BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
thatblackbimmer
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Major Timing Corrections Please look at my log

https://drihttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1N0o...w?usp=drivesdk

Hopefully this link works and I tried using datazap on MHD but it said "coming soon."

Anyways, I have been having issues with my car ever since my water pump went. Everytime I get on it I get timing corrections, up to -11 and in multiple cylinders. Sometimes I also get a cloud of smoke out the back, usually black. I then got a code for the rail pressure sensor being stuck, so I replaced the sensor and hpfp as I had a raw fuel smell and surging idle. Codes are gone but the timing corrections and the clouds of smoke still persist. I have also replace spark plugs and coils. I haven't checked for boost leaks but it doesn't seem to be the issue but I don't know for sure due to being a novice.

Car is FBO and tuned with MHD. Stage 2/+

Anyone have problems like this or know what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
thatblackbimmer
Rep

I also have many logs of this happening but this is after coils
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Start looking at your injectors. I had moderate corrections- up to 5 or 6 - and usually on cylinder 6. I changed that injector and corrections on that cylinder went away but then #4 got worse. This cycle went on until I had replaced 4 injectors.

This was all after having replaced plugs and coils.

The car runs like a champ now.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
thatblackbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
Start looking at your injectors. I had moderate corrections- up to 5 or 6 - and usually on cylinder 6. I changed that injector and corrections on that cylinder went away but then #4 got worse. This cycle went on until I had replaced 4 injectors.

This was all after having replaced plugs and coils.

The car runs like a champ now.
Thanks for the response. That was my next guess but I wanted some feed back before dumping more money into it. The only thing is that it is usually on all cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatblackbimmer View Post
Thanks for the response. That was my next guess but I wanted some feed back before dumping more money into it. The only thing is that it is usually on all cylinders.
My corrections were kind of on all 6 cylinders but #6 was definitely worse. When I took them out they were all caked with black soot. BTW, my car had 115k miles at the time.
      05-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Go back over the work done for the waterpump.
Was a ground missed?
Was something broke and repaired (wiring)?
What is the charging voltage? Battery condition?

Anytime problems show after work has been done, it's always best to go back to the start. Look over the work done. It can be something as simple as a connector not fully seated or a bolt that didn't get torqued.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
thatblackbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Go back over the work done for the waterpump.
Was a ground missed?
Was something broke and repaired (wiring)?
What is the charging voltage? Battery condition?

Anytime problems show after work has been done, it's always best to go back to the start. Look over the work done. It can be something as simple as a connector not fully seated or a bolt that didn't get torqued.
Should have been more clear. The issue started when the water pump was going bad, along with overheating warning and low coolant warnings that have not returned since. Battery reads as it should 13.8-14.4 volts. It's only a year or so old. I also had a code for low rail pressure and a few shadow codes to go with it, which is why I replaced the hpfp. Still have the black smoke and what feels like missing but it does not throw any codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
thatblackbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
My corrections were kind of on all 6 cylinders but #6 was definitely worse. When I took them out they were all caked with black soot. BTW, my car had 115k miles at the time.
Interesting. Mine is the same I think. Big corrections on a few and smaller ones on the others. Unfortunately my car only has 65k
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #9
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Black is fuel, rich.
Injector sticking would be most common. Shop with proper scan tools can verify which one (cylinder balance test or contribution test, depends on software terminology). What the test does is shut down cylinder by cylinder and measures the inertia loss via the crank sensor. Cylinder with most variation will be bad injector.
If you have ista-d you can run the test. I have not found the test elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #10
thatblackbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Black is fuel, rich.
Injector sticking would be most common. Shop with proper scan tools can verify which one (cylinder balance test or contribution test, depends on software terminology). What the test does is shut down cylinder by cylinder and measures the inertia loss via the crank sensor. Cylinder with most variation will be bad injector.
If you have ista-d you can run the test. I have not found the test elsewhere.
Yeah, currently trying to set up an appointment at the shop I use. Would the sticking injector also cause STFTs to go up at the same time as corrections? Really have no idea how to read logs lol. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Yes, depending on throttle/peddle position. The exception is 'Coasting Fuel Shutoff', engine braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #12
thatblackbimmer
Rep

I have an update on the car. Took it to a shop and had the injector cylinder balance test done. My mechanic said injectors looked fine and when he did pull everything looked fine on the logs. I am a little stumped on what else it could be. I heard some people have problems with the BMS intake I have so I'm thinking about swapping the stock one on. Any other ideas what it could be? Also, apparently my radiator has a crack in it but I couldn't see how that could contribute.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #13
MoRaees
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i N54

N54 MHD timing corrections

Hi Guys

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place as I am new to the forum.

I recently flashed my car with MHD stage 2. I managed to do some logs and I am a bit concerned with the timing corrections. My supporting mods are downpipes, secondary cat delete and a charge pipe. I have ordered a 5" VRSF intercooler and will install it as soon as it arrives. My car only has 74000km on the clock and a major service was done 4000km ago (new plugs, tappet gasket, oil filter, air filter, gear box oil change and diff oil change).

The log is attached below
Thanks

https://datazap.me/u/moraees/log-4?log=0&data=3-21
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #14
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaees View Post
Hi Guys

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place as I am new to the forum.

I recently flashed my car with MHD stage 2. I managed to do some logs and I am a bit concerned with the timing corrections. My supporting mods are downpipes, secondary cat delete and a charge pipe. I have ordered a 5" VRSF intercooler and will install it as soon as it arrives. My car only has 74000km on the clock and a major service was done 4000km ago (new plugs, tappet gasket, oil filter, air filter, gear box oil change and diff oil change).

The log is attached below
Thanks

https://datazap.me/u/moraees/log-4?log=0&data=3-21

The good thing is the timing pulls are pretty even across all cylinders. That says it's not a spark or injector issue.
My opinion is that you don't have enough Octane for the map. I don't know what the fuel quality is there but it looks like it's not good enough. Better fuel and you should be fine.
I don't support or believe in additives. They are a weak crutch and should never be a replacement for quality fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #15
MoRaees
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply bud. I flashed the 95 octane map as that is the best fuel that I always have access to in my area. I'm happy to hear that it is not plugs and injectors that are the cause of the issue. Do you think it would be better to flash the 93 octane map?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #16
MoRaees
Registered
Rep

N54 MHD timing corrections

Quote:
The good thing is the timing pulls are pretty even across all cylinders. That says it's not a spark or injector issue.
My opinion is that you don't have enough Octane for the map. I don't know what the fuel quality is there but it looks like it's not good enough. Better fuel and you should be fine.
I don't support or believe in additives. They are a weak crutch and should never be a replacement for quality fuel.
I decided to flash the 91 octane map and did a third and fourth gear pull. I am noticing slight improvements under WOT and high boost, but when I am just cruising and the boost starts picking up the corrections are worst (this is seen in the second link I am uploading). PLEASE HELP! IM STARTING TO STRESS

https://datazap.me/u/moraees/log-5-9...og=0&data=3-21

https://datazap.me/u/moraees/log-6-9...og=0&data=3-21
Appreciate 0