BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #67
Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

Well just to please BMW i changed the thermostat (what an a$$hole to do!) took it out for a drive, had the coolant temp up on the dash (lets forego the "its oil temp" comments, im using the bmw menu on the center display)

It looks like the thermo had a hard time opening up for the first time (believable?) as i observed the coolant temp walk all the way up to 120 degrees (yikes!) and then hammered itself down to 95 and crept back up to 103 and stayed there ... however during all this it did spray coolant again ?

My question, am i crazy to think it could be a one time thing on account of popping the thermostats cherry? Should i write off the thermostat as not a fix? I drove the piss out of it the whole time and the coolant temp seemed more stable and didn't spray after hucking second gear doughnuts for 30 seconds....

Ugh this is so annoying
Attached Images

12-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #68
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

keep testing, you need more data points
      12-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #69
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Here we are again... video from right now
      01-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #70
quicksilver3121
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 M-Sport DCT

You said you checked and you're sure it's not the water pump? Weird that it was better when you said you were redlining second gear but then it came back later in the day.

You think it would always overpressurize under boost if it was a serious headgasket issue causing the spray.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #71
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver3121 View Post
You said you checked and you're sure it's not the water pump? Weird that it was better when you said you were redlining second gear but then it came back later in the day.

You think it would always overpressurize under boost if it was a serious headgasket issue causing the spray.
Well bmw said there were no waterpump codes, they tested the wiring to the water pump and thermostat and said they were good ? im not sure what bullshit diagnosis they'll think of next. They're kinda running out of things to point their fingers at! Pretty embarrassing for them to guess what the problem is.... pretty sure throwing parts at a problem is not the solution, which i did, at their recommendation ??? i hope they take the car back to re-diagnose it free of charge being that they were WRONG and i just wasted $200 and an afternoon for nothing.
      01-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #72
quicksilver3121
Private
Rep

Well if it's the water pump this isn't a normal water pump issue... typically they just short out (and much later... mine was early at 45k miles).

Did you run the test for exhaust chemicals in the coolant? That would probably be a very definitive test. I saw the HC in exhaust but I'm wondering about exhaust compounds in the coolant itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #73
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:

I also think it didn't spray after with the doughnuts because it was so low on coolant after spraying the first time. Obviously water wont compress, but the expansion tank turned air tank would allow the "air" in the system a suitable home to compress for all situations after.... in fact i could hear bubbling air escaping under the cap (must have been right at the 20 psi it blows off at) after the doughnuts.

When im in the car after it blows coolant off, i can hear bubbles circulating through the heater core as well ?
      01-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #74
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Today got the yellow overheat warning today: watch the video:
      01-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #75
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken135i View Post
Well bmw said there were no waterpump codes, they tested the wiring to the water pump and thermostat and said they were good ? im not sure what bullshit diagnosis they'll think of next. They're kinda running out of things to point their fingers at! Pretty embarrassing for them to guess what the problem is.... pretty sure throwing parts at a problem is not the solution, which i did, at their recommendation ??? i hope they take the car back to re-diagnose it free of charge being that they were WRONG and i just wasted $200 and an afternoon for nothing.
Bad water pump doesn't throw codes always... usually but not always. I'm not saying that's what it is but just because no codes doesn't mean the pump is ok.

When you bleed the coolant does the water pump come on and sound strong? You should be able to easily hear it and get a strong stream of coolant from the vent hole right below the filler neck of the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #76
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Quote:
Bad water pump doesn't throw codes always... usually but not always. I'm not saying that's what it is but just because no codes doesn't mean the pump is ok.

When you bleed the coolant does the water pump come on and sound strong? You should be able to easily hear it and get a strong stream of coolant from the vent hole right below the filler neck of the reservoir.
It sounds like its running strong, a solid stream shoots out into the expansion tank :/
      01-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #77
sandlion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

mine was overheating but no codes. replaced water pump and thermostat and that took care of it. 2011 135i
      01-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #78
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like its running strong, a solid stream shoots out into the expansion tank :/
How many miles? Is it original water pump? I can see why a tech at the dealer would want to replace the water pump/thermostat before jumping to a $3000 cylinder head gasket conclusion seeing as how common their failures are as opposed to a head gasket with an extremely low rate of failure.

Not trying to say waste your money throwing parts at it but it might be worth considering a water pump replacement before jumping into a head gasket.... think about it this way, at least if you do end up needing a head gasket you would have a new water pump as well and not have to worry about it failing any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #79
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How many miles? Is it original water pump? I can see why a tech at the dealer would want to replace the water pump/thermostat before jumping to a $3000 cylinder head gasket conclusion seeing as how common their failures are as opposed to a head gasket with an extremely low rate of failure.

Not trying to say waste your money throwing parts at it but it might be worth considering a water pump replacement before jumping into a head gasket.... think about it this way, at least if you do end up needing a head gasket you would have a new water pump as well and not have to worry about it failing any time soon.
26000 KILOMETERS
      01-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #80
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Here is the part of bmw's diagnosis regarding the waterpump functionality. They tested the voltage and grounding as well. Im gonna bring it in today to tell them they're wrong about the thermo (with the old one in my hand) and ask them to scan it to see if any new codes came up (especially after getting the yellow overheat warning) then i'll ask if the vanos bolt recall was done- if not i'll get them to check the headbolts, if not, im just gonna leave it with them and tell them im not paying for another diagnosis because i didn't get what i paid for and that we're still on the "initial diagnosis" because they literally did nothing but waste my money...
Attached Images

01-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #81
quicksilver3121
Private
Rep

Any update here? +1 for waterpump if you're paying all of this out of pocket and can DIY.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #82
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Any update here? +1 for waterpump if you're paying all of this out of pocket and can DIY.
Its back at BMW right now as they were wrong about the thermostat
      01-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #83
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Update! They called to tell me they wanted me to pay more for further diagnosis, i argued that because their initial diagnosis was wrong, they should comp the first hour of forther diagnosis, they agreed, did a leak down test, found it to be well within spec across all cylinders? they said they were in contact with bmw canada and then bmw germany over the issue as apparently this issue is unheard of and bmw themselves are scratching their heads. All of them unanimously agree its the waterpump :/ so im winging it with the waterpump
      01-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #84
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update! They called to tell me they wanted me to pay more for further diagnosis, i argued that because their initial diagnosis was wrong, they should comp the first hour of forther diagnosis, they agreed, did a leak down test, found it to be well within spec across all cylinders? they said they were in contact with bmw canada and then bmw germany over the issue as apparently this issue is unheard of and bmw themselves are scratching their heads. All of them unanimously agree its the waterpump :/ so im winging it with the waterpump
Yea.. I think there's a good chance that's it... even if the water pump has super low miles on it, it's still a few years old and obviously sat a lot.

Btw you don't need to take out the intercooler or if your crafty and have a few swivels the thermostat even to get the water pump out... just lower the sway bar, and unbolt the mounts for the power steering hose to move it out of the way... take the hose off the back, loosen the hose on the side, get the bolts out and wiggle/twist the pump clockwise a little... once you get that hose un stuck it should pop right out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #85
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yea.. I think there's a good chance that's it... even if the water pump has super low miles on it, it's still a few years old and obviously sat a lot.

Btw you don't need to take out the intercooler or if your crafty and have a few swivels the thermostat even to get the water pump out... just lower the sway bar, and unbolt the mounts for the power steering hose to move it out of the way... take the hose off the back, loosen the hose on the side, get the bolts out and wiggle/twist the pump clockwise a little... once you get that hose un stuck it should pop right out.
Hmm, well i think the sway bar mount is more of the PITA to relove than the 2 screws and spring clips for the intercooler.. regardless, they changed the waterpump and it still sprays! So they're waiting for bmw canada to advise
      01-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #86
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Subscribed
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #87
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

So its not the radiator? I'm guessing you did the water pump bleed routine?

Here's a link with a similar issue:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012410
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #88
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser View Post
So its not the radiator? I'm guessing you did the water pump bleed routine?

Here's a link with a similar issue:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012410
Yeah i read that thread, it seems like he had changed all the things i have, only to just end up bleeding it and it magically fixed itself? I am spraying WAY more coolant than that guy tho :/