BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #45
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
It makes a HUGE difference. I've done all three and it feels like a different car.
I know, but it is nearly 2 grands worth.

Not to mention the time to drop that rear subframe...

We shall see, maybe i will go for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #46
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post

Yeah, I admit it's stupid expensive. $2K didn't even cover the LSD in my case. But I made purchases incrementally, and picked up a few parts during a pretty good Black Friday sale.

I kind of look at it as a long-term investment. I've owned the car for a little over 8 years, did those mods about 2.5 years ago, and plan on keeping the car for many more years to come. Modding this car to my tastes has kept me disinterested in going from car to car every 3-4 years like many people do, which in the long run is much more $ down the drain than my LSD. I don't have any car payments between my wife and I, and no plans to buy again any time soon.
      07-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #47
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It makes a HUGE difference. I've done all three and it feels like a different car.

Start with the bushings. The Whiteline inserts are super easy to install, and still make a huge difference. If you want more aggressive, the M3 bushings are also great before you get into the poly bushings and solid bushings, but they're MUCH more of a pain to install (having the right tools helps a ton).

Then, I'd do sway bars (do the rear when you do the subframe bushings). You've got the suspension grossly tuned with coilovers, now you need to fine tune it with sway bars.

The last (I just did) thing I did was the LSD. It's not too noticeable in normal driving, but the dynamics of the car are very different in corners. I haven't taken it to the track yet with the new diff, but I should be able to get out again in three weeks.

About those seats...I have non-sport seats and still have fun. The seatbelt lock trick really helps.
      07-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #48
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Start with the bushings. The Whiteline inserts are super easy to install, and still make a huge difference.
+100

The Whiteline inserts are really a no-brainer, IMO. I ran them for 2.5 years before going with full poly bushings. They cost $45, shipped, and I was easily able to install them myself in my driveway with hand tools and jack stands (the subframe only needs to be partially dropped). Much more cost-effective than any other option, and probably at least 75% as good as full poly. And they're cheap and easy enough to do that they can be a temporary fix until you decide to take the plunge to full bushings.

For me, the only reason I went to full poly was because the subframe was being dropped again for the 20mm rear sway bar and LSD/diff bushing install. It just made sense to take advantage of the opportunity. The combined effect of those mods was really transformative, but I think it's hard to overstate the improvement of just addressing the RSFBs alone, even just with the Whiteline inserts.

Quote:
The last (I just did) thing I did was the LSD. It's not too noticeable in normal driving, but the dynamics of the car are very different in corners.
It's true that the LSD is not always super noticeable, and so it can be sort of hard to justify such a big expense. And truthfully, it probably doesn't make sense for most people. At the time I did mine, I was autocrossing a lot, and I had made a lot of other tweaks to the car, and the LSD sort of felt like the last piece to making the 1er into a real sports coupe in the way it was intended, as a back-to-basics classic BMW.

Like chris_flies said, the main difference is in corners, particularly on corner exit. You can just apply more power sooner, and the car pushes out of the corner in a much more predictable fashion. You may or may not notice this in daily use, and it may or may not be worth the expense.
      07-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #49
bmwlaguna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe, 6spdAT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Start with the bushings. The Whiteline inserts are super easy to install, and still make a huge difference. If you want more aggressive, the M3 bushings are also great before you get into the poly bushings and solid bushings, but they're MUCH more of a pain to install (having the right tools helps a ton).

Then, I'd do sway bars (do the rear when you do the subframe bushings). You've got the suspension grossly tuned with coilovers, now you need to fine tune it with sway bars.

The last (I just did) thing I did was the LSD. It's not too noticeable in normal driving, but the dynamics of the car are very different in corners. I haven't taken it to the track yet with the new diff, but I should be able to get out again in three weeks.

About those seats...I have non-sport seats and still have fun. The seatbelt lock trick really helps.
Seatbelt lock trick?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #50
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlaguna View Post
Seatbelt lock trick?
You slide your seat WAY WAY back –like into last Tuesday– yank on the belt so that it locks, and then slide back into your normal seating position. Voila! You now have a three-point harness! No more dangling by the steering wheel through corners...
      08-02-2018, 12:07 AM   #51
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Im seriously reconsidering the E82 in general. Since i do a lot of Nordschleife laps, that short wheel base is really....troubling on medium and high speed corners.
That is silly... the E82 is not "short" wheelbase.

E82 = 105"
E36 = 106"
E46 = 107"

For comparison...
Toyota/Scion FRS/FT86 = 101"
Viper ACR = 99"
996 Porsche = 93"
NA/NB Miata = 89"

The suspension design is much improved but different for the E82 - we can take some learnings from the E36/E46 but some must be developed from scratch. you can easily fit larger than 225 tires on your car - a 245 square setup should be no problem with suitable camber up front and appropriate wheels and should be a nice improvement.

I would agree firmly that while it is a terrible bill, the rear subframe bushings and differential bushings must be improved - they move so much in stock form that the car is terribly unpredictable because the alignment changes so much under suspension movement. That is likely a big part of why you feel the car to be less than confidence inspiring.

-Mark
      08-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #52
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
LSD
Somehow I missed this, but welded diff is a great alternative to LSD on a budget. I welded mine for like $5 in materials plus my time, which was like getting paid because it was very educational. I wouldn't recommend it for courses like the Nordschleife because the handling is sketchy at high speed, especially when you add bumps. For smooth road courses with runoff, or street driving at 8.5/10 it is very sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
That is silly... the E82 is not "short" wheelbase.
Well, whatever the issue it is very sketchy at triple digit mph at the limit. You can't get the car out of order or it's game over. It is a wonder I've yet to total mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #53
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Well, whatever the issue it is very sketchy at triple digit mph at the limit. You can't get the car out of order or it's game over. It is a wonder I've yet to total mine.
The high speed stability is much better in my car after installing an LSD. It wasn't particularly unstable before then, but it feels more planted now. I need to get proper bushings in the subframe, and that should tie it together.
      11-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #54
agusszalai
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i 2007

bmw N52 variants

Hello, as you all know there is a 130i and a 130i LCI. The engine cover of one of them is grey, and the other one is black.
My question is, there is a myth going on that one has 258hp and the other one has 265hp, which one is which?
Also, do you know any mayor diferences, rather than esthetics and the diferent center panel? thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #55
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusszalai View Post
Hello, as you all know there is a 130i and a 130i LCI. The engine cover of one of them is grey, and the other one is black.
My question is, there is a myth going on that one has 258hp and the other one has 265hp, which one is which?
Also, do you know any mayor differences, rather than esthetics and the diferent center panel? thanks!!!
Yes in Europe the facelifted version got a bit more HP, i can not say if the engine cover reveals which model.

Very capable car if you give it some good suspension, alignment, brake pads (discs are 330mm from the 3 series) and some good tires.

Alex Hart was able to get 8:00 minutes dead on his 130i, however he was running -3.3 camber front and -2.0 camber in the rear with KW Clubsport 2 way suspension and a LOT of track experience.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #56
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Found a neat thing about the N52: it makes power easily with FI. BPC, when they did their initial dyno runs with their now-dead turbo kit (RIP) project made 350whp with just 6 psi of boost (.4 bar) in an E90 328i. Last I saw, it was making a little over 500whp with a similarly puny amount of boost, and they were driving it on-track at VIR. A stronger N52 could be an absolute beast, keeping the stock heads and flow-y bits on it...
Phil@BPC463.00
      11-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #57
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Found a neat thing about the N52: it makes power easily with FI. BPC, when they did their initial dyno runs with their now-dead turbo kit (RIP) project made 350whp with just 6 psi of boost (.4 bar) in an E90 328i. Last I saw, it was making a little over 500whp with a similarly puny amount of boost, and they were driving it on-track at VIR. A stronger N52 could be an absolute beast, keeping the stock heads and flow-y bits on it...
I really would like to avoid any sort of FI, yes the idea of going supercharged is really nice. But as you know, once you go over 300hp on this specific 125/128i, one should dump more money into brakes, suspension, lsd, bars etc (unless already done).

Also the internals, to my knowledge, are not forged, however the N52 was designed to be light, if 350 at the wheels can be made reliably and proven over say 100,000 miles/kms id seriously consider it in the future. But this will also mean, no more square wheel setup to handle the power (a small price to pay haha).
Appreciate 2
rjahl996.00
      11-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #58
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I really would like to avoid any sort of FI, yes the idea of going supercharged is really nice. But as you know, once you go over 300hp on this specific 125/128i, one should dump more money into brakes, suspension, lsd, bars etc (unless already done).

Also the internals, to my knowledge, are not forged, however the N52 was designed to be light, if 350 at the wheels can be made reliably and proven over say 100,000 miles/kms id seriously consider it in the future. But this will also mean, no more square wheel setup to handle the power (a small price to pay haha).
I wouldn't even consider it in a long time lol It's just interesting and cool how easily this motor can make serious power. A lot like the Ford Voodoo motor, 8psi=850whp on that sucker. The N52 pistons and crankshaft are cast, yet the rods are forged, but smaller (lighter) than the ones in the N54/N55.
      12-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #59
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agusszalai View Post
Also, do you know any mayor differences, rather than esthetics and the diferent center panel? thanks!!!
Yes in Europe the facelifted version got a bit more HP, i can not say if the engine cover reveals which model.

Very capable car if you give it some good suspension, alignment, brake pads (discs are 330mm from the 3 series) and some good tires.

Alex Hart was able to get 8:00 minutes dead on his 130i, however he was running -3.3 camber front and -2.0 camber in the rear with KW Clubsport 2 way suspension and a LOT of track experience.
I was just about to bring up Alex! That guy rips it on the ring in that 130i. And yes, he does have a very nice setup; I think it's the KW Clubsport but KW also makes a 2-way race damper you can get custom ordered so he may have that (and I wouldn't be surprised if he did). I know he also has a diff and probably runs slicks but there's not a whole lot more done to the car. Coilovers, diff, tires are not a lot imo. He's always chasing 997 GT3s around. I'm guessing he runs the 130 bc it's so cheap to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #60
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I was just about to bring up Alex! That guy rips it on the ring in that 130i. And yes, he does have a very nice setup; I think it's the KW Clubsport but KW also makes a 2-way race damper you can get custom ordered so he may have that (and I wouldn't be surprised if he did). I know he also has a diff and probably runs slicks but there's not a whole lot more done to the car. Coilovers, diff, tires are not a lot imo. He's always chasing 997 GT3s around. I'm guessing he runs the 130 bc it's so cheap to maintain.
Alex never ran a LSD on the 130i.

KW CS 2 way at -3.3 front camber and -2.0 rear (toe unknown)

M Performance Short Shift, M Performance Alcantara Steering Wheel

OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 ET35 235/40/18 Cup 2 tires (1.7 bar cold all round)

Carbon Pads (for starters) stock calipers with ATE power discs (later upgraded to 6 piston calipers and bigger discs).

No LSD, no sway bars however he did have the car at Raeder Motorsport before they merged with Manthey Racing, they did something with the cams and he gained 20 hp (claimed).

About 2-3 months before he sold the 130i and went to the E36 M3, he complained (finally) on how he wanted front and rear sway bars which would lead him down to a LSD.

Standard bushings, no M3 arms, no RSFB. He gutted the rear seats installed a cage and 2 pole position seats. So he is running at least 50 kgs lighter than stock (each seat weighs about 25 kgs, but he gaines some more with the cage). So if you think about it, getting M3 RSFBs, M3 arms (for bushings not camber), sway bars and LSD the car is very solid. His best lap was 8 mins dead, before they revised the track in 2014, and with stock interior and no cage.

My point is, a solid good driver with a good base car can achieve silly results. And yes, it was cheap to maintain, pads, fuel, oils, tires etc are easy on the wallet compared to the E36 M3 (he then moved to the E46 m3 and now owns a Schirmer GT4 spec E92 M3).

As i said in my first post, there are no issues on track. That N52B30 engine is reliable and nuke proof (figuratively speaking), when others came into the pits after 4-6 laps, i stayed out and did 12 laps before the 42c heat made me tired, oil temp solid 120c-ish, no warnings etc.

It costs a lot of money to get the car there (coil overs, arms, bushings, pads, fluid, wheels + tires) but once you are there....the 125i/128i are relatively cheap to maintain for tracking, especially compared to the 135i guys (bigger brakes, tires fuel etc) but they are MUCH faster
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #61
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M Sport AW3

Garage List
The N52 is amazing. Ive put 46k miles of hard daily use on my car since purchasing it a little over a year and a half ago, it's now at 146k miles

No parts failures, however all i have done is replace every gasket above and below the head gasket as well as flushes. I ring it out every single time I drive it, I take it to the track, I deliver pizza with it, its also making 252whp on E85 most of the time lol

Such a great engine, seriously
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #62
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30ROB View Post
The N52 is amazing. Ive put 46k miles of hard daily use on my car since purchasing it a little over a year and a half ago, it's now at 146k miles

No parts failures, however all i have done is replace every gasket above and below the head gasket as well as flushes. I ring it out every single time I drive it, I take it to the track, I deliver pizza with it, its also making 252whp on E85 most of the time lol

Such a great engine, seriously
I was seriously considering an E46 330ci with sport package (ZHP for you guys), since there is much more support in the tuning/racing community locally on that car, compared to the E82.

Cams, legal headers, software etc none of that is available for the E82. Also the E46 325i and 330ci are class winners in RCN (German local racing series), heck even the E36 318 to 328 are class winners. But that N52 is so....nice! But everytime i see an E36 328i coupe....damn i seriously think i should sell the E82 and get it instead....looks amazing till today.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #63
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was seriously considering an E46 330ci with sport package (ZHP for you guys), since there is much more support in the tuning/racing community locally on that car, compared to the E82.

Cams, legal headers, software etc none of that is available for the E82. Also the E46 325i and 330ci are class winners in RCN (German local racing series), heck even the E36 318 to 328 are class winners. But that N52 is so....nice! But everytime i see an E36 328i coupe....damn i seriously think i should sell the E82 and get it instead....looks amazing till today.
The aftermarket for those cars is bigger because there was so much more of them, and they've just been around longer.

My ideal track toy would be an E30/E36 wagon (boxes are cool) with an N52 motor (for obvious reasons) and N54 transmission (for strength reasons). N52 is lighter than the M42 318i motor and makes more power than the M54 does (and without the VANOS, DISA, oil pump nut, and other issues).
      12-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #64
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
The aftermarket for those cars is bigger because there was so much more of them, and they've just been around longer.

My ideal track toy would be an E30/E36 wagon (boxes are cool) with an N52 motor (for obvious reasons) and N54 transmission (for strength reasons). N52 is lighter than the M42 318i motor and makes more power than the M54 does (and without the VANOS, DISA, oil pump nut, and other issues).
XD wagen daily/track weapon!!

I'm just a little depressed regarding the local aftermarket/tuning support for the 1 series in Germany ATM, hence why i browse some E36s and E46s.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #65
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
XD wagen daily/track weapon!!

I'm just a little depressed regarding the local aftermarket/tuning support for the 1 series in Germany ATM, hence why i browse some E36s and E46s.
Totally understandable with all the extra hoops you and manufacturers have to jump-through for mods to be made legal there. The price you pay for having the Autobahn at your disposal
      12-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #66
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Totally understandable with all the extra hoops you and manufacturers have to jump-through for mods to be made legal there. The price you pay for having the Autobahn at your disposal
No no, you can legalize anything here in TÜV, as long as you have a certificate of proof, showing the materials used are at TÜV standards or exceeding them.

Example is the KW CS suspension does not come with TÜV approval, neither does the camber plates. However, KW supply a proof of materials testing and manufacturing, so one pays a bit more to "make" them legal.

My point towards the E82, is that no one locally knows or does much to them. No one locally heard of replacing the RSFB to M3 makes a difference for example, their replies were "we never heard of the rear end of the E8x series "moving" so much". This comes from top "known" people locally as well, which surprised me.

Basically, E36, E46, E9x cars from the 318 to 335 and M3s are the "hot cakes" and you can find practically anything from cams, to intakes, ITBs etc. Outside of this...software tune and get done with it.

Even the N54s, they give ita tune and be done, i have yet to find someone who actually replaces the turbos and tunes custom software to get (for example) 500+hp reliably from it.
Appreciate 1