BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #89
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

if it's gonna be a seat swap make sure you also get new door panels and rear side panels. thing is- you can't just take the seats out of a car on the lot because then the dealer could run into the same problem with the buyer of that car- not to mention used seats being represented as new in another car. Ordering a new interior from germany will cost probably about $5k, to a dealership it may be worth it to just swap the car and sell yours used. since it could be considered a manufacturer defect, ie leather is not really leather then maybe the dealer could get out of any costs under warranty, though I doubt it.
      10-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #90
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
if it's gonna be a seat swap make sure you also get new door panels and rear side panels. thing is- you can't just take the seats out of a car on the lot because then the dealer could run into the same problem with the buyer of that car- not to mention used seats being represented as new in another car. Ordering a new interior from germany will cost probably about $5k, to a dealership it may be worth it to just swap the car and sell yours used. since it could be considered a manufacturer defect, ie leather is not really leather then maybe the dealer could get out of any costs under warranty, though I doubt it.
That's my exact thought process... I just hope that they don't settle on just a refund of 1-2000; whatever leather seats cost as an option. I do t want to have a huge issue arise out of this. Nevertheless we will find out what happens tomorrow morning.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, and help from EVERYONE!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #91
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

do not accept refund unless you want that. demand the leather if that's what you want
      10-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #92
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post

since I went to the dealership, i guess its 100% guaranteed I dont have leather...I just dont know how to approach the subject now.
That is DEFINITELY leatherette. I'm surprised you couldn't tell just by looking at it. Which dealer did you buy the car from (send me a PM if you don't want to post the name).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #93
mshahidz
Major
Rep

TC BMW...
honestly its my first BMW, and i have never really seen leatherette. I made it so explicit that i wanted boston leather, i was eeven asking for novilo leather for fun. He KNEW i wanted boston leather.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #94
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
honestly its my first BMW, and i have never really seen leatherette.
You previously stated this: "coming from leatherette in my last two cars, it was and is an option I dearly wanted". I'm a little confused here As for it being TC BMW....no big surprise there. I've had some less than stellar experiences with that dealer as well.

If your bill of sale does in fact state that you were supposed to get the premium package, demand reimbursement in the amount equal to the cost of the standalone leather option, whatever it happens to be on the 135i. Do NOT accept re-upholstery (had one of the seats in my old E60 redone under warranty and the results were not as good as the factory job). It's also unlikely that the dealership would swap the seats since I doubt BMW sells complete, upholstered seats as parts. So your best bet is to demand money.

Make sure you speak to the general manager (or whatever they call the top guy at the dealership) and tell him in no uncertain terms that you intend to take the matter to small claims court if you don't get satisfaction from them. If the dealer refuses to compensate you, get a lawyer to write a demand letter to BOTH the dealership and BMW Canada (this would probably cost you a couple of hundred bucks, at most). Once they see that you are serious about taking this matter to court, there's a good chance that they would reimburse you. If they still don't budge, sue BOTH the dealer and BMW Canada in small claims court. If you've got a contract stating that you paid for a car with leather seats, it's essentially a slam dunk case.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #95
mshahidz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
You previously stated this: "coming from leatherette in my last two cars, it was and is an option I dearly wanted". I'm a little confused here As for it being TC BMW....no big surprise there. I've had some less than stellar experience with that dealer as well.

If your bill of sale does in fact state that you were supposed to get the premium package, demand reimbursement in the amount equal to the cost of the standalone leather option, whatever it happens to be on the 135i. Do NOT accept re-upholstery (had one of the seats in my old E60 redone under warranty and the results were not as good as the factory job). It's also unlikely that the dealership would swap the seats since I doubt BMW sells complete, upholstered seats as parts. So your best bet is to demand the money.

Make sure you speak to the general manager (or whatever they call the top guy at the dealership) and tell him in no uncertain terms that you intend to take the matter to small claims court if you don't get satisfaction from them. If the dealer refuses to compensate you, get a lawyer to write a demand letter to BOTH the dealership and BMW Canada (this would probably cost you a couple of hundred bucks, at most). Once they see that you are serious about taking this matter to court, there's a good chance that they would reimburse you. If they still don't budge, sue BOTH the dealer and BMW Canada in small claims court. If you've got a contract stating that you paid for a car with leather seats, it's essentially a slam dunk case.
I had a 2004 camry which was passed down to me, which had "pleather", and my RSX did too. Those seats were completely smooth, and thats how I thought leatherette was supposed to look like. These seats are grained, and feel nothing like my previous cars. Of course I am comparing a toyota's leatherette to a bmw, but it just didnt hit me at first. Now, everytime i see the car, its more and more evident to me that its not leather. My fault What i meant to say in tha tpost was that i have never seen BMW's leatherette seats!

I will follow your advice, and hope everything goes well!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #96
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good luck. If this ends up going to small claims court, send me a PM and I'll give you a few pointers on what you need to do to win.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #97
mshahidz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Good luck. If this ends up going to small claims court, send me a PM and I'll give you a few pointers on what you need to do to win.
Will do! Seems like you have some experience with these types of matters!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #98
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Will do! Seems like you have some experience with these types of matters!
Well, let's just say I do this for a living
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #99
mshahidz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well, let's just say I do this for a living
well then, you are my idol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #100
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
I had a 2004 camry which was passed down to me, which had "pleather", and my RSX did too. Those seats were completely smooth, and thats how I thought leatherette was supposed to look like. These seats are grained, and feel nothing like my previous cars. Of course I am comparing a toyota's leatherette to a bmw, but it just didnt hit me at first. Now, everytime i see the car, its more and more evident to me that its not leather. My fault What i meant to say in tha tpost was that i have never seen BMW's leatherette seats!

Just because the leather is smooth doesn't mean it is not real leather.
Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #101
mshahidz
Major
Rep

Heading out to the dealer right now.
I jus pulled out my carproof on my cR, it says there was a "new policy" on 1/1/2009, and right underneath that is me registration. Does this mean my car is a demo, or somebody ordered it? Also, I was told this car is coming from a dealership in halifax, but it was registered in Ontario 1/1/2009....

What to do, I'm so confused and angry. It never would occur to me to do a carproof on a new car!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #102
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

Those are leather in your car...the extra stitching on the bolsters is in the sport package with sport seats. Leatherette seats don't have the adjustable parts under your theighs.
      10-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #103
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKid View Post
Those are leather in your car...the extra stitching on the bolsters is in the sport package with sport seats.
Wrong:

These are his seats. Those shown are sport seats, wrapped in 'ette. The door panels are in 'ette as well, and are missing the middle stitching, which is there regardless of sports package or not.

Still love to see the bill of sales.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #104
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

The window sticker (which any BMW salesman can pull up on DCS) will show if he had Premium. As far as I know, Premium means leather.
      10-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #105
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Those are leather in your car...the extra stitching on the bolsters is in the sport package with sport seats. Leatherette seats don't have the adjustable parts under your theighs.
Everything he said ^, don't listen to.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #106
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
You are minformed, TexasKid. The regular (non Sport seats) do not have the adjustable thigh rest. They also do not have the seat angle adjustment.

Regular seats as well as the Sport Seats are available in either Letherette or Boston Leather.

The seats shown on his pictures are in fact Leatherette. Boston Leather alwas has the two piece seat and side bolsters. Letherette bolsters are one piece. Also - Letherette seats are noticably 'tight' on the sides, whereas the Boston Leather are a little looser. Check out the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #107
BlueforMonaco
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 msport

My decision on whether or not to buy 1 of these cars is hinging on the outcome that this young man has at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #108
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueforMonaco View Post
My decision on whether or not to buy 1 of these cars is hinging on the outcome that this young man has at the dealership.
Wow. I don't think I'd base my purchasing decisions based on the actions of one dealer in another country.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #109
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

"My decision on whether or not to buy 1 of these cars is hinging on the outcome that this young man has at the dealership."

That is a little extreme, I would say.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #110
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
Wow. I don't think I'd base my purchasing decisions based on the actions of one dealer in another country.
Uh, sarcasm....
Appreciate 0