I went into the process with 100% certainty that I wanted a manual transmission again. I simply decided that I would prefer a manual for the 90% of the time when I want the control, instead of the 10% when I want the quickness. My gripes almost mirrored your list of negatives (though don't have to hold the brake on an SMG), all of which which generally come into play for "normal" driving conditions. Yet at the same time DCT a sensational feature for spirited driving and track use.

I should also point out that the MY'11 changes and inclusion of a DCT option were not announced until after I bought my car in November of '09. When I heard that DCT was an option on the '11, I was immediately torn on what I would've done had I been given the choice again. My sensible side says manual, my stop-light racer side says DCT. It's a hard decision, they both have their place.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #174
NFIDDY5
I bleed Scarlet and Gray!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

YES! Interweb fight FTMFW!

JIC CROSS || BMS || Agency Power || Falken Tires
Appreciate 0